What's new

Chrome Razors - new,old and custom?

I really like the polished chrome finish on my Merkur Futur and Mergress.

My question is, are there any vintage Gillettes (or others) which are Chrome finished, any modern DEs which are chrome (other then Merkurs) and is it easy to get something like a nickel plated Gillette chrome plated?

I really like the chrome finish on my Merkur Futur and Mergress.

My question is, are there any vintage Gillettes (or others) which are Chrome finished, any modern DEs which are chrome (other then Merkurs) and is it easy to get something like a nickel plated Gillette chrome plated?

Well with a TTO you have to take it apart to have it plated.
Chrome plating is more costly then nickel because you have to nickel plate the part 1st the apply the chrome over it.
That why I just nickel plate my stuff.
It's hard to tell polish nickel from chrome unless they're side by side.

the NEW Norfolk from 1936 is chromium plated:

proxy.php

proxy.php

For a non-Merkur modern razor, there's also the chrome Goodfella 3 piece open comb. You just missed the group buy for them, though. But John, the guy who ran the group buy, says he will be stocking them at his site, so keep an eye out.

I suppose there are also some chrome Parker razors you could find, but I'm not familiar enough with them to point you to a particular model. However, if you want a modern chrome TTO, I think they'd be your best bet.

Bob, have you ever tried to chrome plate an already nickel plated razor (e.g. fatboy or slim). Is the disassembly the stumbling block? You're right, you can't tell the difference unless side by side and this is what is annoying me - I have chrome razor hangers and the nickel razors look visibly yellow when compared to the hanger.

Achim, that is a sweet razor - I'll have to keep my eye out.

Colphax, I already have a Goodfella on the way :wink: I have a couple of Parkers but they are both nickel.

Bob, have you ever tried to chrome plate an already nickel plated razor (e.g. fatboy or slim). Is the disassembly the stumbling block? You're right, you can't tell the difference unless side by side and this is what is annoying me - I have chrome razor hangers and the nickel razors look visibly yellow when compared to the hanger.

Achim, that is a sweet razor - I'll have to keep my eye out.

Colphax, I already have a Goodfella on the way :wink: I have a couple of Parkers but they are both nickel.

I've had Tech heads replated with nickel without stripping the old finish.
I send my stuff out to the pros but unless the nickel plating was sound you have to have it replated with nickel before the chrome.
I don't know why you can't chrome plate right over the brass, I've just been told that you can't and the polished nickel looks so good I see no reason to go to the extra expense.

I just got an Edwin Jagger Lined Chatsworth. It is chrome plated and it has the new Muhle head (very similar to a Merkur head, but with cleaner lines on the underbelly). Shaves like a dream...

From the Acquisitions thread:

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Royal, is that head the same on all the Chatsworth? I ordered a Chatsworth in ivory a while ago and am still waiting for it to cross the pond.

Royal, is that head the same on all the Chatsworth? I ordered a Chatsworth in ivory a while ago and am still waiting for it to cross the pond.

Edwin Jagger seems to be putting the Muhle head on all of their new razors. But this must have started happening recently, because their UK distributor still has the Merkur head pictured on its website. To be honest, I was a little surprised when it got here and didn't have a Merkur head. I think it probably depends whether the razor you purchased was taken from old stock or newer stock. After a couple of uses, though, I can tell you that the Muhle head shaves VERY similarly to Merkur heads. Not exactly the same, but pretty darn close. After I have a few more uses I am going to write up a comparison. Hope that helps!

Actually, as a Christmas present to myself, I ordered a EJ razor and Muhle razor with matching synthetic brushes asI don't do hair (...ish). I was expecting the head to be different and based on your experience they are going to be identical. I have emailed Muhle to get my razor changed to an open comb and hopefully they can do it.

Edwin Jagger seems to be putting the Muhle head on all of their new razors. But this must have started happening recently, because their UK distributor still has the Merkur head pictured on its website. To be honest, I was a little surprised when it got here and didn't have a Merkur head. I think it probably depends whether the razor you purchased was taken from old stock or newer stock. After a couple of uses, though, I can tell you that the Muhle head shaves VERY similarly to Merkur heads. Not exactly the same, but pretty darn close. After I have a few more uses I am going to write up a comparison. Hope that helps!

Where did you purchase your Chatsworth? Your acquisitions post sparked my interest so I contacted The English Shaving Company and received the following:

"Edwin Jagger have had significant issues with supplies from Dovo and so
are not now using the MErkur head.
Mr Jagger has sourced a new head for which Edwin Jagger own the tooling
and are very pleased with the quality.
The head is NOT made by Muehle; they do not manufacture any such metal
components.

Kind Regards

Tania Fulton
The English Shaving Company"

So, does that mean that a large proportion of Gillettes are nickel-plated? Or almost all of them?

Steve, most of the "silver" colored Gillettes were nickel plated; however, in the earlier models, some were actually silver plated.

If you look at a nickel plated razor along side a chrome plated one, the nickel will look to have a slightly yellow cast and the chrome will look slightly blue. If a silver plated razor is properly polished up, it will appear to have no color at all. It will reflect back true colors just like a mirror. (The coating on the back of a mirror is, in fact, silver.)

Regards,
Tom

Top Bottom