What's new

how to dispose of a double edges razor blade?

Hi everyone.

This is probably a really stupid question but im not 100% sure on this. When I've finished using a double edges razor do I then slide the used blade into the small pack it comes in? Just slide it in at the bottom of the pack?

Thanks.

you can do that or buy or make a blade bank. Westcoastshaving sells cheap ones if you don't want to make one yourself.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
That's what I do. Then when I start a new pack I simply toss the old one with all the old blades in the trash.

I would not throw any razors, even those contained in a blade bank or sharps disposal in the regular trash, as this poses a safety and health hazard to sanitation workers and animals.

I recommend using a sharps container made for syringes, scalpels and other sharp medical waste. They're very cheap and many have a rotating lid for safer disposal. A regular one should hold quite a few blades.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=sharps+containers&btnG=Search

A Google search will also net you a local sharps disposal company near you or there are companies that offer a mailback disposal service:

http://www.stericycle.com/consumer-needle-disposal.html

you can do that or buy or make a blade bank. Westcoastshaving sells cheap ones if you don't want to make one yourself.

These blade banks cost like $1.99 or less from Westcoast or other vendors. I ordered three when I placed an order for other items because shipping would have been more than a blade bank!
They also look good sitting in your shave den!

larger medicine bottles and larger vitamin (or supplement) bottles work well also. the med bottles have the advantage of being see through and having a child proof (allegedly) cap.

I would not throw any razors, even those contained in a blade bank or sharps disposal in the regular trash, as this poses a safety and health hazard to sanitation workers and animals.

Hence the idea of the tiny slot in a metal can top. It is highly unlikely that a blade could find its way back out when turned over. In fact I spent a good deal of time shaking the demo model I made and not one blade fell out.

I would not toss it in the regular trash either. Mine goes in the recycle bin which does not get touched by workers hands.

I use the 50 cent blade bank too...actually didn't cost me anything since the kiddos were eating the spaghetti-Os anyway. My can opener undoes the crimp on the edge so it's no problem to just glue it back down after cutting a slit in the top.

I use a large sharps container - about the size of a half gallon of milk and intended for hypo needles. Blades fit in perfect if you cant them 45 degrees. Damn thing will probably take my whole life to fill.

Also - my gf lives in an old apt with an old medicine cabinet. I just love using the slot and hearing them jingle as they go down the wall......

I bought a money bank, of the type that is like a tin can and has to be opened with a tin opener. I then wrote "Used razor blades do not open!" on it with a spirit marker and added a couple of pictures of a razor blade to underline the message. It didn't cost much and will probably last for decades.

I buy my blades in bulk so I can't just put them back into the old package as there isn't one....

Top Bottom