What's new

My old cheap brush works great!

When I first started DE shaving this summer (I think it was in June) I bought a long handle black slim adjustable off eBay, a puck of VDH deluxe, and a boar brush from Walgreens. I think I paid $5 for the brush. Once I realized how much I liked DE shaving, I bought a silvertip badger brush with a hand turned handle off eBay. It's really nice and I've been using ever since I got it back in early August. Frankly, I'm not sure why I even kept the old brush after using the silvertip.

Since we're going to be flying to PA for the holidays I've been thinking about what 'tools' I'm going to take with me. I've been thinking that I'd just take my good brush, but this morning I figured I'd try that old brush again to see if it would work. It felt pretty stiff compared to my silvertip. I was so skeptical that I soaked both of them just in case I decided to switch mid-shave. Well, much to my surprise, that cheap little brush whipped up a superb superlather of VDH deluxe and KMF. It even felt great on my face. I thought it would be a scratchy, stiff battle, but it turned out to be very enjoyable.

Anyone else try a cheap boar brush lately?

~Jeff

I bought the VDH on a whim and it turned out that I didn't really hate the experience of shaving with it. It's an awfully giant knot and it sheds a ridiculous amount, but the performance isn't atrocious. I was curious about other boar brushes and picked up the $20 Vulfix No. 9 boar. Every time I use it it gets a little better. Maybe it's my technique is improving or maybe the brush is still breaking in, but it's actually really nice. I reviewed it here on B&B and I really recommend it as (a) a good travel brush, or (b) perfect for guys with thick beards who don't shave all that frequently.

When I first started DE shaving this summer (I think it was in June) I bought a long handle black slim adjustable off eBay, a puck of VDH deluxe, and a boar brush from Walgreens. I think I paid $5 for the brush. Once I realized how much I liked DE shaving, I bought a silvertip badger brush with a hand turned handle off eBay. It's really nice and I've been using ever since I got it back in early August. Frankly, I'm not sure why I even kept the old brush after using the silvertip.

Since we're going to be flying to PA for the holidays I've been thinking about what 'tools' I'm going to take with me. I've been thinking that I'd just take my good brush, but this morning I figured I'd try that old brush again to see if it would work. It felt pretty stiff compared to my silvertip. I was so skeptical that I soaked both of them just in case I decided to switch mid-shave. Well, much to my surprise, that cheap little brush whipped up a superb superlather of VDH deluxe and KMF. It even felt great on my face. I thought it would be a scratchy, stiff battle, but it turned out to be very enjoyable.

Anyone else try a cheap boar brush lately?

~Jeff

The VDH boar is my main brush. I like it much better than the Burmas I was using in the past. I think it's much softer and I haven't had any significant shedding problem. I also have a Body Shop synthetic, which is nice, but it just doesn't work the same as a boar brush. One of these days I'll get a badger so I can see what all the fuss is about.

I find that I prefer boar to badger. I use my VDH the majority of the time and it works well for me, mounds of lather and soft on the face. I find badger "scritchy" and uncomfortable.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
The one you see in my avatar is about 25 years old. I really like the way it works, but it still sheds at least one hair with each use. I only use it at my cottage, where it resides. It is currently in deep freeze until spring.

I also have a VDH which hasn't lost a single hair after the first week or so. It quickly broke itself into a firm, yet soft tipped brush that works up a great lather in no time at all on every soap I have tried. I usually superlather with a cream and the VDH stays loaded enough for three passes easily. It seems I usually end up rinsing as much out of the brush as what I ended up using in my normal two pass shave.

I'd give it :thumbup: based on price and performance.

The VDH soaps and their boar brush were my sole setup for many years. I really liked the stiff hairs and thought badger felt wimpy. The only reason why I'm using badger now is because I found the brush in Dad's medicine cabinet.

Love my cheap brushes! I like the scrubby feel on my face. There have been a few very good brushes for sale on BST the last night or two, I've been getting more and more tempted to try one out but there will always be a place in my den for a cheapy or two. :001_rolle

I started with a VDH, then got a burma in a lot I purchased. The burmas knot fell out first use. Went back to the VDH, still using it. It is soft as can be, I love that brush.

I just bought a B&B Essential but I have a feeling I will use my VDH more.

I use a Windsor,an Omega 48 and Dad's old Wilkinson boar in my rotation.:wink:I think most guys used boar brushes in the heyday of traditional wet shaving,judging by the number for sale at present.:smile:Badger schmadger.:rolleyes:

I like to work my Omega into my rotation every now and then. Its a very capable brush with a nice feel. It really moves my beard around!

I used that cheap thing again today and yesterday wasn't a fluke. I only have two complaints. 1) It sheds just a little. At first it shed a lot, now just a little. But for about $5 I guess I can live with that. 2) Now I want to turn my own custom handle for a boar brush, but I can't find any boar knots for sale. I can find plenty of badger knots, but not any boar knots.

~Jeff

Just because something is cheap, doesn't mean it's bad. A lot of the time cheap products can stand up to their more expensive competitors. Sometimes though, only the expensive stuff will do.

The trick is to know which is which...

The VDH is my only brush, and I use only creams (so far), so that is the reverse of the "common knowledge" ... it works really well. But I do confess that I am lusting after at least a BBB, and silvertip is so, so tempting. If I were travelling, boar would be what I'd take. I'd be scared to death of leaving an expensive brush for housekeeping to "lose".

Pardon my ignorance, but what is VDH?
I've got a wilkinson sword boar brush and I feel it leaves something to be desired.

Also, what is the reason for boar for traveling?
Is it more durable or just a cost issue?

Pardon my ignorance, but what is VDH?
I've got a wilkinson sword boar brush and I feel it leaves something to be desired.

Also, what is the reason for boar for traveling?
Is it more durable or just a cost issue?

VDH = van der Hagen

It's the stuff that's available at most Walgreen's and Walmart stores.

~Jeff

There's a Shavemac in the mail but I recently bought a Cerrus boar brush. It's not prickly and lathers like a solid badger brush.

Top Bottom