What's new

hydrosol

Back when I first started, I picked up some Rose Hydrosol from AoS for facial toner after shaving. My bottle has long since depleted, and when it went out I didn't feel like spending another 25$ on something that is essentially water.

I did some research on what exactly a rose hydrosol is, and found out (in short) that it's really nothing more than rose water. So while I was at the supermarket, I found a bottle of rose water in the ethnic aisle for a buck fifty that was twice the size of the AoS bottle.

I've smelled it, tasted it, and used it as a toner. In every test, it appears to work no better or worse than the AoS stuff. I haven't had any breakouts or infections from "lesser quality"... I just can't tell any difference between the two.

Is there anything special about the AoS stuff? Or is the rose hydrosol toner just really a ploy to get people who don't know any better to spend more money? I don't think I've seen many (if any) other people here mention that they use a product like that.

I have the same stuff but stopped using it because it had just too strong a rose scent for me.

I guess you would have to read the ingredients to tell if the cheaper stuff had real rose or some artificial scent. Its the rose that supposedly is beneficial which the Aos is. If the cheaper stuff has some artificial stuff it might not allegedly work as well. Personally I found the Aos also did nothing for me so whether the stuff is natural or not, like all cosmetics I think they are made to make you feel better rather than do anything and extract the cash from your wallet.

Yeah, both products contain the exact same ingredients: Distilled Rose Water. No artificials, or anything else.

I can't say that it's ever really done much, but having always used it, I don't really know that it hasn't either... guess I should stop using it for a while and see if there's much difference :biggrin:

This sounds very similar to the whole alum block deal...one place you can buy a block for 20-30 bucks but almost every drug store and wallmart carry the same stuff in the form of a "deoderent" stick for a couple bucks.

Top Bottom