What's new

Drying blade and soaking it in alcohol?

I have read that to made a blade last longer, they should be dried after shaving. I have also read that dipping in alcohol and even soaking in alcohol will make a blade last longer by displacing water. Is this true and does anyone do this?

I have read that to made a blade last longer, they should be dried after shaving. I have also read that dipping in alcohol and even soaking in alcohol will make a blade last longer by displacing water. Is this true and does anyone do this?

Yes, it's true, keeping water off the blade should theoretically prevent oxidation (rust) from even starting.

Whether you want to just dry the blade, or go to the extent to rub in alcohol, or even soak, is all up to you. I would suggest doing a few tests to see if it makes the blade last longer for you, then decide.

Cheers.

J

I bought a bottle of 75% isopropyl alcohol and i'm going to find a small container that i can just drop the razor in when i'm done shaving to reuse the next time.

The only problem i forsee is how to get the blade OUT of the container safely.

I have never seen rust on a newer blade. The older blades that come with a vintage razors yes. I am sure that all the newer ones are made from stainless steel. They shouldn't rust. And some (Derby) are coated with a thin layer of polymer. I think that the alcohol could strip the polymer coat more quickly. I can't see alcohol preserving an edge at all. It sounds like a lot of work for something that would provide questionable results.

HAH!!

I found an old Zippo lighter tin, works fine, pour a 1/2 millimeter layer of alcohol in the bottom of it, drop the razor in, and just grab it out the next time.

Its such a small amount of alcohol used each time i'll never run out!

I tried alcohol for a week when I was using some carbon steel blades and had exactly that problem, it ate the coatings of the blades and made them rough to shave with.

I have been using Merkur blades and get 8 - 12 shaves per blade. My secret is soaking it in alcohol. No rust and stays sharp for a long time. When alcohol runs out, dip it in olive oil. ;)

I soak my razors in alcohol or barbiside while I am cleaning up after a shave and again while I am prepping for a shave. It has kept soap scum, mineral deposits, and rust from building up on the blades. I can't say that it has affected blade longevity for keeping any edge, it has just kept them sanitary, clean, and rust-free longer. But then again, they only soak for about 10 minutes each day.

I shave everyday. I usually toss my blade after the 3rd shave (they're cheap). No time to rust for them, so i never do anything, not even dry them after shaving....works for me <shrug>

That being said: I went to germany recently and forgot to take the feather blade out of my shaver at home. I came back 10 days later and the feather did not have any rust whatsoever on it. None. And that was a blade that was sitting in my bathroom, where there's more than enough water/steam buildup when someone takes a shower every day....and still no rust.

OK I am guilty. I don't rinse my blade in alcohol.

This comes up all the time. Why do so many fuss over their blades? We use them for three to four shaves and toss them into our blade banks and pop in a new blade.
These do not rust and alcohol does not magically sharpen the blade. Any soap scum that might build on a blade after three uses is so minimal, it is more like discoloration and will not effect the blade or its performance.

The use of barbicide is for sterilizing such things so unless you are sharing a blade with someone, this is a waste of time and money.

I leave blades in razors for up to thirty + days due to my rotation of razors. I do not switch blades from razor to razor and have had no issues. None.....

Pouring alcohol on a blade is pouring money down the drain and it is a waste of time as well.

If your a germaphobe you may want to rinse your new blade before putting it in your razor but remember, blades are sterilized after they have been produced, Even the blades that have been coated are sterilized. Not in the days gone by but today they are.

The whole idea of rinsing your blades and patting them dry is nonsense, a big waste of time and money. It is of no value to you or your shave.
Not to mention the added risk of cutting your fingers each time you handle a blade.

Use them and toss them, simple as that!

If you use a non stainless steel blade you can dip it in alcohol to dry it after you shave with it. It will prevent rust on the blade.

I know cleaning and drying the blade after each use will not prolong its life but I do it anyway,because I'm a clean freak and I can't help it.:cursing:

I bought a bottle of 75% isopropyl alcohol and i'm going to find a small container that i can just drop the razor in when i'm done shaving to reuse the next time. The only problem i forsee is how to get the blade OUT of the container safely.

I just swish the head of the razor in the alcohol for a few seconds, with the blade in situ, and then return the razor to the rack to dry. The work of moments.

In my experience, alcohol will not make your blades last longer. However, I do swab blades with alcohol between shaves to remove soap scum buildup...I have hard water, so this might be more of a problem for me than for others. My skin is apparently sensitive to soap scum on blades, and FWIW I have noticed that cleaning the blade has helped reduce redness/splotchiness/irritation post shave.

Isopropyl alcohol costs pennies at the drugstore, and it only takes a few seconds to do, so the benefits far outweigh the costs for me. Sure you have to be careful, but no more so than when you load a blade, or wash a kitchen knife. Just use a little common sense and watch what you're doing.

OK I am guilty. I don't rinse my blade in alcohol.

This comes up all the time. Why do so many fuss over their blades? We use them for three to four shaves and toss them into our blade banks and pop in a new blade.
These do not rust and alcohol does not magically sharpen the blade. Any soap scum that might build on a blade after three uses is so minimal, it is more like discoloration and will not effect the blade or its performance.

The use of barbicide is for sterilizing such things so unless you are sharing a blade with someone, this is a waste of time and money.

I leave blades in razors for up to thirty + days due to my rotation of razors. I do not switch blades from razor to razor and have had no issues. None.....

Pouring alcohol on a blade is pouring money down the drain and it is a waste of time as well.

If your a germaphobe you may want to rinse your new blade before putting it in your razor but remember, blades are sterilized after they have been produced, Even the blades that have been coated are sterilized. Not in the days gone by but today they are.

The whole idea of rinsing your blades and patting them dry is nonsense, a big waste of time and money. It is of no value to you or your shave.
Not to mention the added risk of cutting your fingers each time you handle a blade.

Use them and toss them, simple as that!

This is an area where people really differ in opinion. Here are my thoughts:

First: stainless steel does not rust the way that carbon steel does. However, it will "rust" or oxidize and yes, that may well make the edge duller faster.

Second: rinsing the blade in alcohol will get rid of any water left on the blade and it appears that yes, that may well keep the blade edge sharper longer.

Third: one of the reasons that people get redness or razor burn from shaving is that tiny abrasions on the skin get mildly infected by the bacteria that's already on one's skin, and the bacteria on the blade. That's why many of us use aftershave: the alcohol in it it kills the bacteria and prevents those tiny infections from the abrasions from shaving. Rinsing the blade in alcohol can help a great deal in that it can kill bacteria that lives on the blade and thereby lessen the redness many of us get from shaving.

Top Bottom