What's new

Getting a friend started in wetshaving through a Christmas present..

A buddy of mine had an electric of some sort that bit the dust. I told him about wetshaving and he likes the concept but says the start up costs (razor, brush, cream, AS, etc.) sounds like a pain in the ***.

So he got me a Christmas present I thought I'd return the gesture.
So I was gonna drop 25 bucks and get him a pure badger brush. Then I changed my mind and got him the Merkur HD, just like mine 'cept mine is the HD Slant. I felt the Barberpole and DAMN that thing is SWEET and I'll get it for myself some time but I can't afford the extra 10 bucks; the HD already stretched my budget. When I get some money I want the Barberpole Slant for my collection because that thing feels like it's sturdy enough to break your foot if you dropped it!

Anyway do you think I did good, starting him out an a Merkur HD instead of an entry level brush? I figure he can go get some brush and a good cream and stuff to accompany it. Or do you think I could have got him something different to start out? He doesn't look like he has thick whiskers, quite light looking. But still. :cool:

I think it's not a matter of the cost of things, but the amount of confusion you've saved him.

Buying him the razor, which would be the most confusing part of getting started, is the best thing you could have done.

Well done mate!

Kiel's right, and if you are near a Harmon Face Values or similar store, you can snag the VDH brush for $5. A puck of the soap alone should be under $2.

It's not a great brush, but it does get the job done and is tons better than the canned stuff out there. If your friend enjoys wet shaving, and he will, then he can use it as a travel brush, after he gets himself a nice badger one.

BTW, what kind of blades are you giving him?

I think a HD is a perfect starting point. the brush, well, a cheap one will be fine for now, but a crap razor wouldn't be the case. so you did the right thing ;)

I think there are a lot of people who see a DE razor to be a major investment in comparison to what they are currently shaving with. Once you remove that obstacle, they are going to be more enticed to give it a go. You can get an economical brush and cream/soap from any number of sources. Hopefully your friend will appreciate your investment.

Thank-you guys!
I threw in some of my sample packs I didn't use much of; Merkurs, Derbys, Chrystals (I think?)...should I throw in a pack of Swedes, I only have 5 packs left! Haha

I figure the DE would be the part everybody would find the biggest investment and a big start to an addiction. :D

I think you made a good choice, buying the razor for him. That is usually the most confusing and biggest investment, (in the beginning. :wink:) Once he is hooked, he will think nothing of dropping, a few bucks on the accouterments to go with the good razor. I know that once I had a razor, it was just downhill from there. As I am sure is the case with most of us! :biggrin:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I don't see how giving him a razor that he will be able to use continuously until he's an old man is anything other than a good thing.

Good choice.

The only concern I had/stil kind of had is that if he tries and doesn't succeed at first he'll ditch it for something else. I hope that's not the case and I'll stress the importance of technique! :D

I have no one to introduce to wet and/or DE shaving; all my friends were wet shavers with DE razor, the others "moved up". It is only I and one other person who still like classic DE shaving. All others know well what is a double-edge blade and a safety razor, and nowdays they are worshipping either expensive multiblades or store brand throw-away razors or electric.
The score is: two of us use DE, two of them electric, everybody else multiblades m3,/Sensor/Fusion/Schick, or a store brand, with brushless creams or canned foam. Citing one of them: "thanks God for clever people who invented multi blades."

Although I know two teenagers new to shaving, but they are into modern fragrances (Playboy, Armani Mania, Quicksilver and similar ) and a good looking razors with more than one blade (preferably Power variant, with a battery); while a shaving brush or anything classic they find to be old, stupid, outdated. Trying to introduce them to wet/DE shaving would be totaly useless and waste of money. So I don't bother.

Top Bottom