What's new

Searching for good used straights

I am looking for recommendations for good razors to restore and use/resell. I've gotten a couple of Wade & Butchers and Genevas. I've looked on ebay for Southern and Richardson but no luck. Any suggestions?

Rich

“You ought never to take anything that don’t belong to you - if you can not carry it off” – Mark Twain

Most vintage German, English and American razors are good. It is often more a matter of preference really. If you see one on ebay and think you will be able to restore it, buy it and start working on it. Start with the cheaper ones and if you are proficient you can afford to take on Pumas, Dubl Ducks etc.

Thanks fellas. What I'm looking for is a brand to look for. I know Wade & Butcher is well respected but what other brands are especially good?

Rich

“All good things arrive unto them that wait – and don’t die in the meantime.”
– Mark Twain

Thanks fellas. What I'm looking for is a brand to look for. I know Wade & Butcher is well respected but what other brands are especially good?

Goerge Wolstenholm
Fredrick Reynolds
Bengall
Cattaraugus
Genco
Filarmonica
Dubl Duck
Puma
Henkels
Torrey
Robeson
Shumate
William Elliot
Taylor

To name but a few.

Thanks Jlander! Now we're getting somewhere!

Rich

“Work and play are words used to describe the same thing under differing conditions.” – Mark Twain

Greaves and Sons, at the Sheaf Works
Edwin Blyde and Co Sheffield
Cadman and Sons, Sheffield (Bengall)
Jaques Le Coultre, Switzerland (look in the B&B review section for pics and evaluation on this one)
Wade, Wingfield &Rowbothom, Sheffield
Gotta, Solingen
Kama, Solingen
Union Cutlery, Olean NY
Geissen & Forsthoff

The Solingen razors sold by barber's suppliers under their various proprietary names are usually a good bet, too.

Best Regards

Graham

Top Bottom