What's new

Any aftershaves have an Earl Grey tea scent?

This might be kind of an odd request. I have been looking high and low for an aftershave that smells like Earl Grey tea and haven't had any luck. So I started looking for just a bergamont scent.

All I have come up with is this one from Avon. But I don't want to smell like a cowboy and I'm a little concerned that one may smell like I've been herding cattle.
http://www.avon.com/1/1/577-wild-country-after-shave.html

Does anyone have any feedback on that particular scent? Or any instruction on where I might find an Earl Grey? It is pretty much my favorite smell and I'd love to have it burning my face for a half hour every morning.

I believe Mama Bear has a pretty good Earl Gray type scent that she can add to an ASB. If you are after a super good splash though, go to The Shave Den. Joanna makes a very nice splash and you can get it made with Bergamont. She could even custom blend it to be even closer to the black tea/bergamont flavor of Earl Gray tea.

I would try the Avon anyway. Good aftershave and if in special, you can have it for around 7$.

I've read that this one can be compared to Pinaud clubman.

Is there someone on TSD in particular that I should contact about getting a custom blend of black tea/bergamont?

Although not specifically Earl Grey scented, DR Harris' Arlington, good old 4711 and T&H Trafalgar may all have some of the vibe you're after. The Arlington is a bit too lemon-y and the Trafalgar is a bit too orange-y, but you may find something to excite your nostrils. The Arlington is an especially nice splash in general in my opinion.

I believe Mama Bear has a pretty good Earl Gray type scent that she can add to an ASB. If you are after a super good splash though, go to The Shave Den. Joanna makes a very nice splash and you can get it made with Bergamont. She could even custom blend it to be even closer to the black tea/bergamont flavor of Earl Gray tea.

Bergamot oil (correct spelling) is what makes Earl Grey tea smell like Earl Grey tea. I agree that your best bet would be to have Mama Bear whip you up a Bergamot-scented AS.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure she doesn't do alcohol-based splashes. But she could probably do it in balm form for you, or in her lighter "summer" consistency. It's up to you.

Good luck!

Penhaligon's Bleinheim Bouquet has always reminded me of earl grey, bergamot and lemon are the main scents that I pick up.

I bought some Bergamot Essential Oil off Ebay for $7 shipped -- I bet if you added it to Nivea unscented balm you could get there.

The one thing to keep in mind about Bergamot EO is that when applied to skin, it enhances skin's photosensitivity. So if you use Bergamot oil straight-up, or put a fair amount of it into a skin preparation, you could be setting yourself up for a sunburn.

There are preparations of Bergamot EO available that have this particular chemical removed; odds are that both Mama Bear & Joanna @ TSD are using this particular form of the oil if they're using Bergamot EO (as opposed to a synthetic fragrance oil).

Just a heads up.

That is pretty interesting about the photosensitivity. I may give the recipe that thoughtcriminal linked a shot, it seems easy enough.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Queen of Blades over at The Shave Den was kind enough to oblige me in the creation of an Earl Grey splash.

It came in the mail last night and I gave it a first run this morning. Here is the trip report I posted on those forums in case anyone here was interested in giving it a try. I apologize for not being very articulate in describing the way it smells, but I am far from an expert at these sorts of things.

The long and the short is that I think the splash smells great, but only after 25 minutes or so while it evaporates/warms up.

You can get the scent in an AS Milk, splash, or shaving soap.
-----
I will admit to being a little disappointed straight away. I smelled it in the bottle and it smelled pretty good but the first few minutes after I put it on had almost a musty kind of smell to it.

After it started to warm up/evaporate I thought it may be a tad heavy on the bergamot but after 20 minutes or so it mellowed out a lot and has maintained almost exactly the scent I was looking for originally.

My only suggestion would be to perhaps be a little more liberal with the tea scent of it as the bergamot is pretty powerful in the first few minutes.

All in all though I think its a decent splash, one that I will likely reorder a full bottle of.

i´ve always found that lavander based creams smelled somewhat like earl gray, AoS lavander and Truefitt & hill, but thats only regarding shaving creams, i dont know if the a/s is similar

The Avon Wild Country Musk does not smell like Earl Grey, Bergamot, or anything herbal. It's not bad, but I really can't understand where the tea comparison is coming from?

I've been looking into Avon's men's products. Which one has the Bergamont scent? Is it their Wild Country? Have you tried Wild Country?

If you read the first post you will see that I have not. And if you read the post 3 posts above yours you would see that Wild Country does not smell much like Bergamont at all according to ClubmanRob.

Top Bottom