What's new

Parker 91R review is up...

I have a question:

Is your complaint about the three piece design aimed at this razor in particular or all three pieces in general?

I have a question:

Is your complaint about the three piece design aimed at this razor in particular or all three pieces in general?

My complaint is aimed at the 3 piece design in general. I consider the 3 piece design simply not as good as already available 2 piece designs or Butterfly doors. Probably just a personal preference.

I don't know why you wrote a review of this razor when you clearly state you dislike and find the 3 piece design inferior.
I beg to differ, I find the 3 piece design elegant in it's simplicity, relatively indestructible and possessing a flexibility that TTOs and 2 piece designs can't match.
I see no down side when changing the blade in a 3 piece, one unscrew the handle places the blade between the cap and base plate the reattaches the handle.
The only disadvantage is that the pieces can become separated and lost.
A TTO is made from many small parts and can have issues with it doors and blade exposure.
The 3 and 2 piece razors are both early Gillette design, Merkur which makes contemporary 2 piece razor has added a retaining ring to the knob which keeps it attached to the handle.
But the 3 piece razor has one advantage over the 2 piece design and that's flexibility.
The handle of the 2 piece is permanently attached to the base plate.
While on the 3 piece design not only is the handle a separate piece but all 3 piece razor since Gillette invented them use the same #10-32 threads.
This means all 3 piece razor handle are interchangeable, fat handles, skinny handles, long handle, short handles and fancy handle will all fit on the same head.
That's something impossible with a TTO or 2 piece razor and why 3 piece razor will continue to flourish.

As i am an individual and i do not represent anything else but me, the review is very subjective. Every review on this board is subjective as far as i am concerned. That's the whole point of the rating scale. People can submit their subjective reviews with a rating attached and overall you will get an average that probably becomes a pretty objective rating in the end...

In MY review though, i state MY subjective experiences with the product and give MY subjective rating....

If we would follow your advice and only submit reviews and ratings without prejudice, then we would never ever have a soap review. I never had a razor before with a 3 piece design and i don't care for it now that i have tried it. I expressed this in my review. If i buy a soap and i don't like the smell of it, then i should not review it?!

As i am an individual and i do not represent anything else but me, the review is very subjective. Every review on this board is subjective as far as i am concerned. That's the whole point of the rating scale. People can submit their subjective reviews with a rating attached and overall you will get an average that probably becomes a pretty objective rating in the end...

In MY review though, i state MY subjective experiences with the product and give MY subjective rating....

If we would follow your advice and only submit reviews and ratings without prejudice, then we would never ever have a soap review.

I found the review very helpful and interesting, so thank you (and that Montreal dude -- [GO LEAFS GO!]). The only 3-piece razor I have is a Feather Portable. I have to agree that I think the 3-piece design is outdated and not for me, though for a break-down travel razor, it's obviously an appropriate choice.

That said, I would consider the Parker 91R in spite of my preference for 2-piece or (better yet) TTO. Why? Because it would be nice to have such an aggressive razor at a very good price. Not that I'm getting all RAD on myself. :lol::lol::lol:

I should also add that even though the discussion right now concentrates mostly on the 3 piece design, the razor did not receive a (subjective) bad rating from me overall, but a better than average 74% rating, which i think is not bad at all.

I would recommend the razor to anyone who's looking for a very aggressive razor in a heartbeat.

I only use longer handled razors, so I bought the 91r earlier this year.
It's definitely more aggressive than the Merkurs - I haven't sliced my face up or anything but I will get razor burn if I am not very carefuly while using this thing.
I never do more than 2 passes with it - partly beceause I don't want to chance the irritation/burn and partly because this razor shaves closely.

I love the handle - thicker & heavier than the Merkur LHC but lighter & better balanced than the barber pole Merkurs.

In fact, according to our digital kitchen scale, the Parker was almost exactly half way in between. The weights were roughly:
LHC - 2 oz
91r - 3 oz
38c - 4 oz

I don't want people to be too scared of this thing - it is more aggressive than the Merkur head, but for an experienced DE shaver who pays attention, it will provide a fine shave. Playing around w/ different blade combos always makes a difference too.

FWIW, I really like using the Parker 91r handle and the Merkur LHC head together - best of both worlds for me.

Well, as I said in my review..I Love This Razor! It shaves me well, doesn't bite and is nice to look at. The three piece design is simple and reliable. Overall, for me, a joy to use and I look forward to using it. But, as they say, YMMV in all things shaving.

I love it, too. I prefer the agressive shave this one gives. I currently use Wilkinson's in it, but I'm going to try the Feather's once my order comes in. Any blades out there that any of you find works best with this model?

Thank you for starting this post about the 91R. I love reading positive reviews about it. By the way, great profile pic!

I don't know the Parker to shave with....had a look at a couple and thought they looked a bit tinny, but as to the 3-piece design, I think this is undoubtedly the most elegant, robust and efficient way to build a razor. A silo-head is a bit flash and feels special, but is complicated, un-necessarily expensive and time-consuming to manufacture. A "2-piece" a la an HD isn't a 2-piece at all- its a different 3 piece pretending to be a 2-piece for no reason. To make the 3 discrete components with a simple screw-together mechanism is for me, the ideal engineering solution. In fact, in the past week, I've ordered 2...an R-89 in the post and a 23c I'm picking up tomorrow!

R

rainman

I'm considering buying this razor. Problem is I have read about a lot of QC problems on this site and similiar sites. I also one time bought a TTO Parker and it was horribly disfigured. Returned it and lost shipping money. I know everyone will say their 3 piece razors are different. I would just have to tell you to even check this review section. I'm considering getting this on amazon since they have a good return policy.

Top Bottom