What's new

It's all between the ears.

Went for a health screening this morning. The thing I hate the most is giving blood cause I hate needles. When I was sitting in the waiting room I suddenly thought how silly that is. I shave myself every day and get nicks often! :rolleyes: Anyway, after realising that, the needle wasn't half as scary.

I used to hate needles too, then I got a few tattoos, and thought I'd be fine.

Got some blood work...turns out I wasn't fine, and almost fainted! In the end, believe it or not, it was the deadly mixture of anticipation and alcohol rubs. It apparently has a very common effect, stupid huh?

I used to hate needles too, then I got a few tattoos, and thought I'd be fine.

Got some blood work...turns out I wasn't fine, and almost fainted! In the end, believe it or not, it was the deadly mixture of anticipation and alcohol rubs. It apparently has a very common effect, stupid huh?

Ya know I got the tattoos but never completely got over the needle thing. There's a difference between sticking with a needle for a tattoo and jabbing with a needle for an injection. Like a stabbing in the local news!:lol:

I've given over 70 pints of blood over the years and I'm still not a great fan of needles!
I'm donating, too and the routine has given me some feeling of safety. Although the next donation will be my eighth I'm still a bit nervous until the needle is where it's supposed to be.
As for shaving with a straight, I didn't get cut badly the last shaves. It's time to try the spike. :lol:

Ya know I got the tattoos but never completely got over the needle thing. There's a difference between sticking with a needle for a tattoo and jabbing with a needle for an injection. Like a stabbing in the local news!:lol:

Haha ain't that the truth! Certain tattoos are comforting, others are annoying or frustrating...then there's your hip bones! OUCH!

I used to give blood but I have to be honest and admit that I just don't like the whole needle thing. The first time I had a blood test I was left with a bruise that stretched from between midway on my forearm to midway on my upper arm. I looked like I'd been given a punishment beating.

I've never had a nick or cut shaving that has been as uncomfortable as giving blood. Of course the expectation is a factor and the technique of the nurse makes all the difference.

It's not just in your head. ;-)

Hmmm, maybe you could get the Litany Against Fear tattooed on the inner side of your forearm, conveniently readable while being prepared for an injection. :biggrin:

Needles i dont mind. What i do mind are certain nurses at the hospital who apparently have no clue how to take blood, and end up having to poke you 3+ times, or do it so horribly wrong you get a giant bruise.

If you get a nurse who knows what they are doing, you get less than a second of pain, then nothing.

Now if they are INJECTING something, thats completely different.

I worked in the health service for many years , and saw some truly spine tingling needle use between Nuclear medicine and neurophysiology (Base of the foot , in between the toes etc etc).

If i ever find myself feeling apprehensive before a blood test or dental injection i just think back and realize whats coming up really isnt so bad after all..

Worst I had was a dentist injecting freezing into my gums, and then accidentally scraping the needle across the roof of my mouth.

Surprisingly, needles don't bother me at all though.

I've given over 70 pints of blood over the years and I'm still not a great fan of needles!

Gareth

I donate blood regularly too. More out of sense of guilt and duty because I'm Type O-. I also do it because I'm uncomfortable with blood drawing needles as well. I think this stems from my early childhood when I had routine blood work done. Sometimes I think facing a fear or uncomfortable situation is good for me. Shots are no problem, but those blood suckers are suckers! What's funny is that the part of the whole giving blood that gives me the shivers the most is when the nurse rubs that iodine solution all over my arm. For some reason it gives me the creeps!

Went for a health screening this morning. The thing I hate the most is giving blood cause I hate needles. When I was sitting in the waiting room I suddenly thought how silly that is. I shave myself every day and get nicks often! :rolleyes: Anyway, after realising that, the needle wasn't half as scary.

HAHA Whenever I donate, and I've donated well over 8 gallons, I say very loudly, "OH MY GOD, LOOKIT THE SIZE OF THAT NEEDLE!!! Did they get bigger since last time?!" The nurses laugh and the poor kid who's donating for the first time gets even queasier. :lol:

Top Bottom