What's new

Slickness

I've been experimenting with different shave soaps and creams. I'm trying to get a super-slick surface and maximize softening the beard hair and post-shave moisturizing.

I'm looking for opinions on super-slick creams or soaps. I've tried KMF lavender and Shea, as well as Palmolive (red tube). I know that there are probably "better" creams but availability is a bit of an issue locally. So, if I order some products, I want to improve my chances of getting the right product.

Interesting Jim. Nothing wrong with those goals, but I often find the concern with moisturizing shaving soaps and creams to be somewhat off target. I am only concerned with this quality to the extent that the soap or cream does not overly dry my skin.
While we can chalk this one up to personal preference, the level of moisturizing desired and required really varies significantly person to person. I do not think I would sacrifice slickness or lubrication while under the blade for the benefit of moisturiizing after the fact. I really go to some effort to remove the remnants of anything related to the lather at the end of my shave.

Hard to get slicker than Provence Sante shave soap. QED soaps rank up there as well. As for moisturizing, they are not necessarily correlated.

Scotto said:
Hard to get slicker than Provence Sante shave soap. QED soaps rank up there as well. As for moisturizing, they are not necessarily correlated.

Agreed! Also, you will not go wrong with Tabac.

Jimmy Gee said:
I've been experimenting with different shave soaps and creams. I'm trying to get a super-slick surface and maximize softening the beard hair and post-shave moisturizing.

I'm looking for opinions on super-slick creams or soaps. I've tried KMF lavender and Shea, as well as Palmolive (red tube). I know that there are probably "better" creams but availability is a bit of an issue locally. So, if I order some products, I want to improve my chances of getting the right product.

I have found the Palmolive Lather (red tube) cream to be super slick. When I am being luxurious, I like to use the Proraso pre-shave cream. Just about as good, though, is to apply a pre-shave of regular hair conditioner.

Tim

I find the Musgo cream very slick. It has Lanolin in it. If you face doesn't mind Lanolin, it might be worth a try.
~Mark

rustyblade said:
J.M. Fraser's, it is loaded with glycerin. You can really feel it when you rinse between passes. Super-slick.

The slickest cream I own - slicker than anything else I've used.

CAR's cube is mighty slick/moisturizing, as is Tabac soap, Provence Sante soap, Gold Dachs Soap, *sigh* Arko shaving cream, and the big daddy - king of all that is shaving - Will G. Shea butter, which was more lubricic and moisturizing than ALL of the aformentioned products. Unfortunatly with Will's passing, it is no longer available :07: :c17:

I have been seriously considering taking it to a chemist to have analyzed, so I can reproduce it.

The slickest and most moisturising of the soaps I have is ACCA KAPPA 1869 Almond shave soap. I've never seen in mentioned on the boards, which is too bad bcz it is an excellent, rather well priced soap.

The only place I've been able to find it is at MenEssentials.

I highly recommend you give it a try if you're looking for something thats slick as well as highly moisturising. I often don't even need to use aftershave after using this soap and I have a few spots of eczema on my face and neck.

Hope this helps.

joel said:
Will G. Shea butter, which was more lubricic and moisturizing than ALL of the aformentioned products. Unfortunatly with Will's passing, it is no longer available :07: :c17:

I have been seriously considering taking it to a chemist to have analyzed, so I can reproduce it.

I've read so much good about this soap. I don't know the details of the situation, but I've often wondered if he had a recipe. If so, could the recipe be sold to one of the Sues to make a WillG commemorative soap or the proceeds go to his family or an appropriate cause? Just a thought.

roughrider said:
Where do you guys buy J.M. Fraser's?

Toronto Beauty and Barber Supply - the only place that sells it. The company is Canadian and is geared towards supplying the trade. They run a couple of retail outlets in Toronto.

I think if you do a search, you'll find a link somewhere, if not, let me know and I'll post one.

A couple of things you should know before you pull the trigger:

1) the cream has a light lime/citrus scent that can best be described as inoffensive;

2) the lather is slightly different in that its a little thicker/less meringue like than what you're getting with the English creams and you'll have to play with your water/cream ratio to get the consistency you like;

3) a 450ml tub costs $10, but will cost you $13 to ship from Canada (plus packaging) - still a great deal given the size of the tub; and

4) IMHO, this is the slickest cream/soap I've ever used - whenever I'm using one of my GEM razors, this is the cream I'll use as it helps the large head glide a little better.

Top Bottom