What's new

Don't throw anything out

Hey all,

Just a quick tip for all the guys starting out. When I first started with the DE I bought a tub of proraso soap to use along with it. Originally I hated the stuff as I felt like it always gave me a rubbish shave. I thought proraso was the worst stuff ever invented. I was tempted to pass it on to someone else and never touch the stuff ever again, but I didn't. I shelved it.

Many months have passed since I first started and since then I've gotten better with my shaving technique and equally important lather building technique. So the other week it was hot in the morning as we are now into summer and I thought I'd give the cooling proraso a whirl and see if it had, or even I had gotten any better.

What I found out right away was that when I first started my lather was too dry as I wasn't using enough water. As that's now been corrected purely with time and experimentation, I built the slickest, creamiest lather out of all the creams/soaps I have tried and am now getting the best shaves of my life day after day. Now i'm still smooth close to 12 hours on.

So the moral is, sometimes when you are first starting out you may think a certain product may be a hunk of junk. Hold on to it and come back to it later, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks.

-Louis.

Good point..

Same goes for blades, etc.. With improved technique or different razors an awful blade to begin with could be your favorite down the road.

This is an excellent point. We so often want to blame a product for unpleasant shaves, when the real culprit is technique. Thanks for pointing this out Louis.

I went through the same thing with my merkur hd thought it shaved terrible almost sold it. After shaving six months with my gillettes I put the hd back in the rotation. What a difference, Baby butt smooth and minimal irritation in two passes. So don't go buying any new hardware till you master what you have. It's gonna take time to master the learning curve and each razor shaves differently.

Clayton

I went through the same thing with my merkur hd thought it shaved terrible almost sold it. After shaving six months with my gillettes I put the hd back in the rotation. What a difference, Baby butt smooth and minimal irritation in two passes. So don't go buying any new hardware till you master what you have. It's gonna take time to master the learning curve and each razor shaves differently.

Clayton

+1...unless you are selling it real cheap....then PM me please, you don't need that stinkin' razor!:lol:

Fantasic and unbelievably simple and logical tip. When I think back to all the stuff I chucked and passed on without a second try - blades, creams, even the odd razor. Oh well, the things we do in our DE infancy!

Top Bottom