What's new

Gentlemen's Folder

After seeing the pictures of the Wiliam Henry Knives I have fallen in love with them, unfortunately I can't come close to affording one. So I'm looking for a cheaper version.

I'm looking for a knife with between a 2 and 2.5 inch blade and 3 and 3 1/2 inches closed. As much as I love speed assist opening, I am looking for knive that doesn't have it and opens with a thumb stud. I also would like either wood scales or inlay but nothing else in terms of exotic materials. I'd love to find something with S30V steel, too. Other than Will Henry what else is out there that will fit that bill?

Thanks!

What model of WH you like the best? I assume that you have looked the biggest manufacturers , Spyderco, Benchmade, Cold steel, Kershaw etc.
Do they have any models what fits in your categories? I think the blade design is one of the most important factor in stylish knives and it is really a personal preference.
For example Persian Spydie is my favourite what comes to stylish knives but it's out of your specifies.

What kind of budget do you have? That might help narow things down a bit. Also, have a look at the B/S/T sections of the KnifeForums.com and BladeForums.com. Both are pretty active and this time of year can be especially good as folks are often selling to generate money for Christmas gifts.

Oh yeah it's a real beauty I agree that I could choose that too.
I think that there is no substitute for this at all. It's not the mass production knife and no one comes even close to that from the others.
You'll have to ask a bigger raise or take another extra job. :laugh:

Slightly larger and more expensive than your stated requirements, but the Benchmade 480 Shoki looks like a nice one. It can be had for about $125 shipped. S30V. 2.89" blade length. 3.79" closed.

proxy.php

The Benchmade Shoki is an Excellent recommendation. I've had my eye on one of those and took a look yesterday. I think it would be the best option in your price range that I know of.

Check out eBay. While the current WH models start out at a few hundred and go into the thousands, they made earlier models (Evolution series, I think they were called) which had stainless steel bolsters rather than titanium, and liner locks rather than button locks. I have one of these, as well as some current models. The early one is still fantastic, and the blade (although not ZDP 189) is superb - it was even cited in a knife magazine article in the past year as being in the top 1% of blades tested for their blade retention qualities by some guy with a obsession for testing blades for this. The Evolution series often goes for about $150, or even less and still is the real thing.

Check out eBay. While the current WH models start out at a few hundred and go into the thousands, they made earlier models (Evolution series, I think they were called) which had stainless steel bolsters rather than titanium, and liner locks rather than button locks. I have one of these, as well as some current models. The early one is still fantastic, and the blade (although not ZDP 189) is superb - it was even cited in a knife magazine article in the past year as being in the top 1% of blades tested for their blade retention qualities by some guy with a obsession for testing blades for this. The Evolution series often goes for about $150, or even less and still is the real thing.

TimmyBoston: what cbird describes here sounds a lot like my WH that you saw in the pix on the "what's in your pocket" thread -- I bought it about 10 or 12 years ago, and am all but certain that I didn't pay more than $100-something for it new (from the A G Russell site). Although the overall style, shape and theme is pretty much the same as the current Kestral, it's a bit simpler, with the stainless bolsters, liner locks, etc (and mine is a tad smaller, which is a plus for me...).

TimmyBoston: what cbird describes here sounds a lot like my WH that you saw in the pix on the "what's in your pocket" thread -- I bought it about 10 or 12 years ago, and am all but certain that I didn't pay more than $100-something for it new (from the A G Russell site). Although the overall style, shape and theme is pretty much the same as the current Kestral, it's a bit simpler, with the stainless bolsters, liner locks, etc (and mine is a tad smaller, which is a plus for me...).

Also: pretty sure the liners are nickel on mine...

I recently purchased a brand new Kershaw Nakamura on an Ebay store for $101 delivered.

VG-10 laminated blade, quincewood handles.

Nice.

I also strongly contemplated the Benchmade Shoki, as shown above, but I wanted a pocket clip, not a sheath, so I went with the Nakamura, and I'm not sad about it one bit!

All great knives but no way are the "gentleman's folders" Most are small tactical knives, No?

I would say they are gentleman's folders with a tactical or contemporary feel to them. This begs the question of what defines a gent's knife. To me, a gent's knife is on the smaller side, is of quality make, is carried in pocket, and has some embellishments for style that might make it less desirable as a true work knife.

I sometimes carry a Benchmade 330S which fits into this description (except for the embellishments). I wish Benchmade would make more knifes of it's size. I've also owned a Benchmade 850, but sold it a few years ago. A bit too pimpish for me with the rainbow anodization, but a nice knife still.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Quick question, what is the advantage of Damascus steel in a knife other than aesthetics? Are there any disadvantages?

Top Bottom