What's new

I'm done with alcohol based aftershaves

I'm done with alcohol based aftershaves. There, I said it. I have used many ab/as products over the past few months. From the obscure 'Denim' to the highly regarded Speick. Sadly, with each and every ab/as product that I used, my neck would turn red and stay red for about 10 minutes, my skin also tended to feel dry after a couple of hours.

I always believed that it had nothing to do with products that I used. Recently though I bought a bottle of Nivea Sensitive ASB and I've found that I no longer have the problems mentioned. I'm 99,9% sure that my problems were caused by the alcohol in those products. As such I am done with them. From now on it will only be non-alcohol based after shave products for me. Tonights shave was my last one with a ab/as product.

I've never understood the appeal of splashing alcohol on already irritated/vulnerable skin. Is it the cooling sensation that people like? It just reminds me of the sting that occurs when a tattoo artist rubs witch hazel all over your fresh tattoo. OUCH.

I've never understood the appeal of splashing alcohol on already irritated/vulnerable skin. Is it the cooling sensation that people like? It just reminds me of the sting that occurs when a tattoo artist rubs witch hazel all over your fresh tattoo. OUCH.

You got witch hazel? They always put neosporin on me.

Speaking of witch hazel, if you apply a small amount of it and let it dry before applying an alcohol based AS you may not feel the irritation.

YMMV of course :biggrin:

Or you can use alcohol after shaves to enforce good shaving habits. I just hacked up my face by using lather that was sub-par. Splashed on some alcohol after shave and I won't be making that lathering mistake again. :biggrin:

I use aftershaves in the warmer months. Balms are used in cooler weather when I need more protection.

Or you can use alcohol after shaves to enforce good shaving habits. I just hacked up my face by using lather that was sub-par. Splashed on some alcohol after shave and I won't be making that lathering mistake again. :biggrin:

:lol: "I've been a baaaad wetshaver," he says, looking seductively at his Alt-Innsbruck. "Now punish me!"

I usually don't use the splash by itself. Most of the time I use a balm or moisturizer after.

ESPECIALLY with Aqua Velva, first time I tried it alone, burned for more than half an hour.

When I shave at night without getting out (because my mornings go way too fast), I don't care about the smell so I use the cheap AV. It's the splash, then cold water again ang again, then Nivea ASB. And my face feels fine.

I agree with the cold, very cold water rise - my favorite part of the shave.
After the rise the alcohol AS have very little burn. I take up to 30 seconds splashing cold water on my face - now that wakes one up.

Alcohol based aftershaves are not moisturizers. I never use them alone. I usually apply some oil and then use the splash in order to 'seal' the skin after the moisturizer has been absorbed. The sting lets me know which areas I need to go easy on. Usually the sting is not so bad when the splash is applied after using oil or some moisturizer. Splashes are also good for warm humid days. During the winter I rarely use alcohol based splashes.

Crap, I dont wanna sound like an ad here but I have super sensitive skin and I use the Weleda Iris Toner as aftershave! It has alcohol and witch hazel etc in it and I swear it does not burn or get red. Actually, it makes my shaved skin feel fresh and comfortable with no need for moisturizer afterwards at all!!
I can post all ingredients if you wanna see them! Again, they are all natural and organically grown ingredients

As already stated, I like to use them as a commentary on my technique as much as anything else. This morning, for instance, I shaved very close and thought it was going to be bad, but when I put some Booster AS on (after a cold water rinse of course) there was just a quick and light sting followed by cooling and a nice scent. This told me that I had used good technique and didn't rip up my skin. As a man who is fairly new to DE use, this feedback is useful.

I'm done with alcohol based aftershaves. There, I said it. I have used many ab/as products over the past few months. From the obscure 'Denim' to the highly regarded Speick. Sadly, with each and every ab/as product that I used, my neck would turn red and stay red for about 10 minutes, my skin also tended to feel dry after a couple of hours.

I always believed that it had nothing to do with products that I used. Recently though I bought a bottle of Nivea Sensitive ASB and I've found that I no longer have the problems mentioned. I'm 99,9% sure that my problems were caused by the alcohol in those products. As such I am done with them. From now on it will only be non-alcohol based after shave products for me. Tonights shave was my last one with a ab/as product.

It is simple to find out what causes your irritation; next time just for the sake of an experiment apply a splash of brandy or vodka after shaving if you have it close by, or use a medicinal ethanol if you prefer to avoid brandy so people will not get a wrong impression they are talking to a drunken sot.

I am pretty sure other ingredients are source of your troubles; essential oils used in shaving products to add scents or/and cooling sensation may cause allergic reactions, most notably menthol and lavander. However, there are other ingredients that may cause reactions as well. But I don't think it is alcohol.

This is an example of one of the best elements of the board, IMO. Someone finding out what works for them is a great thing.

Funnily enough, i've gone in the almost total opposite direction. I'd not touched a splash in years until I started digging about on here. These days I end 99% of my shaves with an alcohol based splash and for me, they "seem" to be doing my skin better than when I used to use a balm every day.

This is an example of one of the best elements of the board, IMO.

Concur!

When I started out on my learning curve I was finishing my shaves with the Nivea sensitive balm almost every time. But now, I am almost always finishing with witch hazel and an alcohol splash. I highly recommend the Nivea sensitive balm for the initiate. It will save your face in the aftermath of learning what razor pressure, grain direction, and blade angle are all about. Good stuff for dealing with the battlefield. I still have it at the ready. My go to balm.

I love to use splashes with moisturizers so it's sad to hear that they don't fit to you.
But glad that you found the answer for your own best.
cheers

Yesterday, I revisited my Tabac splash for some reason and I liked it a lot. The problems mentioned were not there this time. Maybe it's because Tabac is formulated differently from other splashes? I don't know but I will surely continue using Tabac.

Top Bottom