What's new

a beginner

Ive searched around a bit on the straight razor forum and couldnt quite find the right answer to my question. I have a merkur HD that i am very happy with, and it has only sparked my interest in a straight razor. Any ways my question is such, what tips do any of you have for an inexpensive (sub 100 dollars) way to find out if i want to get into the straight razor world. Are there any good starter blades?

I was in the same boat a little while ago (mine still hasn't arrived.) What people were saying was to buy one used from the classified's on the forum, or get one from a reputable online place. I got one from theinvisibleedge.com because everyone on here has great things to say about them, and they come shaveready.

GB

Good advice above. I'm one of those that would lean more to our own Buy,Sell Trade forum. Lot's of good buys there and the blades also come shave ready. One thing, if I had to do it all over again, I would pick a particular class of straight blade and stick with it. I have all kinds of blades (round points, spikes, spanish points and acouple of french points) and everytime I pull a different one out for it's rotation I have to re-learn new techniques. I would respectfully submit that you stick to one kind of point to make life easier.
Maybe get some different ones for interest sake but stick to a type of razor you like. I could just sell some of my razors to thin out the herd but I love them all too much! :tongue_sm
Ernest

Yea sounds like very good advice, I like more of a classic look with a round point, noting too flashy

One of the cheapest ways is to buy a kit from http://www.ruprazor.com he is a member here, he has restored double arrows or wapi's when in stock and he sells a basic strop which is fine the razors are nothing fancy but are pre-sharpened and an excellent way to see if straight shaving is for you

A Wapienica (Wapi) will usually run you around $50+S&H. I have one and it is an excellent shaver. The only down side is that they aren't much to look at. Since you are only looking for a cheap test str8 it's hard to go wrong with a Wapi. Good luck!

Same here. I've been DE shaving a few weeks now but I'm interested in straights. I use Japanese water stones (1K&6K grits) for honing my kitchen knives. No trouble getting those to shave (arm, not face).

I've seen mention of good, functional straights in the $40 range on another post here, but no one gave names or links to places to buy them. Can anyone recommend a good stainless straight (round tip) for those of us on a budget?

Thanks,
-Andy

Good advice above. I'm one of those that would lean more to our own Buy,Sell Trade forum. Lot's of good buys there and the blades also come shave ready. One thing, if I had to do it all over again, I would pick a particular class of straight blade and stick with it. I have all kinds of blades (round points, spikes, spanish points and acouple of french points) and everytime I pull a different one out for it's rotation I have to re-learn new techniques. I would respectfully submit that you stick to one kind of point to make life easier.
Maybe get some different ones for interest sake but stick to a type of razor you like. I could just sell some of my razors to thin out the herd but I love them all too much! :tongue_sm
Ernest

Ernest, you suffer from RAD! Admit it!

Top Bottom