What's new

The Runners' Thread

I thought I'd start an official thread for the runners here. There are a few of us.

After this weekend's extra cold weather, I decided it was time to get some new gear. I went on a SmartWool binge: neck gaiter, winter gloves, base layers, hats, and tops. I had to go elsewhere for the pants/tights. I went with ASICS Thermopolis, Brooks Vapor Dry II, and Hind Munich. This new stuff should make for some very comfortable running. :a14:

I am slower than molasses going uphill on a cold winter's morning, but that said I should be running in Central Park next weekend for a casual four miler.

I really like the dry fit stuff. I never get road rash when I wear it.
It isn't very cold here in Austin, TX. so I am still running in shorts and a tank top. When it gets colder I'll add a sweat shirt. I don't like running with multiple layers of clothes on. If it's that cold I would rather run on a tread mill, yep I'm a sissy. I had enough running in crappy weather in the Marines to last me for a long time :001_smile

I hear ya. It's been chilly down here in the mornings and I haven't ran since the Memorial Day 5k.

When I am running regularly I really enjoy running in events, they help motivate me to keep training. Were you ever stationed at camp Lejeune? They had some great races there.

I really like doing intervals when I run. Using my ipod shuffle I've been warming up with military jody's and then going into the podrunner intervals program I'm not a techno geek so the mix can get a bit old on me, but the beat keeps me jumping "on the left". So far, I seem to get about 3 miles in every day or so and I am ramping up for more distance.

When I am running regularly I really enjoy running in events, they help motivate me to keep training. Were you ever stationed at camp Lejeune? They had some great races there.

Unfortunately, New River. I was actually training with the hopes of running the Marine Corps marathon before Desert Shield/Storm. Ran with bad shoes, and my flak jacket and deuce gear complete with two canteens full of water. 5 a day Mon. - Thurs. and 10 on Friday. Completely trashed my shins.

I really like doing intervals when I run. Using my ipod shuffle I've been warming up with military jody's and then going into the podrunner intervals program I'm not a techno geek so the mix can get a bit old on me, but the beat keeps me jumping "on the left". So far, I seem to get about 3 miles in every day or so and I am ramping up for more distance.

If you're into intervals, I strongly suggest you buy the Gymboss. It's the perfect tool.

I actually LOVE my garmin forerunner... can't beat it. Works wonders

Gymboss looks kinda cool. I could also use it for Tabatas. Do you use this thingy yourself?

If you have the money, the Garmin Forerunner is the best option. Depending on how seriously you train, you'll find many features to be indispensable. It's not cheap though. The Gymboss is an inexpensive tool to manage intervals only. I've been using it for years and I recommend it.

Actually it's pretty cheap compared to when I bought mine the 205 is 144 at amazon and the 305 (the 205+ a heart rate monitor) is only 168. That's less than you'll spend on shaving supplies this year. :p

Lately, I've had some minor pain and swelling in the region of my right foot's achilles tendon/muscle connection. It feels swollen after a run and if I press my finger on the tendon area and move my foot, I get a weird feeling/sensation I can only describe like a rubberband being pulled through my fingers. After some icing I get along okay, but I want to keep running. As a bit more background, I have had ACL surgery on my right knee in '87 and this condition may be a result of long time compensation on my right side.

Anyone have any experience or advice for these kind of symptoms?

I used to get something like that from time to time when I played tennis competitively. (it's been a few years, though)

It turned out to be related to arch support. Not enough of it, and not enough cushion in the heel.

Also, stretching before and after helped a whole lot.

Top Bottom