What's new

fast, easy, cheap & healthy ??

Hey campers -

In the spirit of our ongoing economic recession, it's time for another installment of fast, easy, cheap & healthy.

You've come home, have to make dinner for the family. For the about the price of a burger, fries & a soda, what can you come up with?

I'll offer grilled chicken caesar. Feeds three for under $7.
Tasty, nutritious & takes about 20 minutes.

3.00 chicken (a little over 3/4 lb, more than enough protein for 3)
2.00 lettuce (2 romaine hearts)
0.25 parmesan
0.50 anchovies (½ tin)
0.05 pepper
0.15 1 egg yolk
0.25 olive oil
0.70 small lemon / ½ large lemon

You want fries wit dat?
Okay -- a cup of cooked cous cous will add 30¢ or so to the total.

Breakfast is gonna be steel-cut oats.
½ cup (raw) is enough for 3-4, costs a whopping 30¢ for Trader Joe's.
Cooked with half an apple doubles the cost. Adding a handful of berries will bring it up to a dollar/bowl or so, but with a whack more taste & nutrition.

Okay -- who's got lunch?

Hey campers -

In the spirit of our ongoing economic recession, it's time for another installment of fast, easy, cheap & healthy.

You've come home, have to make dinner for the family. For the about the price of a burger, fries & a soda, what can you come up with?

I'll offer grilled chicken caesar. Feeds three for under $7.
Tasty, nutritious & takes about 20 minutes.

3.00 chicken (a little over 3/4 lb, more than enough protein for 3)
2.00 lettuce (2 romaine hearts)
0.25 parmesan
0.50 anchovies (½ tin)
0.05 pepper
0.15 1 egg yolk
0.25 olive oil
0.70 small lemon / ½ large lemon

You want fries wit dat?
Okay -- a cup of cooked cous cous will add 30¢ or so to the total.

½ cup (raw) is enough for 3-4, costs a whopping 30¢ for Trader Joe's.
Cooked with half an apple doubles the cost. Adding a handful of berries will bring it up to a dollar/bowl or so, but with a whack more taste & nutrition.

Okay -- who's got lunch?

Lunch -- just make twice as much chicken the night before (or make it during lunch, and re-use it for the salad you posted above), toast some bread, throw on whatever toppings you like, and you have yourself a nice sandwich.

Cheers.

J

you are assuming I can even manage to shake salt out of a shaker.
AND burn water.
You mean this isn't the former short-order cooks' forum?
I knew I shoulda taken that left toin at Albakoikee.

My #1 breakfast, prepared automatically for me each morning in my Zojirushi Fuzzy Logic Rice Cooker.
I hear ya!

We use the Zoji 3-cup KCC05 -- porridge setting, natch.

Hmm, lunch ... well, I am not going to price this out, but I would guesstimate it in the $7 range ...

Leftover beef roast or steak, cut into strips
Half package of steam fried noodles
2 Celery stalks
1 tin of sliced mushrooms or equivalent of fresh if you have them
1 or 2 bell peppers, yellow and/or red
Olive oil
Soya sauce

I use a 5 qt cover saute pan for the main dish. Heat pan with just enough olive oil to coat bottom of pan. Heat strips of beef, with chopped celery and mushrooms. Cook steam fried noodles in boiling water for 1 minute then drain, add to saute pan and toss contents with Soya to taste. Add sliced bell peppers on top, cover for two minutes, then serve.

For cheap, quick, and healthy, canned beans are the way to go.

Red kidney beans, black beans, and pintos are usually cheap as heck - especially if you go for generic store brands.

Two meal ideas:

- mixed with instant rice (brown rice in a bag is decent), with hot sauce

or my favorite
- stirred in a frying pan until the beans begin breaking down and get pasty. Serve rolled in flat wraps (tortillas? - you can usually find a bag of them for little $), with loads of hot sauce, of course. :biggrin:

Mmm...beans and hot sauce...

batchlor lettece,

half a iceberg lettece head, some salad dressing, eat over sink,
no trash, no dishes, no waste,

just fixed a cheapie lunch.
stripped meat off a leftover roast chicken,added to a pot of water at a very low boil.add black pepper,crushed red pepper,dried onion,dried garlic,ginger powder,chili garlic paste,2 chicken boullion cubes,1 beef boullion cube.
form 30-40 small meatballs (marble size or smaller)add to the broth as you make them. i used a ground turkey -deer-sausage mix that was left from burgers the two previous days.
boil a pkg of udon noodles.
enjoy!

One pound black beans- 1.00
One pound brown rice. 1.25
One Pound hickory smoked sausage 5.00
one box beef broth 1.99
one onion .30
one clove garlic .10

makes enough to feed a family of four twice. eight bowls of beans and rice for under 10 bucks