What's new

Newbie with a Shavette...

Well, my Dovo Shavette came in this week, and I've yielded it twice now. Having never used anything but cartridge razors, I was much more concerned with not slitting my throat than with getting a particularly close shave. And I was successful in that regard. Whew!
Yesterday I shaved again. This time (with all my vast experience) I was a little more concerned with the quality of shave, and slightly more comfortable with the feel of the razor against my face. It seems there is a definite difference in feel when you've got it "right" from when your angle is wrong. Is this what you all refer to as "feedback?"
Oh, and one more thing. I've never seen anyone mention this on B&B, but unless I'm missing something, it's almost impossible to see the blade when you're shaving high up on you cheek and near you sideburns. Is there a secret here, or is it just something you get used to?
Thanks

Remember to keep a light touch and yes, you will get used to shaving the various areas whether you can see them well or not. Do you plan on staying with the Shavette or moving to a straight?

I would like to move to an actual straight. Initial investment and proper technique for stropping/honing kept me from going right to a straight. I've read mixed opinions on starting with a shavette, but monetarily it was my only option! I have been looking for info on what would be a good straight to begin with, as well as the pros/cons of stainless vs. high carbon steel.

My Dovo Shavette arrived a couple of days ago. I'm still trying to get up the nerve to try my first shave. I have a question. What kind of blades are you using? I bought the green plastic holder with the long Fromm blades. Is this a good setup for a new Shavette user?

Boy, I wish I could give you some sort of advice, but seeing as how I've shaved a grand total of four times, I really don't feel qualified!:001_huh:

I can tell you I'm still using the second half of the double sided dovo blade that came with the shavette. I also have some Derby blades coming (hopefully soon) in the mail. I'm using the red adapter with the shorter blades, however, I currently have a beard, so I'm only shaving my cheeks and neck. I've wondered about covering the extra area with such a small blade come spring, but I'll burn that bridge when I come to it!

For what it's worth, I just cut myself for the first time (four shaves in) and I think it's mostly due to a little overconfidence because I hadn't cut myself yet. The end result, though, has been a gradually smoother shave after each attempt.

All I can say is, make sure you have a really good lather, that was my first problem. Good luck!:thumbup:

I've been shaving with a shavette for a little while now. My first mistake was definitely pushing too hard (even when I didn't think I was). One of the best pieces of advice was to focus on whisker reduction and not elimination. It should take multiple passes to get that clean shave. Another good piece of advice was to only tackle the sides to being with and progress slowly before getting to the difficult areas like the chin. I got alot of help from "world of straight razor shaving" by Lynn ABRAMS in this regard. There are some you tube videos as well by Lynn but they're not as good. Angle is important too no more than 30 degree's or so. Flatter will be easier. I moved from the red holder to black holder with the longer blades. It made it more akin to the straight razor shaving I've been working toward.

Good luck

A

Top Bottom