What's new

Anyone here use a merkur 3 pc and a vintage gillette but prefer the merkur?

Tell me why you like the merkur classic, long handle or HD.
I got into wet shaving because I wanted to try it, so I got a merkur long handle for a present. About that time I found this site and wanted a gillette TTO, so I bought a red tip ss.
I've been using both with derby blades and proraso for the past week, the merkur seems harsher, tears into my face more, while the old beaten up gillette seems just to glide better.
Even though the gillette is 52 y/o, worn, (got ripped off on ebay), and the supposed agressive red tip, it just seems better.
Is it something I'm doing wrong, does the merkur need a different technique?
I noticed the blade sticks out way more than the gillette so that could be it.

So I'm interested in opinions, are there happy merkur uses out there that have tried the rest, and think the merkur is better. Or are there heaps of other shavers out there that bought a merkur first, found this site, tried vintage shavers of other brands and never went back to their modern merkur because it simply isn't as good as the older razors?
I'm leaving the pricier or adjustable merkurs out of this, just talking about the entry level 3 piece razors and the old gillette three piece and TTO types.

I'm in almost the exact same boat. Tried the merkur long handle first and I liked it, then I got a Fatboy from ebay and I just love it. Haven't used the merkur since. I didn't really question it, though, I just figured the Fatboy works for me so I stuck with it. Probably going to sell the long handle. If something works why question it?

Well I've got some feathers, but I wasn't going to try them yet as I'm still new enough to this for even a derby to shred me up sometimes.

It's probably going to be a 50/50 split on who likes 3 pc merkurs over who likes vintage gillettes.
I'm not bashing the merkurs, I am new to WS so it may be something I am doing wrong. Which is why I pointed out that the blades sticks out a lot different between merkur and gillettes.
So if anyone out there has used both and prefers the merkur, did you have to adjust anything in your method to get a better shave with it? Ie different blade to a gillette, different angle etc?
I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why the merkur feels so bad for me. I want to keep and use it as it was a gift by my g/f and the first razor I used, but things aren't going so well with it. I'm going to try some different blades first, but part of asking this question is finding out if people needed feathers or another type of blade to make a merkur work for them.

It's a preference thing in part, and a technique thing in part. I like both my Gillette TTO's (I regularly use a slim and a super adjustable), and my vintage Slant. Different feel. They both work equally well. Once you get your technique down, you should be able to shave with either perfectly fine. ou just have to get to know your razor.

Or are there heaps of other shavers out there that bought a merkur first, found this site, tried vintage shavers of other brands and never went back to their modern merkur because it simply isn't as good as the older razors?

I like my Merkurs just fine where they are...on the shelf..:biggrin:

The fixed-head Merkurs suited me better from the start. Maybe it's the head geometry. I can get OK shaves from Techs and Super Speeds, but not totally satisfactory. I have shaved with the Slim and it is a fantastic razor, but the Merks have a hold on me for now.

I've used a Merkur Futur, Slant, HD, and "Barber Pole" ---------then I learned and bought a vintage Gillette "Fat Boy" and that's the best one of 'em all!!!!!!!!!!!!

I collect Vintage Gillettes ... but I SHAVE with a Merkur.

I think the Gillettes are better made. They look better. They have so much history and nostalgia associated with them. There are so many different models and styles to choose from ... that's why they make good collectibles.

But I SHAVE with a Merkur ... 39C, the infamous Sledgehammer Slant. Before that, my go-to razor was the trusty 34G.

I'm not going to try and analyze why the Merkur works better against my face. I don't even think about it when I have all these razors to choose from (about 8 right now) ... but I always reach for the Merkur.

I have a bunch of Vintage Gillettes but I use a Merkur 38C nearly every day.

I like size and weight of this razor. The head is aggressive enough for me to get a great shave but not so over the top that if I'm a little rushed I don't experience a bloodbath

I"ll say that I prefer my Merkur 1904 over my Gillettes, a SS and a New. The head geometry is different, and maybe that suits me better.

First off, I should mention that I collect old safety razors, and I like to try different models and compare them. I have tried many Gillette models and my preference runs toward some of the old open comb models and the red tip Superspeed. Of them all, the red tip would be my favorite.

I have two modern Merkurs and an old Pomco Diagonal, which is a namebranded Merkur Slant. My experience with these razors showed me that, of the Merkurs, the slant was the only one that I found to be something that I would use. To my taste, the open comb and the HD Merkur were nothing special and have been relagated to the drawers that hold my collection.

Regards,
Tom

I started a little over a year ago with a Merkur HD, heeding the advice of members here with a lot more knowledge than me.
After several months, I started picking up some Gillettes at antique stores, including Techs, the early, undated SS's, 50's SS's, Fatboy and Slim adjustables. Even a couple Gem Juniors.

I keep going back to the Merkur. Honestly, I think perhaps I don't give the others a fair chance, like shaving an entire month with one of them. I have given them a few days, and my face seems to become so aggravated, that I go back to the HD just to get calmed down again.

I know angle is a major factor with razors. I just can't seem to get THE angle with the Gillettes. I'll keep trying, though. I hear so many good things about them, I'm bound to find the sweet spot some year.

Until then....I'm going back to look at a red tip I saw for $5.00 last week.

See 'ya and Good Shaving

Kevin

I would agree with Jim that blade selection may play a part in it. I think many would agree that Merkurs shave better with sharper blades. Also Merkurs are more aggressive which means they are less tolerant of lapses in your technique. I learned to shave with vintage Gillettes (70s SS, 40s Tech, 50s SS, Red Tip) and they are very forgiving shavers. Even the Red Tip is an old softy compared to the Merkur Slant I recently acquired.

Keep practicing your technique with the Gillettes for a few months. Once you are able to cruise to somewhere between DFS and BBS daily without much effort pull the Merkur back out and load it with a nice sharp blade (Swede, 7 O'clock Yellow, Feather) and take it for a spin. I think you'll gain a new appreciation. I know I am impressed with the Slant so far. The shaves are effortless and closer than with the 50s SS I was using up till now. I can definitely tell it is more aggressive than the razors I've tried before so I really have to pay attention to my technique.

Good luck!

Someone correct me if I'm off the mark here, but the difference in head geometries (to me at least) seem to require the use of a more "straight on" razor angle (with the razor handle less parallel to the floor) with a Merkur, whereas a Gillette requires an angle where the handle is more parallel to the floor????

It always seemed to me that the Merkurs bend the blades more, therefore creating this requirement. I found that when I used to try and use a more "parallel to the floor" angle with my Merkur, I was more compelled to use pressure, as it didn't seem to be effectively cutting the hair. Since the blade was just barely skirting the hair, I had to push down in order to make it work.

The Gillettes, on the other hand, seem to hold the blades with less of a curve, with the blade protruding at more of a "straight out" angle from the razor head. Also, they have less of a gap between blade and safety bar. This, to me, require that the handle be held more parallel to the floor.

This is only one man's opinion, who by now means gets perfect, BBS shaves at all, and is constantly still experimenting and trying to improve technique.........so take it for what it's worth, and do some examining yourself.

Odd duck out I know, but I get better shaves with a 38C, using any blade, than I do with a red tip. My best shaves to date have been with a SE razor.

I have preferred vintage gillettes and just have not been happy with the HD. However, I kept trying different blades with it. At the moment, I am extremely happy with the HD with a KAI. At the moment it is my #1 combo.

I have an old Gillette i used since when I started shaving; until I got a Merkur Vision as a gift. The old Gillette is now sitting in the shelf and in a place in my heart.
My favorite Merkurs: The slant, Futur and Mergress.

Top Bottom