What's new

Best Pizza?

Around these parts, my house. Elsewhere - Pepes in New Haven is a transcendent experience. The white clam and bacon pie rates as one of the three best foods that I have ever consumed. :drool:

In Hoboken, within a quarter mile you can sample three great pizzerias and decide which is the best.

Benny Tudino's - between 6th and 7th streets on the west side of Washington Street gives a huge slice and is more tomatoey.

The Original H&S Giovanni's at the northeast corner of 6th and Washington gives a regular size slice that is cheesier than Benny's.

Filippo's also on the west side of Washington, between 4th and 5th has a slice that is perfectly seasoned. IMHO.

O

onedropsound

If other CT'ers are in Groton try out Ciro's on Long Hill Road....Good stuff!!!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Mike,

You need to get yourself up here to Green Bay and have a Cranky Pat's pizza. It used to be Frank and Pat's, but a divorce or something like that prompted the name change. Anyway, they make a super thin crust pizza and the one they call the special has a mountain of fresh mushrooms and sausage. I'm serious when I say a mountain. They use two hands to scoop out as many mushrooms as they can hold and it all goes on one pizza.

Mike,

You need to get yourself up here to Green Bay and have a Cranky Pat's pizza. It used to be Frank and Pat's, but a divorce or something like that prompted the name change. Anyway, they make a super thin crust pizza and the one they call the special has a mountain of fresh mushrooms and sausage. I'm serious when I say a mountain. They use two hands to scoop out as many mushrooms as they can hold and it all goes on one pizza.

yuck

Mike,

I get up to our GB office several times per year. Not to mention a Packers game or two. Where is this place?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I'm getting ready to go to NYC....SWMBO and I are going to Lombardi's for lunch. I'll let you guys know when I get back.

Lombardi's is nice...coal fired oven. I prefer Bazbeaux's in the Broad Ripple area of Indianapolis... my favorite pie they make there is described as:
NAPOLI – Capers, anchovies, fresh garlic, fresh basil. 10“ $9.95; 12“ $11.95; 16“ $18.95

Also Monty's Pizza in Clearwater, Florida... Real Live New Yorkers transplanted to the land of White Sugar Sand beaches!

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I get up to our GB office several times per year. Not to mention a Packers game or two. Where is this place?

Here's Cranky Pat's web site. It is on the corner of Bellevue and Cass in Green Bay. I didn't even know they had two other locations as noted on the web site.

If anyone ever has the pleasure/curse (depending on your view) of being in Richmond VA, the only place to even consider is "Bottom's Up". Solid pizza, with quality ingredients, although a bit expensive for Richmond...

Best that I've ever had though? Without a doubt, Gino's East in Chicago. Supposedly the pizza is infintely better now than it was in the past few years, mostly because they have moved back to their original location. Last time I went, we spent almost two hours in the alley drinking beer waiting to get in the door, and spent another hour at the table waiting for a pizza. When it finally showed up, it seemed small to me, and outrageously expensive.......

That being said, I honestly would buy a plane ticket tonight to go to Chicago for the sole reason of getting Gino's pizza. The whole combo is amazing, but there is something magical about the "wall to wall" sausage.:001_wub:

Well, I throw in my recommendations for the St Louis area.

Imo's pizza: The classic St. Louis-style pizza. Provel cheese (look it up), crust the thickness (and some complain taste of) cardboard, and good toppings. This is the standard.

Fortel's Pizza Den: A top notch local chain. A bit thicker than Imo's and far better in my very humble opinion. Still cut square, still (I think) made with provel, but the crust has a good flavor and the toppings are much better quality than Imo's.

Dewey's Pizza: A Cincinnati based chain. Local pride makes it hard to admit, but they make a heck of a pie.

Blackthorn Pizza Pub: The darkhorse on the list, and my personal favorite. It's a dive bar, complete with a few ancient arcade/bar games and dollar bills tacked to the ceiling. Order at the bar and show up early to get a table. The pizza is heavenly. Thick, loaded with pounds of cheese and toppings, and guaranteed to add inches to your waistline before you can even walk out the door. This is the place to go with the guys to pig out on awesome pizza, have a few drinks, and get rowdy.

When I lived in Washington the best by far was "The Rock", it was a wood fired pizza joint and small brewery in Tacoma, WA. Might be the best pizza I've ever eaten. Sadly in Japan, I haven't found a good pizza place.

IMO the best pizza in Indianapolis is a small New York Style Pizzeria on the northside of town in the suburb of Carmel named Bella Pizzeria.

If you ever happened to be in Vancouver, Canada, and want a real Italian pizza, go to Marcelo restaurant on #1404 Commercial Drive, in between Grant & Kitchener St. Owner and a chef is Italian. Telehone: 604-215-7760 Traditional, Italian thin crust, first class pizza. No deliveres or take outs; order, it is a restaurant, sit down and enjoy.

When my dad and I would travel to St. Louis. We would have Alicia's delivered to the hotel room. Are they still around(tried yellowpages)? That to me was a great thin crust greasy cheese slice.

Top Bottom