What's new

japanese whiskey

The other day i was going through some higher class whiskeys in a shop and saw some santory japanese whiskey, 86 euros for a 70cl bottle, while interesting, i have no expiriance with japanese whiskey, i have heard that its been improving and currently rivals the worlds best brews,

anyone has some opinons on this ?

The other day i was going through some higher class whiskeys in a shop and saw some santory japanese whiskey, 86 euros for a 70cl bottle, while interesting, i have no expiriance with japanese whiskey, i have heard that its been improving and currently rivals the worlds best brews,

anyone has some opinons on this ?

Suntory Yamzaki 12 and 18 are definitely world class single malts. I personally love Kirin single malt. Purists will turn up their noses, but the fact is that Suntory recently got a platinum metal from the BTI, and Japanese whiskey is fine stuff.

JimR,

Perhaps you can help me out. I was in a hostess bar in Koriyama a few years ago, and some local guy, a regular at that bar, proceded to get me quite drunk on something called (phonetically sounding) Show chee. It tasted like single malt and the next day I felt like I'd spent two days in hell. Any idea what this stuff was?

Mike

I miss whiskey in a can.......

Velomane, what you got drunk off of sounds like shochu, which is basically distilled rice. It is the most common mixer in japan, like vodka is in the states.

The next step up in alcohol content and awesomeness is awamori which is a okinawan drink.

I miss whiskey in a can.......

Velomane, what you got drunk off of sounds like shochu, which is basically distilled rice. It is the most common mixer in japan, like vodka is in the states.

The next step up in alcohol content and awesomeness is awamori which is a okinawan drink.

Shochu is ok, but too much stuff besides alcohol--wicked hangovers.

I'm still looking for your awamori, akady. Not available here, I'm afraid, but I should have better luck in a couple of weeks.

Shochu is ok, but too much stuff besides alcohol--wicked hangovers.

I'm still looking for your awamori, akady. Not available here, I'm afraid, but I should have better luck in a couple of weeks.

Ya its the sugar that will get ya the next day.

JimR I forgot to let you know I had a friend visit from Japan and she brought a bottle. If you do find some you should get yourself a bottle. The best I have found was くら (KURA) tastes amazing with coke or over ice with shikuwasa.

Yeah, that's what it was. Man, I can live without that stuff, or at least the hangover anyway. Now beer in vending machines, that was great!

I sampled the Suntory line at last year's WhiskyFest NY and they are really good. I would recommend picking up a bottle.

Ya its the sugar that will get ya the next day.

JimR I forgot to let you know I had a friend visit from Japan and she brought a bottle. If you do find some you should get yourself a bottle. The best I have found was くら (KURA) tastes amazing with coke or over ice with shikuwasa.

Cool, I'm glad you got some...
Never had awamori OR shikuwasa...
have to try it, I reckon. I take it you were in Okinawa?

More on topic, you guys are making me want to go to the liquor store...

Yeah, that's what it was. Man, I can live without that stuff, or at least the hangover anyway. Now beer in vending machines, that was great!

Dont let one bad night ruin the stuff for you. It can be very tasty. I liked how all the major beer companies had tons of seasons beers and well vending machine beers are great.

JimR, I was in tokyo, but there was a bar by us that was ran by an Okinawan man and his wife. A tall glass of awamori was the same price as a beer. you do the math.

On topic:

I only ever had the base line suntory whiskey, but I would say that stuff was good.

i remember a friend of mine that came over from the states was surprised to find they served beer in McDonalds, he got wasted in a Mcdonalds just so he could brag about it back in the states, wasnt the smartest movie, but it was funny,

I've tried the Japanese offerings at a couple of whiskey fests and it just doesn't impress me. At that price there are many other single malts that I feel are superior. It's not bad there are just others that are better.

The Suntory Yamazaki 12 is quite good. It's one of the lightest "Scotches" I've ever tasted. Its very user friendly, right up there with Glenlivet and possibly even more so.

Now the critically praised Suntory Yamazaki 18, I can't stand it. But fans of the Speyside Sherry monsters will most likely find something they really enjoy.

Top Bottom