What's new

Pro fusion or Con fusion

i actually get better results with the sensor/sensor excel. the fusion always feels like its pulling too much.

that said i use a the double edge 99.9% of the time.

I have to say, you do get what you pay for. I took out my Fusion that's been in the drawer for over a year. I stopped using it because of the cost. For the past year, I have been using my older Sensor and cheaper disposables from dollar stores and Sam's Club ...

So I used my Fusion again just now and it is the smoothest shave I have ever enxperienced. No cuts, no nicks, no nothing. I was so happy I made my wife feel it just to get her comment. She said: "Wow, which razor did you use?" I answered: "The most expensive one."

I've shaved with a number of different Fusions for years.

The newest one - the Fusion Power Proglide - is in fact the slickest and definitely most comfortable Fusion ever. It's also the most comfortable shave I've ever gotten....with any kind of razor.

Let me amend the above slightly. Shaving technique is shaving technique no matter what you are using. Prep, good soaps, good brushes, lathering technique - all of those make for not only the so-called 'wet shaving experience' - but they also make any razor or cartridge shave better. That's any as in ANY - including but not limited to Fusions.

The only other myth of the day which needs, probably, to be addressed, and repeatedly, has to do with the supposed prohibitive costs of Fusion or other Gillette cartridges. Yeah, they cost a lot. And, yeah, most people only get 3 or 4 or 5 good shaves out of them. But as a number of fairly intelligent people have pointed out, both in B&B and elsewhere, it's possible to extend the life of any cartridge significantly. The general consensus among those who know is that you have to totally DRY your cartridge after use. Usually this involves soft cloths or towels - for some it involves a quick rubbing alcohol rinse or even a shot under a hair dryer. I've adopted a variation of several techniques I read - dipping the cartridge into a solution of rubbing alcohol and....really good cognac! It makes the cartridge last waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer - probably because the alcohol dries so quickly - but it also makes it smell better.

How much longer? Good question. Let's say by at least a factor of 10. That's right, TEN. So......another myth bites the dust.

And having said that, obviously, no one razor - or cartridge - is right for everyone. And variety, as so many smart people seem to always assure us, is the spice of life.

And, yeah, Fusions look cheaper than beautiful metal DE shaving tools.

But to answer the original question posed in this thread: I'm PRO Fusion.

Definitely CON.

Mach 3 was better. Sensor was better than Mach 3. Atra and Sensor are a toss-up, to me.

My DE razor with a Polsilver SI is better than any of these cartridge systems.

+1 for this. I was OK with carts until I tried DE and kinda like Dorothy landing in Oz, it was like going from black and white to Technicolor.

After switching over to a DE 10 months ago, no one will ever convince me that I can get a great shave with a multi-blade cartridge. My neck is no longer chopped up and itchy and I no longer have ingrown hairs on my chin. The Force is strong. You will feel it soon and wish you didn't spend all of that money on Fusion cartridges. Welcome aboard.

new to DE & wetshaving.Learned alot reading,watching & experimenting,thanx.I am able to get a tremendous shave with my fusion since I got my lathering technique down & don't think I could get a better shave with a DE.I am willing to continue the journey but am wondering if there are others that find the fusion the best thing since...?
Never, ever having had the slightest interest in one of the things, I can only reiterate my parting experience with Gillette hardware. When the Mach3 was brand new, I acquired a new one. In an attempt to shave with it, the quality was so shoddy that the cartridge head detached itself repeatedly. Junk. Trash.

Why would I have any interest in anything further they want to palm off in the name of corporate greed? On the other hand, I believe I have tried just about everything that Schick has offered since the Mach3, and found both the Xtreme3 and the Hydro3 acceptable, although of multi-bladed shave systems, the pre-Mach3 Gillette. Sensor Excel Twin, is my favorite.

I can get great shaves from almost any bladed shaving instrument, although classic hardware has many, many advantages over the cartridge systems, and a Schick Injector can outshave, outlast, be faster (if wanted), and save plenty of blade / cartridge cost over any cartridge, that those have again become my overall preference.

I haven't used a cart since I discovered DE shaving October of 2012. Finding the wet shaving world was one of my best discoveries ever.

I say Pro

I am one of the lucky gents who got a perfect BBS from mach 3 every time with no nicks, cuts or irritation. I tried DE starting last week because of the cost.

I think in the past 14 years of shaving I have experienced one cut and no weepers. I generally let my beard grow out for 2 or 3 days (Longer if I'm not working, as is the case in the summer months). I'm able to take a shower, lather up without any real ceremony as in DE shaving, apply as much pressure as needed WTG and XTG and ATG and it's good every time. I'm done in like 2 minutes.

I will keep trying out DE. If I can master it, I will stick with it, but right now I'm leaning towards M3. We shall see... (I really want DE to work out, though..)

I will keep trying out DE. If I can master it, I will stick with it, but right now I'm leaning towards M3. We shall see... (I really want DE to work out, though..)
You could take the Trac II cartridge as an intermediate step. In my personal experience, when you can get good, irritation free, shaves from a Trac II, you can also shave with a DE razor. And the other way around (probably because the Trac II was developed for a public consisting mainly of DE shavers).

I have used both M3 and Fusion before switching over to DE. After more than a year with DE, I decided to try Fusion. All I can say is that my face was irritated for a whole day.

Fusion always tugged terrible for me. After a short stroke I had to try a lot to get out the whiskers clogging the razor. I simply really hated to shave before I begun with DE.

Sure there is a learning curve for DE, but I feel it was worth.

I have no doubt the vibrations helps you to cut the whiskers, but exactly the same can be done with a DE if you use the "Gillette Slide" (google for it).

In the same way as there are many manufactures of cartridges, there are many manufactures of DE blades. A bad DE blade can give a terrible shave while a good one makes it much better than Fusion. If you ever go with DE you should try Polsilver, Gillette Silver Blue and Voskhod blades.

If you're happy with the Fusion, and don't mind paying the cartridge costs, then there is nothing wrong with continuing to use the fusion. I stopped at the Mach3, but only because I hated paying for cartridges. I felt fine with the shave I got. I will say that shaving with a DE is more relaxing, but I'm not sure if that comes from the brush or the actual razor.

If you want to try a DE, there are many of pretty good quality that can be had for ~$20. Maggard (what I use), Cadet, and RazoRock are some that come to mind.

I'm not a huge proponent of cartridge razors, but it's not because I get bad shaves with them or anything. I used a fusion the other night because I was pressed for time. I used a good soap and brush, and ended up with a much closer shave than I've had in a while (chalk it up to complacency in my mediocre DE technique or a better razor, I don't really care). The issue for me though was that it felt like my face was on fire. Even with good soap I had terrible irritation, and the closest shave in the world is not worth that. But that's just me.

My father love his cartridge razor, and nothing I say will convince him to even leave his can of gel. Not saving money, not closer shaves, not anything. But he enjoys his fusion, and he gets satisfactory shaves (so I hear anyway; I haven't rubbed his face lately :tongue_sm) and who am I to judge?

I can get really close with both a cart razor and a DE razor--I just happen to prefer the DE razors because a) they don't irritate my face and the shave is much more enjoyable, b) they're more cost effective, and c) they just look darn cool. So even if you're happy with the fusion, I would still give a DE a shot. Check out the BST section of the forum, or even Amazon, and see if you can find an inexpensive place to start an experiment. If you don't like it after a month or two, awesome! Fusions are still the right razors for you. But I would recommend you at least give it a shot--you might find you enjoy the experience more, even if the shave is just as good. And when you're done, I'm sure there will be someone here who will take that DE razor off your hands! You've already dipped in your toe, why not jump in the pool?

You could take the Trac II cartridge as an intermediate step. In my personal experience, when you can get good, irritation free, shaves from a Trac II, you can also shave with a DE razor. And the other way around (probably because the Trac II was developed for a public consisting mainly of DE shavers).
My own take on the multi-bladed start is that sales growth flattened for both the larger classic razor producers, Gillette and Eversharp-Schick (I consider ASR / Gem to have been comparatively small sellers by then). The middle zone of married guys younger than 50-ish was heavily into electrics, and their wives put up with the poor shaves for some unknown reason.

Younger men still dating were using traditional razors, as were the Seniors. In the first case, to cater to their sensitive lady friends' cheeks, in the latter case, typical "set in their ways" behavior. Gillette started selling an injector of its own, and that gave them no traction. Schick tried the band idea, as did Gillette - big fail. Both of them put a doubled blade in their Injectors and finally had an angle to exploit, if they could keep them from clogging.

Wilkinson seems to have promoted the concept of a blade as part of a head / cartridge, without having protection from a patent, as if the idea was so old that the patents had expired. Trac II was the merging of the two, adding a between blades space that wouldn't clog up quite so fast.

I think that sums it up indeed; the Wilkinson T70 and the Trac more or less were continuations of the injector razor. Main difference being that you don't discard the injector blade, but the entire housing (the cartridge).

Later on, Gillette and Wilkinson added all kinds of unneeded stuff to their cartridge razors. But the Trac II is a good razor, in my opinion.

I've used the Fusion (which is documented here) and gotten some good shaves from it as well as some not-good shaves. I don't particularly care for it and wouldn't use it again. Others swear by it, and that's fine by me. I'm happy there are products in the marketplace that can accommodate just about everyone's needs and tastes.

Hmmm for me it became a practical consideration. . . Fusion blades or a loaf of bread. Resolved to de shaving out of necessity. Im glad in hindsight that circumstances made it this way. Still cannot find it within me to donate a ZAR 60.00 (fusion) blade to a landfill as opposed to my ZAR 2.00 blade ....

Top Bottom