What's new

What pocket knife do you carry?

Most of the time I carry a Spyderco Manix XL, it just balances better than the smaller Manix. Sometimes a ZT 0560 or 0566

UKPK for me. Probably the best knife we can legally carry over here

$10492485_10152628028919994_5126538515533213093_n.jpg

Just wondering...I play with my knives whilst watching my Fire TV. I cut myself frequently, just fooling around. I worked on the edge of my new Opinel #6 walnut, and made a really clean cut on my finger. Makes me happy because the blade is so sharp. Anyone else do this kind of foolishness? :blushing:

Every day I carry(and use quite a bit) a case "genuine stag" medium stockman. It's a dependable knife.

Edit: I don't collect knives really. I was given this knife(new) and it fit my "crap I wish I had a knife right now" needs. I am just glad that I carry a pocketknife now because I find myself using it almost every single day. I usually only prefer fixed blade knives but it isn't practical for every day carry.

Last edited:
Just picked up a Rat folding knife. Paid $29 for it and it's simply one of the best knives I've seen. It totally blows away the chinese spydey's I have and I'd even put it better than my Native. The blade is simply amazing.
My biggest criticism is that the scales aren't g10, which IMO would make it almost perfect. (looks like a more expensive version is available with it now)
A smaller criticism is that I would love to have a 2.5 or 2 inch version that would be a little more comfortable for me to carry daily at work. The 3.5 inch blade is just a hair to big for an office EDC, IMO.
I'm so impressed with it that I just might take it hunting, we'll see how it compares to my old Gerber gator with skinning a deer this fall. I'm interested in seeing how the edge holds. If it does well I might look at a g10 scale mod for it.
After seeing this, I'm seriously looking at getting a full size knife from them such as the RAT 5/3 or similar.

Anyone know what the real difference between the Ontario Rats and the Swamp Rats are? I've always drooled over the Rukki and the older Waki

Last edited:
Just picked up a Rat folding knife. Paid $29 for it and it's simply one of the best knives I've seen. It totally blows away the chinese spydey's I have and I'd even put it better than my Native. The blade is simply amazing.
My biggest criticism is that the scales aren't g10, which IMO would make it almost perfect. (looks like a more expensive version is available with it now)
A smaller criticism is that I would love to have a 2.5 or 2 inch version that would be a little more comfortable for me to carry daily at work. The 3.5 inch blade is just a hair to big for an office EDC, IMO.
I'm so impressed with it that I just might take it hunting, we'll see how it compares to my old Gerber gator with skinning a deer this fall. I'm interested in seeing how the edge holds. If it does well I might look at a g10 scale mod for it.
After seeing this, I'm seriously looking at getting a full size knife from them such as the RAT 5/3 or similar.

Anyone know what the real difference between the Ontario Rats and the Swamp Rats are? I've always drooled over the Rukki and the older Waki

I have a couple of ESEE Rat knives. One is the ESEE-5 and one is the 6. Both have micarta scales, but that is where the similarity ends. The -5 is THICK... a full 1/4" at the spine, and the main bevel begins dead-center (3/4") and maintains 3/4" from the cutting bevel all the way to the tip. The thing is a heavy beast, has a glass-breaker pommel, and one side of the scales has a dimple that is intended to be used at the top "bearing" for a bow drill.
http://www.eseeknives.com/esee-5.htm

The -6 is the same quality and has an awesome edge, but the blade is thinner... .188". No glass breaker or bearing divot.
http://www.eseeknives.com/esee-6.htm

These are not the Ontario Rat... these are the ESEE. The Ontario Rat-5 lists 0.137" thick and does not have the bearing divot... it does have the glass breaker. The Ontario is also half the price.
Swamp Rat is getting up there in price (and quality) with the ESEE, but you have to get up to the 6 and 7" blades to get 1/4", where ESEE runs the 3/16" on all but the -5.
Swamp Rat is the "production" end of Busse (separate sister companies).
With the Ontario Rat-5 being listed at 0.137", that's just barely over 1/8... just a hair under 9/64"... not even 5/32

Between the three... I'd consider Ontario to be acceptable, but not even close to ESEE or Swamp Rat. ESEE, Swamp Rat, and especially Busse are blades that will be passed down through the generations.

Daily - Benchmade 530 Pardue Axis. Razor sharp, Ultralite and Super slim. I forget i'm carrying it all the time!
Out exploring - Microtech Halo strapped on front of left shoulder backpack strap. Razor sharp, Super pointy and Ultrafast deployment. Good for anything that might come at you!

Kershaw Scalion Serrated
-OR-
Gerber / Emerson Alliance Serrated (Mil Issue Auto-Knife)

And of course while wandering around away from civilization you need that trusty Ka-Bar :D

Last edited:
Just used for a meal of bread, cheese and sausage. The bread were German rolls, the Cheese was "Oud Amsterdam" and the sausage was "Twentsche droge worst" ... delicious!

proxy.php

Little Kershaw which onion it is has worn off. Great little knife with a safety so it does not open in my pocket. Bought it from the Snap-On truck so if it breaks I just take it back to him for another. Don't think it will break though.

Just found it. It is a chive.

Last edited:
Benchmade Mini Griptillion. Almost lost it camping last weekend. It got knocked out of my pocket while loading the truck. One last pass through the campsite before leaving and I spotted it under the truck tire.

Top Bottom