What's new

What pocket knife do you carry?

$image.jpg
Got this UKPK in orange frn, a late christmas present. Will probably get most use at work.

Kind of funny I just noticed this thread.

My future son in law gave me a Case "Sod Cutter" pocket knife for Christmas.

Chestnut Bone Handle.

Perfect knife for a gent like myself to carry day in and day out.

Sure I have other knives but they need to be carried on a holster on my belt as they are a smidge too big for my pocket.

BTW, the last time I used it was to remove the plastic wrap from a puck of Sandalwood soap from The Art of Shaving that the Mrs. got me for Xmas!

I think I've just won 1st prize in the "Spot the fellow British person" competition :) no knives, no guns, not even a pointy stick !

Legion

Staff member
I think I've just won 1st prize in the "Spot the fellow British person" competition :) no knives, no guns, not even a pointy stick !

That describes Australia. I thought you guys could carry a knife as long as it was small and had no locking blade?

I just lost my favorite EDC knife bagging leaves for some neighbors. UGHHHH! My Ontario Rat 1. So I have been forced to carry my spyderco tenacious and Opinel No.7.

That describes Australia. I thought you guys could carry a knife as long as it was small and had no locking blade?
Correct. Under 3" and non locking. You can carry a bigger blade which locks but you must have a good reason, such as work. If you're travelling to or from work and you get caught with it, then you're in trouble.

Good old trusty Victorinox Alox Pioneer, all day/ every day. I have a few others I might carry with it, but the pioneer is always there.

Yes legion, you're right, I went for comic effect, it's just as wazza described it ;) best of luck with the aftershave ! I guess I need to find a J20 flavoured one, I don't drink :D

3 of my favorite knives of all time are cheaper than dirt and have been made forever and the other is gone forever.

1. An 8 dollar Old Hickory knife. I have 2 of the old discontinued Simitar shaped ones and they are great for heavy work or carving the Christmas ham. Cheapo 1095 high carbon steel gets diabolic sharp and not too hard that I can't whip on edge back on in a jiffy. I have way more expensive kitchen knives and still prefer to use these. I have a giant one I use as a Bushcraft knife for a Machete and keep broke ones in the garage for working on the car or general utility.

2, An El- Cheapo Utica Catskill Muskrat knife. Has two of the slimmest pointy blades you will ever see on a pocketknife and work great. Again plain Jane 1095 steel. I bought 2 of these as a kid in a trapping catalog and finally wore them down to slivers. They were stupid cheap then, about 6 bucks each so I ordered 2. I finally broke down and bought 2 more from the same catalog, Minnesota Trapping Supply, they still have em 35 years later but now they are 22.50, still an amazing price.

3. The beech handled Rapala fish fillet knives from Finland in 4, 6, and 9 inch length blades in small thin pieces of the legendary Swedish stainless . Flexy to get around bones, sharpens easy and just a super simple design that is comfortable to use and control. I have probably half dozen as the only cost about 13 dollars. The only thing I hate about these is I keep them in the kitchen drawer and my whole wife and family grab these instead of their 200 dollar chef knives to peel a carrot or every other thing. So, when I need to fillet a fish they will be dull as a boot from them using them and I automatically have to sharpen them. Handiest dang things in the house.

My other favorite knives were Western Knives made in Bolder Colorado who are now goners in bankruptcy. Coleman and others have tried to bring the brand back but they were never the same as the old Bolder knives from the 30s to 60s/ early 70s. They used a simple Chrome Vanadium steel that was NICE and were some of the finest knives North America ever produced for the price. Im always on the lookout for those, but only the ones stamped Bolder on em.

Happy Honing

Last edited:
My other favorite knives were Western Knives made in Bolder Colorado who are now goners in bankruptcy. Coleman and others have tried to bring the brand back but they were never the same as the old Bolder knives from the 30s to 60s/ early 70s. They used a simple Chrome Vanadium steel that was NICE and were some of the finest knives North America ever produced for the price. Im always on the lookout for those, but only the ones stamped Bolder on em.

I was given this western by my uncle 25ish years ago. It was used and abused then from being on a working farm and then spent many years in northern Ontario with me. Not pretty but holds an amazing edge.

proxy.php

Last edited:
I find it interesting how different countries have radically different laws on knives. Had to look it up when I went to the UK a few years back.

Here in the great white north a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device attached to or in the handle of the knife is a prohibited weapon (same class as automatic firearms with jail time for possessing). But anything else is fine to carry even if you don't see many people walking downtown Toronto with a knife on their belt. Many people do have a small folder of some nature on them.

"Not pretty but holds an amazing edge. "

What do you mean not pretty, thats a beauty with great patina and no pits, a great shape for a 40/50 ish yr old knife
And when you say they hold an amazing edge, you said it, I can see that hone line from here. you would just have to own one to know.
They have made sexier but never a better blade, hang on to it like an old friend.

Last edited:
I find it interesting how different countries have radically different laws on knives. Had to look it up when I went to the UK a few years back.

Here in the great white north a knife that has a blade that opens automatically by gravity or centrifugal force or by hand pressure applied to a button, spring or other device attached to or in the handle of the knife is a prohibited weapon (same class as automatic firearms with jail time for possessing). But anything else is fine to carry even if you don't see many people walking downtown Toronto with a knife on their belt. Many people do have a small folder of some nature on them.

Yes Skip, I wouldn't even risk carrying a Swiss Army knife anymore, even if they are supposedly legal in the uk, it's just not worth the risk :(

Top Bottom