What's new

What pocket knife do you carry?

Due to legislation in the UK I don't (and just about nobody does) carry a pocket knife anymore when out and about in town etc, only in the top tray of my toolkit, in my overalls at work or riding breeches when out with the horse. I am always careful to remember to leave it in the car when in town.

My usual one is a folding Whitby which to the US readers is similar in appearance to a classic buck knife.

If you are found with a pocket knife on your person when on public land in any built up area you will be arrested. You need to demonstrate good reason at the police station to be released without charge. It's easiest not to have one rather than having to go through the rigmarole.

If you were found in town carrying the knife that AABCDS has posted a picture of, you would be charged with carrying an offensive weapon, taken to court and prosecuted. If you could not prove good reason, you could end up with a prison sentence of up to 4 years.

It is completely illegal for anyone under the age of 16 to carry a pocket knife or any kind of knife at all on their person under any circumstances other than on private land. I remember when I was a kid everyone had a small pocket knife, but not anymore...........

An adult would never give a teenager a pocket knife as a gift - would be considered extremely irresponsible and inappropriate.

Last edited:
Always carry a Spyderco knife,and a Fenix keychain flashlight(150 lumens)
And as i am a newbie with DE shaving and love it so much,i think i am gonna start carrying my
Gillette slim like BOND.

Always carry a Spyderco knife,and a Fenix keychain flashlight(150 lumens)
And as i am a newbie with DE shaving and love it so much,i think i am gonna start carrying my
Gillette slim like BOND.
I love the Fenix flashlights, lots of bang for the buck.

Due to legislation in the UK I don't (and just about nobody does) carry a pocket knife anymore when out and about in town etc, only in the top tray of my toolkit, in my overalls at work or riding breeches when out with the horse. I am always careful to remember to leave it in the car when in town.

My usual one is a folding Whitby which to the US readers is similar in appearance to a classic buck knife.

If you are found with a pocket knife on your person when on public land in any built up area you will be arrested. You need to demonstrate good reason at the police station to be released without charge. It's easiest not to have one rather than having to go through the rigmarole.

If you were found in town carrying the knife that AABCDS has posted a picture of, you would be charged with carrying an offensive weapon, taken to court and prosecuted. If you could not prove good reason, you could end up with a prison sentence of up to 4 years.

It is completely illegal for anyone under the age of 16 to carry a pocket knife or any kind of knife at all on their person under any circumstances other than on private land. I remember when I was a kid everyone had a small pocket knife, but not anymore...........

An adult would never give a teenager a pocket knife as a gift - would be considered extremely irresponsible and inappropriate.

In Denmark we are allowed to carry blades up to 7 centimeters in length as long as they cannot lock in any way, cannot be opened with one hand only and are not spring loaded.
In the night life it is completely forbidden and you`d be pushing your luck if you walked in to some governement building.

Actually we recently had a case with a young man aspiring to become a policeman. He was pulled over for a routine speed comtrol and the officer found one of those plastic knives with the blade that can be pushed up and snapped off in pieces as it gets dulled. It`s made for cardboard boxes and costs app. 1- 2 USD.
This got written into his criminal records and thus broke his dreams for ever becoming a police officer as punished people are banned from the force here in Denmark.

That being said I have really become quite fond of my Leatherman Style CS, which fits under these rules with a blade length of about 3,5 centimetres.
I use the scissor about twenty times as often as I use the blade. Only downside is the scissor canot be sharpened but with a 25 year warranty I guess I am okay because regardless of how well built it is I doubt it will last that long.

Theoretically it is the same in the UK. You will get away with a very small folding knife which does not lock. However it's best not to have one at all to save the hassle if you get searched.

If you are going about your business i.e. work and require one you are permitted to but you have to be careful and certainly not on an evening.

Criminal law says that blades carried in public areas must not be fixed or locking, whereas Health & Safety at Work law insists that knife blades for work must be able to lock open for safety reasons, so there is a contradiction there. Basically it equates to keeping the knives in the workplace and not carrying them at other times. You may carry a knife to and from your workplace but it must be not readily usable for example a chef carrying a knife kit in a tool roll to work, or an electrician carrying a knife in a toolbag. A knife in a trouser pocket is a no-no.

As I said earlier, teenagers and knives don't mix. Nobody under the age of 16 may carry a knife in a public area at all or on private land without permission of the landowner. (Note its acceptable on private land where used for a lawful activity and with permission of the landowner). An adult would normally lend a knife for the duration of the activity.

Exceptions are for military personnel when appropriate (subject to their own regulations) religious or ceremonial reasons e.g a Scottish Dirk or Sikh Kirpan when used for ceremonial purposes.

For hunting knives, carrying one for hunting and fishing is not normally an issue as the activity is carried out on private land and you can pretty much do what you want with permission of the landowner.

The kind of knife pictured on an earlier post would be classed as an offensive weapon if carried in a public place. On private land it would be OK.

Last edited:
Leatherman and similar tools were quite popular here about 20 years ago but with the toughening up, they are very rarely seen for sale these days, and usually only in fishing tackle and mountain climbing shops.

Butterfly knives, switchblades and ceramic knives designed not to show up on metal detectors are completely illegal except for military personnel with appropriate authorisation.

Last edited:
Theoretically it is the same in the UK. You will get away with a very small folding knife which does not lock. However it's best not to have one at all to save the hassle if you get searched.

If you are going about your business i.e. work and require one you are permitted to but you have to be careful and certainly not on an evening.

Criminal law says that blades carried in public areas must not be fixed or locking, whereas Health & Safety at Work law insists that knife blades for work must be able to lock open for safety reasons, so there is a contradiction there. Basically it equates to keeping the knives in the workplace and not carrying them at other times. You may carry a knife to and from your workplace but it must be not readily usable for example a chef carrying a knife kit in a tool roll to work, or an electrician carrying a knife in a toolbag. A knife in a trouser pocket is a no-no.

As I said earlier, teenagers and knives don't mix. Nobody under the age of 16 may carry a knife in a public area at all or on private land without permission of the landowner. (Note its acceptable on private land where used for a lawful activity and with permission of the landowner). An adult would normally lend a knife for the duration of the activity.

Exceptions are for military personnel when appropriate (subject to their own regulations) religious or ceremonial reasons e.g a Scottish Dirk or Sikh Kirpan when used for ceremonial purposes.

For hunting knives, carrying one for hunting and fishing is not normally an issue as the activity is carried out on private land and you can pretty much do what you want with permission of the landowner.

The kind of knife pictured on an earlier post would be classed as an offensive weapon if carried in a public place. On private land it would be OK.

What a contrast to my childhood - although I am sure it wouldn't be permitted today - I carried a pocketknife to school daily and thought nothing of it. It was simply a tool - a single balde gerber that I still have.

Us likewise. When I was at school in the 70s, many kids did.

However in the last 20 years, knife crime with teenagers has become a major problem, so its taboo now.

Well, at the moment I carry a multitool (Leatherman Charge TTi) and a self made tiny fixed blade in Stainless Damascus and Mother of Pearl. Here they are:

proxy.php

Attachments

• $edcaw.jpg
    $edcaw.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 177
Top Bottom