What's new

What pocket knife do you carry?

When I was in high school it was weird to see someone not having a Buck 110 on their belt. Granted I graduated in 1985 and lived in Alaska.

I've got an opinel 6 carbon blade and a swiss army multitool (which I got for my 15th birthday) but they rarely leave home unless I'm mountaineering/hiking/fishing... (I use the opinel more for wood marking, though) as it is forbidden in Spain to carry a knife in public (although it's extremely unlikely you would be searched just because, but in these times of unrest spanish policemen are becoming more and more suspicious of anyone "potentially violent", which is to say, any young person who doesn't look like he's voted conservative). Anyway, I don't really see the need for it in a big city.

This is what I normaly carry as EDC.

proxy.php

Zero Tollerance 300
Kershaw Junkyard Dog II
No name Muti-tool

I work at the airport so I can't bring knives with me, but on my days off I usually have my trusty ol' Swiss army Spartan close by.
$41XR03FSYPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I use the large blade for most chores, and keep the small blade razor sharp when I need precision. The bottle opener and corkscrew are a must for me. You never know when you'll need them.

These are the Whitby knives. Mine is quite old and made in Sheffield. Unfortunately like everything else, the factory is closed and they are now made in the far east. They are cheaper and the quality is nowhere near as good. There is one of mine somewhere on the moors near where I live and my current one is my second.

$whitby.jpg

The Great Eastern Cutlery "Calf Roper" stockman has been getting plenty of pocket time. This one has ebony scales and high carbon steel and it rides well in the pocket. The wine is not an EDC, just happened to be part of the picture :001_tongu

proxy.php

My EDC is a Kershaw Leek w/ stainless scales. Don't especially like the framelock, but the sleek, low-profile design works great for shoving in my jeans and hitting the road!

I love my Kershaw. It is a Ken Onion Hard point assisted open. Even preffer this to both the Boker and Benchmade knives I have owned similar in style and atleast 5x the price

5 years in prison for carrying a knife this side of the pond:w00t:
Unless you have a legitimate reason to carry one....which I don't. So, in my lunchbox I have an Opinel No7 carbon steel blade, cheap, sharp and simple design.

In my mountaineering days it was a locking swiss army knife and my old army belt/boot knife which was secured in the sheath with a thumb-flickable press stud - I used to have it hanging hilt down inside the tent after seeing someone else trapped in a burning and molten tent. Had a razor sharp and pointy double edge. Some bastard burgled it along with my dads medals.

As a member of the British Kendo Association there's loads of us with swords that travel around the country training but still need to be a member of such an organisation with insurance/licence, and have them wrapped in a cloth bag inside a lockable case (so they are not readily usable when taken out) and with insurance documents, preferably locked in the boot(trunk) of the car. If stopped by the police we have the right to refuse to show them on the spot as to do so would be committing an offence under the Offensive Weopons Act, they should know that but it still happens about once a year somewhere.

Last edited:
I live in California. Knife-laws here are pretty straight-forward; you can have a spring-assisted knife provided that it is not concealed (*and simply having the clip exposed is enough, I have confirmed this with police). You cannot have an automatic knife, a butterfly knife, or any knife with both edges sharpened (dagger); those are serious charges (felony).

I am a wildlife biologist and work outdoors every day; my knives are tools. When asked if I have any weapons on me, I can honestly answer no. I have a tool that could be used as a weapon, but the same could be said of my hands.

Top Bottom