What's new

aluminium in alumbar/anti-perspirant

Hi there folks,

Recently I've read some negative things about the neurotoxicity of aluminium commonly found in antiperspirant deodorants and specifically in alum bars.

I've read that with extended use exposure to aluminium can induce Alzheimers and that it can cause breast cancer.

The general go with roll-on deodorants is that with sufficient hair covering your arm pits the concentration of aluminium is not strong enough to penetrate your lymph nodes (behind the armpit skin). Presumably this logic is not applicable to your face!

Seeing as alum-bars seem to be all the rage in this forum, I thought i'd inquire from you more experienced users, as to your opinions on the issue.

The aluminum in alum (aluminum potassium sulfate) is a different structure than the aluminum in commercial deodorants (aluminum oxide). I'm no chemist, so I don't know what the difference means. I just know that typically the alum crystals are touted as being a natural, therefore preferable, alternative to more toxic commercial deodorants. I hadn't seen anything specifically addressing the aluminum compound in alum - I'd like to know more about this specific compound and how it is absorbed into the body in order to make a decision. Can you provide any more info or link to an article?

... aluminum in commercial deodorants (aluminum oxide)

It's usually Aluminium Chlorohydrate...

Also back to the OP - there is no research that shows that aluminium causes cancer or Alzheimer's only that it's present. It may be that the cancer or Alzheimer's causes increased deposition of aluminium...

Either way I'd be more concerned at the use of aluminium cooking vessels with acidic or alkaline foods as both may lead to direct ingestion of aluminium compounds - even then I'm more concerned that I'll be run over by a bus driven by a lottery winner.

This concern has been brought up numerous times before. A quick search of the archives will pull up numerous posts regarding aluminum in these products.

While I don't have a reference with me, there has been no definitive link between aluminum causing Alzheimer's. If you do any sort of background research you will probably find as many articles proving a link versus articles saying there is no link between aluminum and Alzheimer's.

We are exposed to aluminum in more ways than just bathroom products. Medicine, water, cookware, and food all contain aluminum. Just because your body is exposed to aluminum does not mean you will form Alzheimer's plaques. The opposite could apply e.g. that Alzheimer's plaques form first and then begin to sequester aluminum from the blood stream.

Your statement about the hair in your armpit minimizing aluminum in the lymph nodes is also off. The aluminum needs to reach the skin in order to close the pores and minimize sweating. The hair in your armpit will not minimize the effects of the aluminum, if anything it might cause a higher concentration of aluminum in the armpit area as more antiperspirant is sticking to the armpit hair.

It's usually Aluminium Chlorohydrate...
You're right. It is typically aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrate. I didn't look this up before I posted.

This concern has been brought up numerous times before. A quick search of the archives will pull up numerous posts regarding aluminum in these products.

While I don't have a reference with me, there has been no definitive link between aluminum causing Alzheimer's. If you do any sort of background research you will probably find as many articles proving a link versus articles saying there is no link between aluminum and Alzheimer's.

We are exposed to aluminum in more ways than just bathroom products. Medicine, water, cookware, and food all contain aluminum. Just because your body is exposed to aluminum does not mean you will form Alzheimer's plaques. The opposite could apply e.g. that Alzheimer's plaques form first and then begin to sequester aluminum from the blood stream.

Your statement about the hair in your armpit minimizing aluminum in the lymph nodes is also off. The aluminum needs to reach the skin in order to close the pores and minimize sweating. The hair in your armpit will not minimize the effects of the aluminum, if anything it might cause a higher concentration of aluminum in the armpit area as more antiperspirant is sticking to the armpit hair.

You, sir, are also right. There's no definitive answer for the amount of harm, if any, these chemicals cause our bodies. However, some cautious restriction of exposure is probably warranted.
I'm really curious to know about the aluminum that appears specifically in alum.

Well, if you had done a little research here before posting, you would have discovered that this has been discussed and debunked to death already.

Not meant to be a harsh welcome. But this is meaningless.

I'm really curious to know about the aluminum that appears specifically in alum.

I'm a chemist by training so I'll take a stab at this.

Aluminum is aluminum, there's nothing that makes it more dangerous in one of these compounds versus another. The aluminum in alum is an aluminum salt. Just like regular table salt, when it hits water the aluminum will form aluminum ions. Aluminum chlorohyrdate is also a salt, so it will also form aluminum ions when it hits water.

The point is, since they're both salts, you get the same end product: aluminum ions.

The only way that aluminum might behave differently is if it were covalently bonded to an organic compound, so it can't make ions. I know from research that this is particularly true of organic-mercury complexes, which are extremely dangerous.

Actually, a pretty enlightening thread is here which specifically addresses alum. Previously I hadn't seen this question answered.
Glad I used that search feature...

Top Bottom