What's new

Best Aftershave for Fighting Razor Burn

I highly recommend you try CODE BLUE by Brave Soldier (available at Menessentials). I had a nasty case of razor burn the other day - used a blade for longer than i shoul have - and within 5 minutes i could already feel the burn sensation dimishing.

I don't understand people complaining about alcohol based A/S sting. Sting is irrelevant as long as the product delivers what it promises and gets rid of the nasty razor burn I get all the time no matter what I do.

A nice shot of Grey Goose Vodka or Hennessy VSOP Cognac sure burns and stings on its way down but it feels great a few minutes later and you will never hear me complaining.

My skin is on the oily side and milk and aloe based A/S that have no alcohol it it exacerbate my razor burn. I use Tend Skin to combat the razor burn - just remember that it is not an A/S so you should use a Q-Tip to apply it locally to specific areas. It has a bad sting though.

finegelernt said:
I don't understand people complaining about alcohol based A/S sting. Sting is irrelevant as long as the product delivers what it promises and gets rid of the nasty razor burn I get all the time no matter what I do.

A nice shot of Grey Goose Vodka or Hennessy VSOP Cognac sure burns and stings on its way down but it feels great a few minutes later and you will never hear me complaining.

My skin is on the oily side and milk and aloe based A/S that have no alcohol it it exacerbate my razor burn. I use Tend Skin to combat the razor burn - just remember that it is not an A/S so you should use a Q-Tip to apply it locally to specific areas. It has a bad sting though.

Hey, you might be on to something here. Maybe we need an ethanol-based A/S - you can do a shot first, and then get some nice bracing effect on your face. :wink2:

My main problem that I worry about is the redness that been blotching up my checks, upper lip and horribly disfiguring my neck, especially my neck. The stinging, yeah it's not exactly fun, but you know, who cares? It goes away, doesn't it? My feelings are really the same on alcohol bases A/S's, it stings for like 10 seconds but if it will take the redness out, you can light my face on fire. :biggrin: But lately, just trying to get my neck reasonably close turns it beet red and scarred looking all day long. (No cuts, mind you, no pain either, just heavy irritation and bright red streaks all over) I don't know what to do! :mad: (I also have been attacking from different angles and even cut down my total number of passes on the neck region [from 4 --> 2] with No against the grain pass and still no results :frown: ) So this why while I'm still honing my technique I'm praying to find a product to reduce this damn redneck.

Next Up: I think I'm going to try Bleach, I've got some Clorox downstairs it's always been good at that sort of thing.

TimmyBoston said:
My main problem that I worry about is the redness that been blotching up my checks, upper lip and horribly disfiguring my neck, especially my neck. The stinging, yeah it's not exactly fun, but you know, who cares? It goes away, doesn't it? My feelings are really the same on alcohol bases A/S's, it stings for like 10 seconds but if it will take the redness out, you can light my face on fire. :biggrin: But lately, just trying to get my neck reasonably close turns it beet red and scarred looking all day long. (No cuts, mind you, no pain either, just heavy irritation and bright red streaks all over) I don't know what to do! :mad: (I also have been attacking from different angles and even cut down my total number of passes on the neck region [from 4 --> 2] with No against the grain pass and still no results :frown: ) So this why while I'm still honing my technique I'm praying to find a product to reduce this damn redneck.

Next Up: I think I'm going to try Bleach, I've got some Clorox downstairs it's always been good at that sort of thing.

Its all good man, just take a couple days break, practice your lather if you get the urge....but give your face a rest.

TimmyBoston said:

I had a similar issue with my neck and chin. The only thing that seemed to help was applying some proraso pre/post every few hours after I shaved, and before I went to bed. It makes you smell like you've just been assaulted by a peppermint pattie, but the menthol/eucalyptus seems to do wonders for irritation (for me at least).

hello tim,

i like the following two aftershaves:

alcohol splash - ice blue aqua velva
alcohol-free balm - trumper skin food

both contain menthol and glycerin.

hope this helps.

thanks,
mike

dgauvreau said:
It's funny you say that because I've used the Razor Burn Repair (it's got a funky blue color to it - not sure if it's the same thing), and I swear each time it stings me so much I'd be willing to admit to crimes I didn't commit. But others complain about alchohol-based products stinging, and they don't bother me too much. In fairness, after each Anthony-induced tourettes profanity episode, my face actually feels pretty good for the rest of the day. I guess if it's not killing me, it's probably making me stronger.

Danny,

It is interesting how everyone's skin reacts so differently. I tried a sample of AOS unscented aftershave balm and could have sworn that I had literally applied battery acid to my face. I held out for a few minutes, but broke down and crawled back to the sink to wash it off. My skin had a very red, angry coloration.

Why I can use the AL a/s Burn Relief without issue is a mystery to me. I truly do love the scent. I consider that it's a blend of Nancy Boy a/s gel and Trumper's Rose Skin Food. It quickly fades so there is no conflict with the cologne selection of the day.

Another good selection for addressing burning associated with razor burn is

Kanwa Feather
Jason's 6-1 Aftershave

Both of these are inexpensive. They contain aloe, but don't end up sticky like pure aloe does.

Also, if you're getting redness without cuts and burns... you might just be reacting to something in the cream. I would recommend one or two days of rest for healing and then picking up the routine again with a different cream. I noticed that this happened to me when I shaved with QED Frankenscense & Myyrh. I adore the scent and the shave was great, but my face was reacting to one of the essential oils in the mix. I have other QED soaps and don't experience this kind of reaction, so I know that it was this specific blend that was affecting me.

Scotto's shaving cream sampler pack is a great way to get a few of them to try if you're not sure what you are reacting to.

-joedy

Joedy said:
Danny,

It is interesting how everyone's skin reacts so differently. I tried a sample of AOS unscented aftershave balm and could have sworn that I had literally applied battery acid to my face. I held out for a few minutes, but broke down and crawled back to the sink to wash it off. My skin had a very red, angry coloration.

Why I can use the AL a/s Burn Relief without issue is a mystery to me. I truly do love the scent. I consider that it's a blend of Nancy Boy a/s gel and Trumper's Rose Skin Food. It quickly fades so there is no conflict with the cologne selection of the day.

Another good selection for addressing burning associated with razor burn is

Kanwa Feather
Jason's 6-1 Aftershave

Both of these are inexpensive. They contain aloe, but don't end up sticky like pure aloe does.

Also, if you're getting redness without cuts and burns... you might just be reacting to something in the cream. I would recommend one or two days of rest for healing and then picking up the routine again with a different cream. I noticed that this happened to me when I shaved with QED Frankenscense & Myyrh. I adore the scent and the shave was great, but my face was reacting to one of the essential oils in the mix. I have other QED soaps and don't experience this kind of reaction, so I know that it was this specific blend that was affecting me.

Scotto's shaving cream sampler pack is a great way to get a few of them to try if you're not sure what you are reacting to.

-joedy

Joedy,
Yeah, that's a great point - I guess it never even occurred to me that I might be having some kind of reaction to AL Burn Relief. I like the smell of it too, but there must be something in there (marshmallow? St. Johns Wort? Eye of Newt? - okay, I made that one up) that my skin doesn't agree with. I pm'd Scotto earlier in the week, and he responded with a few suggestions for A/S to include in my sampler. I'm actually really looking forward to getting the A/S sampler - I've already got the blade sampler from letterk and that's worked out great (found that the Derby's do a great job of reducing irritation.) I also ordered some of Mama Bear's soaps. I guess I've nearly completed the Badger and Blade trifecta.

dgauvreau said:
J...I guess I've nearly completed the Badger and Blade trifecta.

Close, Danny, but no cookie!

You'll have to complete the circuit with copious amounts of cologne samples. When you can tell the difference between L'Occitane, Hermes, Amouge, Penhaligon's, Czech & Speake, Frederic Malle by scent alone.... you'll be close to feeling like you can at last make up your mind as to which ones go best with any particular shaving cream and aftershave followup.

Being a ShaveGeek is hard work and requires a lot of patient studies!

:001_tongu

You're correct about the Derby's. They seem to have a high percentage of users who feel that they are less agressive (read "more forgiving") than Feathers. I can only use Feathers every other day - they're too aggressive for daily use for me unless I use a Fat Boy razor. I like my Slant bar too much to go without it, though.

-joedy

Tim,

Just me, but honestly, I REALLY think you need to ease back a lot on the neck. If you are getting red streaks that last all day, something is very wrong, and aftershave alone ain't gonna fix it. It might be could to try a different cream/soap, or different blades.

Otherwise, though, I have recently been converted to the Alchy camp. Although my only real experience here is Aqua Velva. I find that if my face is not feeling great after a shave, just applying balm is painless, and helps a little, but well, the irritation still drags along for a while. On the other hand, a splash of Aqua Velva burns like heck. :mad5: But it is kind of a good kind of burn. And after a few seconds it goes to a very pleasing chill. By the time this wears off, the irritation is pretty much all gone. An hour later I feel much better than an hour after if I used a balm on a bad shave. The combination is probably the best, though, for me. I have lately had great success by first applying the Aqua Velva. Then after 15m to 1 hour applying Feather Kawna balm.

(Side note - Scotto, you need to get this for the sampler. The best balm for me that I have tried so far. Absorbs quickly. Pleasing mild if slightly medicinal herbal aroma that dissappears very very fast. Soothing. Decent but not super high moisture. Great for the oily skinned. Decent price.).

-Mo

FWIW - Floid aftershaves have been doing a wonderful job of getting rid of any irritations, it clears the skin within minutes. The Floids have made their way into my regular rotation. I have to thank my good friend Tom (TomH) for introducing these to me.

moses said:
Tim,

Just me, but honestly, I REALLY think you need to ease back a lot on the neck. If you are getting red streaks that last all day, something is very wrong, and aftershave alone ain't gonna fix it. It might be could to try a different cream/soap, or different blades.

Otherwise, though, I have recently been converted to the Alchy camp. Although my only real experience here is Aqua Velva. I find that if my face is not feeling great after a shave, just applying balm is painless, and helps a little, but well, the irritation still drags along for a while. On the other hand, a splash of Aqua Velva burns like heck. :mad5: But it is kind of a good kind of burn. And after a few seconds it goes to a very pleasing chill. By the time this wears off, the irritation is pretty much all gone. An hour later I feel much better than an hour after if I used a balm on a bad shave. The combination is probably the best, though, for me. I have lately had great success by first applying the Aqua Velva. Then after 15m to 1 hour applying Feather Kawna balm.

(Side note - Scotto, you need to get this for the sampler. The best balm for me that I have tried so far. Absorbs quickly. Pleasing mild if slightly medicinal herbal aroma that dissappears very very fast. Soothing. Decent but not super high moisture. Great for the oily skinned. Decent price.).

-Mo
It is on the list. I don't normally order from Classic Shaving, so it might be a while.

I reach for Natureade Aloe 80. Just an aloe vera gel.

Randy

Funny thing is I keep that in my arsenal too and use it as a razor burn treatment and as a hair gel. Got the idea from my barber who was putting it on my hair in the shop. After about two years I asked what kind of hair gel he uses on his customers and told me it ws aloe vera gel. He said it gave the correct amount of hold, was better for the hair, and was much cheaper.

Well since the thread is ressurected (and there are examples of much earlier threads getting ressurected) I'll opine with some wisdon that is hinted at in earlier responses:

* If you are shaving properly you shouldn't get any razor burn. Alcohol based splashes shouldn't sting and you shouldn't need any products that repair your skin.

* If you have razor burn look at the basics like:
** Proper pre-shave prep - make sure your beard is thoroughly soaked in warm water
** Too much blade pressure
** Wrong blade angle
** Shaving against the grain - perhaps your skin simply can't handle that
** Try using a differnt blade (for DE users)
** Might be reaction to a shaving propduct

My favorite A/S are alcohol based with glycerin. Stings (in a good way), then leaves the skin feeling moisturized. Aqua Velva is a go-to as well as the Boosters with Glycerin.

I've got a wonderful little concoction that does wonders. It starts with a half-and-half mixture of 100% aloe vera gel and witch hazel. Then add a tablespoon or two of vegetable glycerin. It works great for (my) razorburn, small nicks, and is super-cooling. I added a drop of lime essential oil and use it as an aftershave and summer moisturizer.

It's funny you say that because I've used the Razor Burn Repair (it's got a funky blue color to it - not sure if it's the same thing), and I swear each time it stings me so much I'd be willing to admit to crimes I didn't commit. But others complain about alchohol-based products stinging, and they don't bother me too much. In fairness, after each Anthony-induced tourettes profanity episode, my face actually feels pretty good for the rest of the day. I guess if it's not killing me, it's probably making me stronger.
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Like was mentioned before, YMMV with what works best. I am partial to witch hazel followed by Nivea Sensitive ASB. I really like the mixture that dgauvreau mentioned below, since witch hazel, aloe, and glycerin work really well on my skin.

I've got a wonderful little concoction that does wonders. It starts with a half-and-half mixture of 100% aloe vera gel and witch hazel. Then add a tablespoon or two of vegetable glycerin. It works great for (my) razorburn, small nicks, and is super-cooling. I added a drop of lime essential oil and use it as an aftershave and summer moisturizer.

Well since the thread is ressurected (and there are examples of much earlier threads getting ressurected) I'll opine with some wisdon that is hinted at in earlier responses:

* If you are shaving properly you shouldn't get any razor burn. Alcohol based splashes shouldn't sting and you shouldn't need any products that repair your skin.

* If you have razor burn look at the basics like:
** Proper pre-shave prep - make sure your beard is thoroughly soaked in warm water
** Too much blade pressure
** Wrong blade angle
** Shaving against the grain - perhaps your skin simply can't handle that
** Try using a differnt blade (for DE users)
** Might be reaction to a shaving propduct

I can agree with Scoopster, but since I am new to this DE shaving thing I figured that a bit of razor burn is par for the coarse. I know my technique is not at 100% but trying to get it there every shave. I take my time and focus.

Therfore, some after shave routines seem helpful to me anyway to help rid of the burn.

Top Bottom