What's new

Noxzema makes my face go numb.

This happen to anyone else?

I liberaly apply the cream (like the label says) after i shave, let it sit while i rinse my brush/bowl out, then rinse it off with cold water.

for the next 5-10 minutes my face was numb.

There was no cooling effect, but it was the kind of numbness you feel when your skin is really cold.

I've been using Proraso pre/post as an aftershave like this for a year now, and i've never had an effect like this with the Proraso.

Are you talking about regular Noxzema Cleansing Cream?
I don't think you're supposed to use that as an after-shave.
You could use it as a pre-shave, it helps to soften the beard. But yeah, it's not an after-shave, is a cleanser.

Well, i dont see why it CANT be used as an aftershave....

It has almost the same ingredients as Proraso pre/post...

I think i'll be using it in the summer as an aftershave quite often.

I have Noxzema as well. I've never tried to shave with it, but I have used it as an aftershave. It worked okay I suppose, but I definitely didn't notice any numbness.

This happen to anyone else?

I liberaly apply the cream (like the label says) after i shave, let it sit while i rinse my brush/bowl out, then rinse it off with cold water.

for the next 5-10 minutes my face was numb.

There was no cooling effect, but it was the kind of numbness you feel when your skin is really cold.

I've been using Proraso pre/post as an aftershave like this for a year now, and i've never had an effect like this with the Proraso.

Maybe it has more menthol..

Well, i dont see why it CANT be used as an aftershave....

It has almost the same ingredients as Proraso pre/post...

I think i'll be using it in the summer as an aftershave quite often.

Alot of the same, but not totally the same, and not necesarrily in the same amounts...

Honestly though, I can't see how either can be doing much good as an aftershave if you are washing it off after 5 minutes. The main job of most balms, I think, is to act as a moisturizor and that requires leaving it on to seal the moisture into the skin... :smile:

I like to use Noxema as cleanser before I go to bed, particularly in the summer. Here is Houston, it feels great.

An alternative is an aftershave balm Lucky Tiger makes. It has a similar scent to Noxema, although I can't see why Noxema's ingredients would cause any concern.

What i've been doing lately is applying aftershave of some kind after i rinse off the Noxzema.

It's a matter of debate, but I'm of the camp that thinks that if you want to use both splash and balm (and I do) the best way is to apply the splash first, let it dry, and then apply balm. To me that makes the most sense, because most splashes primarily disinfect the skin with alcohol, and the balms moisturize. But there are plenty who do it the other way...

I was just comparing the Pre/Post to some Noxema, and the main difference that stood out especiallly with regards for use as an aftershave balm, is that the Proraso has glycerin as the fourth ingredient.

I imagine the glyerine is the main ingredient making the proraso effective as a balm, therefore I assume the noxema isn't doing anything for you post shave other than cleaning your face, which wouldn't require leaving on for 5 minutes.

I know some people like to cleanse their face after shaving, so if you like the noxema sensation there is no reason not to continue cleansing with it after your shaves, just as long as you don't expect it to lend healing properties.

If you are using an aftershave which has glycerin, like Aqua Velva, after wahsing you should be in good shape.

Top Bottom