What's new

Got any "off the cuff" advice for a noob?

As a current (and sick of BTW) user of the marketing hyped and no performance multi-blade razors, I'm just a few days into the old (but new to me) world of DE single blade shaving. I recently ordered some used razors from the classified section of one of the other shaving web sites (I couldn't even tell you what they are other than one's an F1, one's a Z2, and the other's a Z4) and a bunch of blade samplers. I've already got a cheapy brush (which I'm looking to replace with a better one soon) and some C&E shaving soap. I should be receiving my razors and blades any day now and I can't wait for my first shave. Is there any advice you experts can pass along before I get started? It would be nice if I can avoid any trips to the ER because I did something stupid. Thanks in advance.

Also, is there a trick to finding the correct blade angle, or is it just something you learn over time and practice?

If you're having a hard time with ANYTHING related to traditional shaving, chances are, You're using too much or not enough water.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Practice
Practice
Practice

And definitely read the stuff in Jim's link above.

Is there any advice you experts can pass along before I get started?

If you have been reading these forums you may have come across this advice already, but I would strongly urge you to search for Mantic's videos and watch them repeatedly before starting in! To say they are most helpful is an understatement, IMHO.

I'll add another plug for mantic's videos. They're really helpful!

x2. Don't get me wrong reading about it teaches you a lot, but watching it just gives you the visual you need when it comes time for the blade to hit the skin.

I am a complete noob but will say what helped me the most was proper prep. Seems like once I got the basic principles of the prep correct the rest of the process seemed to go much smoother even though I know I am still doing many things wrong.

Shaving is an art. It wont come at once but once you've mastered it, the skillful use of a razor is something you will have all your life. Take it easy, take your time, and be gentle. Enjoy the journey.

Be patient. Don't forget to breathe during your first shave. You'll find your hand to be a tad less shaky. Don't expect/demand BBS for the time being and if you never reach it, don't worry as long as you are enjoying the process and getting irritation free shaves.

BBS shaves is what I'm striving for as I can't quite get them with the multi-blade catridges, but I'm patient enough to know I'm not gonna get them right away. It is what I'm striving for though.

"No pressure" means NO PRESSURE!

This too is my one piece of advice. The slightest amount of pressure can have a negative impact on your shave. This can lead to blaming soaps/creams/blades when in fact the technique is what needs changing.

This too is my one piece of advice. The slightest amount of pressure can have a negative impact on your shave. This can lead to blaming soaps/creams/blades when in fact the technique is what needs changing.

I heartly agree. that and be patient. and watch mantic's videos. and don't iron your clothes while you are wearing them.

Top Bottom