What's new

It could have been horrible

So, tonight, I figure I would indulge myself and reach for my favorite bottle of Laphroaig. As I imagine the sweet smokey goodness emanating from my Glen Cairn whisky glass while slowly removing the cork, I neglect the alarm bells going off in my head. Something wasn't right, and by the time I realized it, 'twas too late. The cork stopper had snapped, and half was in the bottle, half in my hand.

I tried removing it with a corkscrew, but to no avail. All that did was drop pieces of cork into the golden elixir.

Distraught, I pondered the next step. It's always good to have a funnel, strainer, and EMPTY Scotch Whisky bottle handy. So now, much to the chagrin of Jim McEwan and his associates, a bottle of Bruichladdich 10 holds what was left of my Laphroaig.

Tragedy averted.

Moral - Always keep an empty bottle. You never know when you will need it.:biggrin:

Whew! You had me concerned there for a moment! I need to pick up another bottle of peaty goodness soon!

So, tonight, I figure I would indulge myself and reach for my favorite bottle of Laphroaig. As I imagine the sweet smokey goodness emanating from my Glen Cairn whisky glass while slowly removing the cork, I neglect the alarm bells going off in my head. Something wasn't right, and by the time I realized it, 'twas too late. The cork stopper had snapped, and half was in the bottle, half in my hand.

I tried removing it with a corkscrew, but to no avail. All that did was drop pieces of cork into the golden elixir.

Distraught, I pondered the next step. It's always good to have a funnel, strainer, and EMPTY Scotch Whisky bottle handy. So now, much to the chagrin of Jim McEwan and his associates, a bottle of Bruichladdich 10 holds what was left of my Laphroaig.

Tragedy averted.

Moral - Always keep an empty bottle. You never know when you will need it.:biggrin:

Maybe you need to keep an empty bottle of Lahproaig on hand, plus some corks to suit. Glad you kept your cool and didn't lose your scotch.:wink:

I see you weren't following correct "wild west prospector red-eye hooch cork removal" methods, i.e. biting the cork between your teeth and pulling the bottle away.

I always keep a stash of backup corks and have for years.

I did have a stash, but then decided I didn't really need them. Big Mistake!

Maybe you need to keep an empty bottle of Lahproaig on hand, plus some corks to suit. Glad you kept your cool and didn't lose your scotch.:wink:

SOS Save Our Scotch was the prevailing thought.

I see you weren't following correct "wild west prospector red-eye hooch cork removal" methods, i.e. biting the cork between your teeth and pulling the bottle away.

This cork has a plastic cap.

Whew! You had me concerned there for a moment! I need to pick up another bottle of peaty goodness soon!

Or two, in case the cork breaks in one, you have a spare. :biggrin:

Glad to hear everything worked out for the best. I saw a nice tip for removing bits of cork from a glass of wine without sticking grubby fingers in on TV a while back. Take a drinking straw and stick it in a fraction of an inch, then stick your finger on the other side. Dump the drop of wine and cork in the sink or other such vessel. Repeat until cork is gone. I wouldn't imagine that would work if you had much cork in the bottle, and certainly wouldn't work if the level was much below the neck, but it might be an option to save relatively new bottles without going through the process of decanting.

Top Bottom