What's new

1st DE shave today!

Moments ago, my Merkur Progress arrived from Vintage Blades, via UPS. I had the day off of school, working on final papers, and pacing the hallway like an expectant father. I ordered the Progress, 10 Merkur blades, and 10 Feathers. After lurking and researching, I joined this board and felt I was ready/knew what to expect from a decent DE shave.

Boy was I wrong! Now granted, I have a cheapo boar brush, and Conk almond soap. And I had been "practicing" with my cartridge shaver, and spending time watching the Mantic videos. I had no idea shaving could be like this.

I loaded up with a Merkur (a little scared of the Feathers right now). I kept the Progress on 1 and did two WTG passes. Not in a hurry. Didn't want BBS because A) I don't have the technique for it yet and B) more stubble today equals even more stubble tomorrow so I get to practice my technique again! :thumbup:

I did one XTG on 2, and got a weeper. No biggie. Got done shaving, cold water splash, and realized I didn't have aftershave or lotion. No biggie. I have a female roommate and borrowed some lotion.

All in all, I am very pleased with the results. I am hooked. I dig the sounds the razor makes, the prep process and all. This is fun. Thanks for having me here, and thanks Mantic for the videos!

Now I'm off to buy some lotion!

Congratulations. I know exactly how you feel.

I've only been DE shaving for about two months now and let me tell you that, no matter how good you thought your shave was today, it will be SOOO much better once you have refined your technique.

Also, you should be warned... It's very easy to get into getting new brushes, blades, soaps, creams, mugs (or scuttles), etc. I have, sadly, succumbed to this affliction. Already this month (and it's only December 1st), I have bought a C&E Best Badger Brush (which I HIGHLY reccomend), two new types of blades, two new bottles of A/S, new shaving cream, new shaving soap... It can really become an obsession in a hurry! :blushing:

Congrats on going DE. The only advice I will give is to not get too ambitious about getting that BBS. My first few shaves were great and then I got into a rut because I kept going for BBS without having my technique down. Now I have relaxed about it and am getting better with each shave. Thankfully I have no problem with the ADs. I am perfectly content with 1 razor, 1 brush and couple of decent creams and lotions.

proxy.php

Well done! Your off to a good start. Get yourself some Aqua Velva aftershave. Inexpensive, widely available, and its been sold since 1929. Its good and has been tested by time.

Thanks for the kind words! I really am looking forward to shaving tomorrow :D I haven't felt this way since I first started shaving. I'm looking forward to growing into this hobby. Hopefully with Christmas around the corner, I may be able to get a few shave goodies out of the girlfriend.

Top Bottom