What's new

Best Multi-Tool

I am looking for a new multi-tool and would appreciate some recommendations. I want a full size tool not a micro version. Any input on quality, construction, function , and ease of use will be greatly appreciated. Leatherman, Gerber, and SOG seem to be good. Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

Rick

P.S. No comments on the full size tool please.:biggrin:

Personally I love my leatherman wave, it is a few years old and came with a nice belt looped holster. The blades hold an edge and sharpen easily.
They have introduced a few new models the skeletool looks minimalistic yet functional.

I also have a little bit older wave that I love. If I had to get another it would be a leatherman I think.

Fuzzy

Leatherman +1

I've had my Leatherman for ten years or more.
It may not be as fancy or cool-looking as some of the newer brands and designs, but it's great quality and it just works.

Leatherman products are great and the most popular one is the wave. I have treid the cheaper MTs and they just don't stand up. I have one of the original LMs (I think the original version) and I still use it all of the time.

+1 for Leatherman wave. I have been using that for....10 years or close and for me the best and most useful is the pliers. The narrow end pliers are so multifunctionally. The blades are not so fancy for me because I have many better ones for each use. Don't get me wrong I do use blades sometimes and they're ok. Sciccors are also amazingly good. They cut much better than most "true" scissors. :w00t:
The leather case is good quality. I don't carry it in my jeans pockets, too big for that and that's what the belt carry is for. In my carco pants (5.11) I carry it in narrow thigh pocket where it fits well.

I've used both a Gerber and a Leatherman over the years. I like the way the Leatherman designed their pliers. The Gerber, at least the original which is what I have, have a poorly designed pliers that uses a c-clip. Over time the clip fails and the pliers become sloppy.

On the other hand I like the way that Gerber designed their tool better. But keep in mind my tools are over 15 years old so the newer designs may have eliminated the faults I have with them.

I've carried a Gerber on my belt since 1999. I have the Diesel model now. I had to replace one Gerber since the screwdriver bits snapped off on my first one. I would give the Gerber an "Okay" rating; it has a fast, one handed opening design (yes, it has come in handy!), and the tool selection is pretty good. I wouldn't be too far off the mark if I said I use it every day.

I will be replacing my Gerber with the Leatherman Wave. I just think it's a better made tool, with a tighter, firmer build. A Gerber has a rattly, loose feel to it, and when you hold both a Gerber and Leatherman in your hands, you like the Leatherman more.

Can't help you with the SOG line, I've never used or held one.

Don

Yeah most people say the leatherman wave. I was going to buy one a year ago myself based on it's favourable reviews and feedback.
But I bought a dremel power tool for grinding and cutting that came with it's own brand MT that's pretty good so never needed to buy a LM.

Victorinox Swiss Tool

proxy.php

This one has served me well for about 6 years now....

The Wave is a really good tool. Simple and well designed.

The Victorinox Swiss Tool is well made, but it weighs as much as a brick. I'd be interested in handling the Spirit, it looks like an attempt to compete with the Wave...

I've not been impressed with the Gerbers.

Another vote for the Leatherman Wave. A very trusty companion on my backpacking trips -- and worth the weight.

I really find no magic in the Leatherman Skeletool. I'd have to carry a pair of scissors separate from the tool, and it lacks several tools I find useful.

I've been rolling with the same Gerber for 8 years now, and while I know I don't ab/use it like some of the guys here would, it has never failed me. The one-handed open is great, everything's easy to get to, and the locking tools are really reliable.

Top Bottom