What's new

S/E guys are open comb D/E guys?

Just a quick thought.

As some may know I am a confirmed S/E guy. My current favorite is a 1908 Gem. I also have a nice 1927-28 Gillette New Standard that I love to shave with. I have heard a few other S/E guys say that they like the open comb D/E's. Anyone else here like S/E's but also get into the open combs?

Fuzzy

fer sure. Got a pic of UR fav? I am becoming a convert to SE types. I will never give up DE totally, I have too many Feather blades. :001_smile I only have 4 SE razors in house and 1 on the way from the bay and on the BST forum but am on the lookout for more.

with the exception of my grandfathers SS and my birth year razor, i shave with nothing but open combs, all gillette from 1920 and earlier.

I just got corrected... My Gem is a 1910 I have a superior that is a 1908. The 1910 Gem is by far my favorite of all times.

Fuzzy

I recently acquired a Gem Micromatic and some vintage open comb brass Gillettes, but I haven't used them yet. But I will, in time, I will!:smile:

I recently acquired a Gem Micromatic and some vintage open comb brass Gillettes, but I haven't used them yet. But I will, in time, I will!:smile:

The micromatic is ok. But do not judge gems until you try a 1912 or older. Well worth the time to try out.

Fuzzy

I'd suggest you don't judge single edge razors by the Micromatic. Some folks like them, but I feel you'll likely get a better shave with a 1912 or older Gem.

You will probably also like your open comb Gillettes if you tend toward a more aggressive shaver, since many of these older types tend to be on the aggressive side. I don't think that is directly related to the open comb design, I think it is more just what Gillette seemed to favor at the time. Also, if any of them are of the Old Type, they were originally designed for a somewhat thicker blade which tends to make them more aggressive with today's blades.

Enjoy your experimenting with your "new" razors but don't forget to sometime try that older Gem or Ever-Ready of the 1912 design. :wink:

Regards,
Tom

I ave a Gem junior that I would loan out to someone if they wanted to try something other then a micromatic. It is not a collectors peice,, but a solid shaver.

Fuzzy

Here's a nice one I found yesterday. The pic isn't that great, but the gold is almost perfect. There is one tiny spot on the top of the cover, but that's it.

I shaved with it this morning. Wow. It wasn't completely blood free, but what a razor. It is absolutely completely unforgiving, and seriously aggresive. Handled properly, it is an awesome beard weapon.

My only other SE shave so far has been with a short bakelite handled Schick Injector, (1930's or early 40's I think). It was a great too, but not like this.

View attachment 35328

I'm not a total SE convert yet, but this one is definitely going in my rotation.

Very nice looking razor, Ray. The handle is beautiful. Once you get the angle right, your shaves should be smooth and blood-free.

Just finished using mine, it is now my go to razor. I have not used another in over a month, not even the other Gems or Ever Readys. Keep after it, and you will be rewarded with great shaves. :wink:

You may wish to look into whether this is actually gold. I have an Ever Ready model exactly like yours and it's pure brass, no gold plating. Because it's brass, it can be shone up to an almost mirror finish without worries. And so, if yours is brass, the tiny spot on the cover will polish right out.

Here's a nice one I found yesterday. The pic isn't that great, but the gold is almost perfect. There is one tiny spot on the top of the cover, but that's it.

I shaved with it this morning. Wow. It wasn't completely blood free, but what a razor. It is absolutely completely unforgiving, and seriously aggresive. Handled properly, it is an awesome beard weapon.

My only other SE shave so far has been with a short bakelite handled Schick Injector, (1930's or early 40's I think). It was a great too, but not like this.

View attachment 35328

I'm not a total SE convert yet, but this one is definitely going in my rotation.

I'd suggest you don't judge single edge razors by the Micromatic. Some folks like them, but I feel you'll likely get a better shave with a 1912 or older Gem.

You will probably also like your open comb Gillettes if you tend toward a more aggressive shaver, since many of these older types tend to be on the aggressive side. I don't think that is directly related to the open comb design, I think it is more just what Gillette seemed to favor at the time. Also, if any of them are of the Old Type, they were originally designed for a somewhat thicker blade which tends to make them more aggressive with today's blades.

Enjoy your experimenting with your "new" razors but don't forget to sometime try that older Gem or Ever-Ready of the 1912 design. :wink:

Regards,
Tom

Thanks for the suggestion. God willing I will try the older design if I can find one.:001_smile

Top Bottom