What's new

Shaving and gentleman's store

Would you shop at a shaving and gentleman's store in the GTA?

• Yes, that would be great.

• No, I will just buy the stuff online.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am thinking about opening a shaving and gentleman's store somewhere in the Toronto area (Greater Toronto Area). Before I do this I am interested in hearing from what you would like in that kind of store. I want to hear from all of you! And of course, guys from Toronto, I especially would like to hear from you. So, don't be shy, gentleman. I want this store to cater to your needs.

If you are from the Greater Toronto Area please do vote in this poll. If you are not from the GTA, please don't vote in this poll. However, even if you are not from Toronto, I would still like to hear from you regarding what you would like in a shaving and gentleman's store. The store would sell everything shaving and shaving related (straights, DEs, brushes, soaps, creams, etc., etc.) and maybe some other gentlemanly items and things related to manly pursuits.

Sorry. I voted before I read all the posts. But if I ever were in that area or even lived there, then yes, I would shop at the gentlemen's shaving store. I'm tempted to order online soon enough from somebody depending on their products of course because the unrelenting itch of SCAD is making it's way to my hands and wallet. Good luck on the store.

What would you like to see in the store? What would you like to be able to purchase? What services would you like offered to you?

If I was local I would buy. I do frequent local shops whenever I can. If you price products reasonably I'm sure you'll develop a following quickly. A large assortment is key.

Best of luck

What would you like to see in the store? What would you like to be able to purchase? What services would you like offered to you?

Products that are a bit more difficult to find in Canada. Czech & Speake, Castle Forbes, .......etc. The price point is the most difficult thing since buying online from the US is rather easy. As long as the prices are competitive you have my buisness, customs can be a real pain in the ***.

I voted "Yes" but realize I'm in Texas. Ain't going that far, don't care how great your prices and products are. :001_rolle But seriously, I would much prefer buying from a store than online, and if I lived anywhere near you, that's how I'd shop - in a store.

I'd love to be able to shop at an actual B & M store. I just got into wetshaving recently and have been buying online, since any stores that carry quality shaving supplies appear to have a pretty high mark-up.

In terms of what I'd like to see there -- the full range of shaving stuff, from razors to blades, to creams and aftershave products, to brushes and scuttles.

I hope you decide to make a go of it!

An example of over-priced shaving goods in the few stores that carry them -- the C&E store at the Eaton Centre sells its best badger brush for $89!! The same brush is available online for around $40 CDN. I really hope you open a store!

I chose "yes, that would be great." But I haven't a clue as to what a "GTA" is. :frown:

Oh, "Greater Toronto Area." Well, I live in the Twin Cites but currently reside for a few more months in Arizona, so I'd have to say I'd buy online. But I would check out your store if I was ever in the Toronto area.

I am thinking about opening a shaving and gentleman's store somewhere in the Toronto area (Greater Toronto Area). Before I do this I am interested in hearing from what you would like in that kind of store. I want to hear from all of you! And of course, guys from Toronto, I especially would like to hear from you. So, don't be shy, gentleman. I want this store to cater to your needs.

What I would like to see is something different that you can't get at CVS, Rite Aid, Walgreens, Wal-mart etc. Staples that guys here talk about. Not stuff that is super expensive.

Some ideas:
Kiss My Face
Thayers
Col. Conk's soaps
Musgo
Tabac
Proraso
Pinaud & Lustray aftershaves
Masters aftershaves

Just, stuff that you don't normally see. I'd love a store like that. You'd probably need to branch out though.. besides razors you might want to go into some other grooming supplies, scissors, or even knives. Maybe some lather goods. Wallets, etc. I dunno. I'd like a store like that.

-Mason

If I lived in or visited the GTA I would definitely visit your store. As a new wet shaver it is difficult to try and determine what products you would like to try. Having a physical location to smell samples, hold products, and see the different sizes would be great! For example, having never owned or seen a badger brush it was hard for me to determine what size would be best for me. I ended up going to a C&E store and buying the BBB based upon the recommendations here. For the convenience and service of a B&M store I would be willing to pay a small premium.

The previous posts have also identified two key elements I believe the store must remember: selection and price. As far as the selection goes, I would probably supply all items needed for the wet shaver (one stop shop). Also, shoppers know that B&M prices will be higher than online, but they still want that price to be reasonable. You don’t want the price to be too high that the shopper would rather leave and purchase online.

You’re welcome to bounce any other ideas off of me. I always enjoy analyzing business models.

This post has been around a while so I thought I would add a couple cents to the conversation.
I live near several stores that carry shave gear, Pastures and Cambridge to name two. If all they sold was shave gear they would be out of business. One owner told me they only do a very small percentage of their sales on shaving related items. They are both full service drug stores. The reality is, that after the first big expenditure, a guy is only going to spend a few bucks at a time to replace soaps, creams and aftershaves.Your competition is the Internet.
Good luck with your endeavor.

I'd say that if the store's prices are not comparable to online prices then you wouldn't get much business from customers that are online.

Top Bottom