What's new

How do they harvest badger bristles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
From: http://www.menessentials.com/oxid.php/sid/x/shp/oxbaseshop/cl/info/tpl/shave_brush.tpl

Most commercial badger hair comes from remote areas of China where badger populations are so vast that they endanger crops and livestock. The Chinese government controls badger culling by licensing tiny village cooperatives to conduct the hunts and process the hair. The sale of badger hair provides co-op members with an additional source of income to augment their meager earnings from the land.​

Hope this helps out.

From: http://www.menessentials.com/oxid.php/sid/x/shp/oxbaseshop/cl/info/tpl/shave_brush.tpl

Most commercial badger hair comes from remote areas of China where badger populations are so vast that they endanger crops and livestock. The Chinese government controls badger culling by licensing tiny village cooperatives to conduct the hunts and process the hair. The sale of badger hair provides co-op members with an additional source of income to augment their meager earnings from the land.​

Hope this helps out.

Yeah....They procreate like MICE, but are bigger than a Norwegian Rat, so imagine the devastation...I bet you Aussies know what a Mouse Explosion is like...so there is no fear of extinction for these guys.

Yeah....They procreate like MICE, but are bigger than a Norwegian Rat, so imagine the devastation...I bet you Aussies know what a Mouse Explosion is like...so there is no fear of extinction for these guys.

I think they call 'em Kangaroos down there. :001_huh:

lol I never said there were farms full of hand-reared ratels being shaved, but the Chinese Badger is not the same as a Ratel, or any badger most of us are familiar with, for that matter...It is really the same as a ferret, and THEY love to be petted and cuddled, hence so many people keeping them as pets...They do bite like hell tho...Some People here in the States even keep the Chinese Badger as a pet...They are not Josie Wales idea of what a Badger is..."Here stick yer hand down there an git the can o money out!"...As the badger sharpens his teeth... The Outlaw Josie Wales is a Great Movie! :lol:
I'm sorry, when you were talking about the "honey badger" I thought you were aware that it is another name for the Ratel.

If you feel bad for the badgers, just remember, this is what they look like when they are happy:
proxy.php

Hope this helps out.

Not to pick any bones here, but just remember: What's the most overpopulated species in the world? Humans. I don't see anybody here advocating genocide.

By the way, I'm not necessarily denouncing killing overpopulated animals, just pointing out that rationally, it's not fair to consider other creatures expendable, while feeling like it is our god-given right to use up every last resource on the planet. Sometimes I think it's a good thing that scientists don't think we will ever get out of the solar system. In all honesty we're a species that reproduces exponentially and wreaks havoc to the populations and environments of everywhere that we go.

That was my rant for the day :biggrin:

J

Jarmo P

The badgers that our brushes are made from are quite symphatetic cute creatures. This video shows them:
http://www.mahalo.com/Badgers

They are not fierce african honey badgers or american carnivorous badgers. It always surprises me people posting that aggressive picture above as if they need to keep that false image in their mind to be able to accept the killing of them for brushes. To me it is quite acceptable to hunt badgers for our brushes, even though they are cute creatures.

They belong to the weasel family among with otters and many others.
In my country, Finland, they are called in an other name translated "woodpig". It comes from them being omnivorous and their diet being mostly worms that they dig out pig like.

They are peaceful creatures but shaving them without killing is surely impossible and also these animals don't survive farming. They need to live in the wild.

Jarmo

They have to have supplied for a continuous period of 5 years in the last 7 or the warrant lapses - this I know from former employment where the registered office moved and there was big hoohar about retaining the warrant (and lots of proofs of delivery required by Buck House before they'd allow it to be retained).

Schweppes Tonic Water - to go with the other holder... Tanqueray Gordon and Co

Yes, but it only covers supply to the household - that just means anyone in the family's employ, or any part of the family "business" (for want of a better word) who gets or uses that product means that the warrant sticks. It doesn't mean that the royal family themselves use or prefer that product over anything else, like it did 30 odd years ago. As an example, Heinz tomato ketchup has been supplied to the household for years, but none of the immediate royals actually use it according to those in the know. Apparently they tend to use the Royal Duchy ketchup which is, of course, Charlie's own brand.

Not to pick any bones here, but just remember: What's the most overpopulated species in the world? Humans. I don't see anybody here advocating genocide.

By the way, I'm not necessarily denouncing killing overpopulated animals, just pointing out that rationally, it's not fair to consider other creatures expendable, while feeling like it is our god-given right to use up every last resource on the planet. Sometimes I think it's a good thing that scientists don't think we will ever get out of the solar system. In all honesty we're a species that reproduces exponentially and wreaks havoc to the populations and environments of everywhere that we go.

That was my rant for the day :biggrin:
Wait a minute, we're messing up the planet? Do the politicians and the media know about this yet?

"also these animals don't survive farming. They need to live in the wild."

Jarmo

Wrong. They feed them Dog Food, and supplement with Meal Worms and wingless fruit flies. Being omnivorous they flourish in captivity. Maybe the woodpigs in Finland need the wild, but the Ferret Badgers of China do not.

J

Jarmo P

Our brushes are made from ferret badger hair?
I thought they were mainly made from meles meles, but I stand corrected if you know better.

Here the http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Neovison_vison
are farmed in captivity for their pelt mainly for furs to russian and asian people who favor to wear such things. Here it is quite unpopular to wear furs of any kind.

I have never heard meles meles being raised in captivity and doubt if that would be easy since they are burrowing animals.

Our brushes are made from ferret badger hair?
I thought they were mainly made from meles meles, but I stand corrected if you know better.

Here the http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Neovison_vison
are farmed in captivity for their pelt mainly for furs to russian and asian people who favor to wear such things. Here it is quite unpopular to wear furs of any kind.

I have never heard meles meles being raised in captivity and doubt if that would be easy since they are burrowing animals.

Well, It's nice that you used Wikipedia, but you chose the wrong badger. Meles Meles is the European Badger and is a native species to Europe, not China, thus NOT where most of the Badger Hair Bristles come from. Please check again, and do a little more homework in trying to disprove my theorem. Maybe if you actually used the words CHINESE FERRET BADGER in your search you would do much better.

Oh, and FYI, just because an animal is nocturnal and dwells in a crevice does not mean they cannot be hand reared. Just look at Rats....

Meles Meles is the European Badger and is a native species to Europe, not China
That is wrong, Meles Meles Leucurus lives in most parts of China.
European Badger is also called Eurasian Badger.FYI

That is wrong, Meles Meles Leucurus lives in most parts of China.
European Badger is also called Eurasian Badger.FYI

Yes, but it is not the badger that we use for badger brushes. That is Melogale moschata and not really a badger at all. Thanks for your input, but I really do know this for a fact. I lived in China for 8 years amongst fur farmers, and my father has a vested interest in the Chinese fur trade.

Ahhh...The Fins are ganging up on me...lol

Yes, but it is not the badger that we use for badger brushes. That is Melogale moschata and not really a badger at all. Thanks for your input, but I really do know this for a fact. I lived in China for 8 years amongst fur farmers, and my father has a vested interest in the Chinese fur trade.

Ahhh...The Fins are ganging up on me...lol

according to this http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6V5X-4H5MYS1-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=3e8a2c7c3eb16629a8ef32af406b1427
brushes are made of Eurasian badgers or hog badgers.
Maybe somebody knows better than us...:lol:

I'm still confused.

Meles Meles seems to have plenty of long hair to make brushes with:

full

While Melogale Moschata seems to have awfully short hair for that purpose.

full

:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom