What's new

... oh, what a pickle ...

Speaking of sandwiches ...

Dunno why, but I can't find a decent pickle in MA. And it should go without saying, but when I say pickle, I mean dill(ed) pickle.

In New England, it seems that they take a small cucumber, splash it with a bit of vinegar (that might perhaps have briefly been introduced to a clove of garlic), & call it a pickle. The horror.

When I lived in Toronto, Strub's was my pickle of choice. For me, the best was a batch of new dills ('half-sours') that was somewhat more aged, but not fully sour. Happily, I learned a while back that Trader Joe's house brand is made by Strub's.

My mother's sister made an outstanding pickle. A bit more pepper in the brine than one might usually encounter, but it made for a splendid bite.

In the U.S., Bubbies is pretty darned good.

And the best had to be during Passover a few years ago, when my dad ordered a gallon tub that came to us from some outfit in Manhattan's lower east side.

So, what of it, pickle-philes?

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
I purchase these half sour pickles at Publix in Florida. They are good, but not as good as the ones at Katz's or Carnegie Deli in NYC... would love to know their sources...perhaps in house?

Full sours, garlics and cajun's for me. I generally like to get them from the guy in the flea market who has the 50 gallon drums of all sorts of pickled and dried goodies.

Mrs White's.
Big jar, cloudy brine, garlic en masse, it'll corrode your fork before you get the last pickle out.
Delicious.

I've never had a better pickle than the one's from the Lower East Side in NYC. I used to work on Grand St. and there was a guy around the corner, I think the name of the store was actually The Pickle Guy, but I don't remember for sure. I too am partial to the Half-Sours.

One of those next to a warm Corned Beef on rye with spicy mustard is heaven!

edit: google is a wonderful thing

http://www.nycpickleguys.com/

As a New York displaced person, it can be tough here in New England.
Head over to the Crown Market in West Hartford, CT....Kosher market. decent pickles. It's still no Ben's, or Lower east side...but hey...what can you do.

Top Bottom