What's new

Gentlemens Refinery aftershave balm

Has anyone tried Gentlemens Refinery aftershave balm unscented? I got a small trial size From Jim at vintage blade and it is wonderful stuff. I am a little put off at the cost of it at $40 (Jim seems to have the best price and even if he didn't it is worth paying a little more threw him because of the excellent service you get there.) but I am willing to pay it unless any of you guys can suggest something else/better.

I adore TGR's Unscented balm. Personally, I have not found a balm that I prefer over it, although many seem to like CAR's Hydrolast balm (available from Enchante in Austin).

FWIW I think it's worth every penny. It lasts for quite a long time, and it works exceptionally well.

If you get it straight from TGR's website, shipping is free (or it used to be).

I tried it recently and did not like it. However, if you got a sample and liked it and don't mind paying the asking price I'm not going to dissuade you from buying it.

it's excellent. works wonderfully. smells wonderfully. the only downside is the price.

a close second, especially in the "absorbs quickly, no tackiness" department are the SCS aftershave milks. my SCS lavender is kick *** and the price is so very right. $10 a bottle!

sue doen't get much love for her ASB's but she should. they're outstanding.

I had a sample, used it for three shaves. It didn't really work for me--it didn't absorb quite as fast as I like, and not QUITE as soothing as I wanted. I got some AS milk from The Shave Den, and it is FANTASTIC. Moisturizing, soothing, and available in a great range of scents. 4 OZ for 14.99, can't be beat as far as I'm concerned.

I had a sample, used it for three shaves. It didn't really work for me--it didn't absorb quite as fast as I like, and not QUITE as soothing as I wanted. I got some AS milk from The Shave Den, and it is FANTASTIC. Moisturizing, soothing, and available in a great range of scents. 4 OZ for 14.99, can't be beat as far as I'm concerned.

Have you used Gentlemens Refinery balm and if you have how does it compare to the Shave Den product? I looked up both products and they both have very similar ingredients.

Have you used Gentlemens Refinery balm and if you have how does it compare to the Shave Den product? I looked up both products and they both have very similar ingredients.

Yeah, I just ordered a few Shave Den samples because of this. I have a sample of the Gentlemen's Refinery which I like, but the price is a bit steep. We'll see how the Shave Den compares.

Yes, when I said "I used it for three shaves.." I was referring to the Gentlemen's Refinery Balm. It just didn't sit well with me, and my wife even said that we could drop the $$ on TGR if it was any good. For me, it wasn't. Meanwhile, I just reordered my TSD...with half a bottle left. Don't want to run out!

Yes, when I said "I used it for three shaves.." I was referring to the Gentlemen's Refinery Balm. It just didn't sit well with me, and my wife even said that we could drop the $$ on TGR if it was any good. For me, it wasn't. Meanwhile, I just reordered my TSD...with half a bottle left. Don't want to run out!

What scent do you usually order?

I thought about trying this, but it was always the price that put me off. I may have to go the "sample" route just to see how it is.

What scent do you usually order?

My first bottle was "Mayan Gold". Awesome, awesome scent. Dark, rich, slightly sweet and very masculine. My wife thought it was very nice, as well (she hated the smell of the TGR balm--said it smelled like herbal medicine...). I just ordered another one of those, plus a sample of Old Spice style and Bourbon Vanilla. Check out JoAnna's scent descriptions, she has a TON of scents.

BTW, I am just now ordering sample sizes so I can try a variety--the sample sizes are enough for probably a good 2-3 months of daily shaves (Mine go kind of quick because I use the milk as a facial moisturizer at night...) and come in a quality glass bottle.

I honestly can't recommend them highly enough...

I thought about trying this, but it was always the price that put me off. I may have to go the "sample" route just to see how it is.

You should email them, they send samples internationally so and installation address should be no worry; I got three shave creams, a balm, a moisturizer and a preshave oil. The only one that really did anything for me was the moisturizer. I briefly thought about buying it, but I don't need it anymore (see above :biggrin: ). Give it a try, you might like it....
But if you do, brace your wallet for a hit...

I use TGR Unscented every day......and I absolutely love it. I find it to be quick-absorbing, light, and very soothing. While I haven't tried SCS, I find TGR to be worlds above anything like Nivea, which is really good quality for the price.

I bet if you were to write TGR, they would send you another sample of both the Standard and Unscented balm. They are very generous with samples, and if you ever make an order, you will receive an abundance of samples to try, from their cream and pre-shave oil to their balms and moisturizers.

You should email them, they send samples internationally so and installation address should be no worry; I got three shave creams, a balm, a moisturizer and a preshave oil. The only one that really did anything for me was the moisturizer. I briefly thought about buying it, but I don't need it anymore (see above :biggrin: ). Give it a try, you might like it....
But if you do, brace your wallet for a hit...

I had a look at the TGR website and it says samples are shipped internationally for $25, while the actual set of samples itself only costs $5. The expensive shipping put me off from ordering the samples.

Alex

I had a look at the TGR website and it says samples are shipped internationally for $25, while the actual set of samples itself only costs $5. The expensive shipping put me off from ordering the samples.

Alex

HAH?!

I just dropped them an email with my address, saying I'd like to try some free samples and got them in the mail 2 weeks later....

Wonder if it was a limited time deal? I sure as heck wouldn't pay $25 for samples!!!

Top Bottom