What's new

Who else uses Fountain Pens?

I admit it, I am a sucker for fountain pens. Elegant to write with and force me to slow down and be more legible. Vintage Esterbrooks and Sheaffer's to modern Pelikan's and Cross'. Who else enjoys this bit of luxury?

I have never been blessed with a decent fountain pen and never justified ponying up the cash for one. I met a coworker who used them however and realised that they really could be pleasant to write with considering the long mathematical analysis I do and note-taking. It does indeed make me more legible and even helps me remain destressed during exams. I still have no good pen, having no idea where to buy one, and use Platinum Preppy pens, which if you get a good one, and get it broken in, and replace the ink, I find they write passably.

There is nothing like writing with a fountain pen, and for under $30 you can buy a Lamy Safari. It has a steel nib, but it writes superbly! In fact, I own four of them in addition to many other pens of varying quality.
And yes, writing with a fountain pen does make one a neater writer. The problem is that a good deal of the paper manufactured these days won't handle real ink. The paper tends to make your writing feather, shows through on the other side, etc. But, if you have a fountain pen and the right kind of paper, the experience is unequaled. Let me put it this way: writing with a fountain pen is like shaving with a quality razor and blade.
Now here's a little trick: if you'd like to see what a fountain pen feels like, and don't want to spring for one, try the Pilot G-2. The feel of the ink is the closest thing to a fountain pen I've come across. Of course, the nib doesn't develop the character of a fountain pen nib (these become increasingly personalized over time,) but it does a fine job of writing, and can be had for under $2. Try it, and if you like it, decide to take the next step upward. Or--even stay right there. The G-2 still makes writing an experience, rather than a chore. Kind of like wet-shaving.
My FP lineup:
Waterman Opera (expensive)
Waterman Phileas (proves that you can get a Waterman pen for a small price.)
Parker 45 (arguably the best FP ever made. )
Sheaffer Palladium Silver
Pelikan M-600
Pelikan Level 5 ( inexpensive, but superb writer!!!!)
Pelikan Technixx
Cross Century II
Cross Apogee
Cross (something or other--it was $19, but writes like a dream.)
and a few others that I'll mention later on.
see--it's like collecting shaving stuff.:wink:

I use FP's all the time, I have a few:

2 x Montblanc (147/149)
1 x Delta 'Dolce Vita'
1 x Sailor 1911 Naginata Togi
1 x Parker Duofold
1 x Waterman Edson
1 x Waterman Exception Night & Day
1 x Pelikan M200
1 x Lamy Safari
1 x Cross Townsend
1 x Caran d'Ache Leman Godron

:tongue_sm

I have four or five of them, but one I use regularly. It's an entirely custom made pen, other than the nib. I really need to make one similar to it at some point, but far cheaper. A beater fountain pen, if you will.

And yes, writing with a fountain pen does make one a neater writer. The problem is that a good deal of the paper manufactured these days won't handle real ink. The paper tends to make your writing feather, shows through on the other side, etc. But, if you have a fountain pen and the right kind of paper, the experience is unequaled. Let me put it this way: writing with a fountain pen is like shaving with a quality razor and blade.
Now here's a little trick: if you'd like to see what a fountain pen feels like, and don't want to spring for one, try the Pilot G-2. The feel of the ink is the closest thing to a fountain pen I've come across. Of course, the nib doesn't develop the character of a fountain pen nib (these become increasingly personalized over time,) but it does a fine job of writing, and can be had for under $2.

I've found the UniBall Vision Elite to be even closer when it's nice and full. The ink is absolutely incredibly fluid and free flowing, to the point where it will form little pools within the ink line. Also has some of the same issue with feathering and bleed through, perhaps due to the wetness of the ink.

I have quite a few pens and inks. I love writing with them but I don't get to use them as much as I like.

I have never been blessed with a decent fountain pen and never justified ponying up the cash for one. I met a coworker who used them however and realised that they really could be pleasant to write with considering the long mathematical analysis I do and note-taking. It does indeed make me more legible and even helps me remain destressed during exams. I still have no good pen, having no idea where to buy one, and use Platinum Preppy pens, which if you get a good one, and get it broken in, and replace the ink, I find they write passably.

There are lots of great fountain pens under $20: Lamy Safari, any Hero, any Pilot, Waterman Kultur, etc. There are many online stores but I recommend isellpens.com for the Pilots and Heroes.

There is nothing like writing with a fountain pen, and for under $30 you can buy a Lamy Safari. It has a steel nib, but it writes superbly! ... The problem is that a good deal of the paper manufactured these days won't handle real ink. The paper tends to make your writing feather, shows through on the other side, etc. But, if you have a fountain pen and the right kind of paper, the experience is unequaled.

I also have a Safari and agree that some paper is just not suitable, which is annoying ... usually find it is the recycled type. Love using FP's!

- Aaron

It is a very similar experience to a good shave, using a good FP. My favorites are my Pelikan's, Crosses, Estie's, etc. Won't put up with one with a poor nib.

I have a beautiful old Parker51 (filled with Noodlers Legal Lapis) that I use everyday at work.
Love the pen, the ink .....the entire process and I will not succomb to FPAD nor FPIAD. Ever.

My every day pen is a Pelikan M600. I also keep some cheaper steel-nibbed pens at my desk, mostly for ink variety. I have a couple of Sensas that are very comfortable to use and a couple of Rotrings. The real AD problem for me lately has been Noodler's inks: too many choices, too many colors, too many formulations, too much fun.

I use a Lamy 2000 with Aurora Blue a a daily writer. And, among a few cheaper ones, I have a Waterman L'Etalon, which I don't use much.

Love 'em. I've written with them prett exclusively for the past 6 or 7 years. Right now I have a Parker 45 loaded with Noodler's FPN Galileo Manuscript Brown and a Parker Vacumatic with Noodler's FPN Van Gogh Starry Night Blue. I love vintage fountain pens.

Esterbrook J - 2
Parker Vacumatic - 1
Parker 45 - 1
Sheafer 500 - 1
Conklin Nozak - 1
Aurora Style - 1
Namiki Falcon - 1
Hero 329 - 2

Soon to add an Edison Herald eyedropper fill. Noodler's inks are great. I too have an AD with Noodler's inks. Please help... send me all the Noodler's ink that you don't like! :biggrin:

Love my Lamy Safari. Coming soon to a stocking near me, a Pelikan M200! OOoh I can't wait!

(PS DeakonKC saw you over at FPN, here's to fine shaves and good writing:biggrin:)

Another good Chinese "cheapie" is the Bookworm, available at hisnibs dot com and other sites. But that is my only fountain pen right now ... I'm scared to go upscale. :rolleyes:

It is a very similar experience to a good shave, using a good FP.

+1: been using FP's for most of my writing for a good dozen plus years now, and I have no doubt that what draws me to using them also drew me to DE shaving -- very tactile, requires a mindfulness and attention to what I am doing (get a mess if you don't: ink with the FP and blood with the DE!! :biggrin:), the quality of craftsmanship, the pleasure-factor, etc....

Have bought, sold and traded dozens and dozens of FP's over the years -- "down" to around 12 right now. A bunch of various Pelikan models and Sailor 1911's are the standard, day-to-day work horses, inked with various colors for various uses at work, and then there are the more "special" ones that I rotate:

• Visconti Wall Street (my favorite)
  • Namiki Nightline Yukari (my other favorite :001_smile)
  • MB Silver LeGrand
  • MB F. Scott Fitzgerald (my other other favorite -- esp for a MB!)
  • Stipula Etruria
  • Montegrappa Extra (in Turtle Brown)
  • Delta Dolce Vita Soiree...

Favorite (and standard) inks: Private Reserve American Blue (recently kicked Aurora Blue out of the top blue spot...), Private Reserve Spearmint, Aurora Black and Rotring Brilliant Red (discontinued quite a few years ago -- I bought up all I could from suppliers around the country; have about 6 bottles left! :001_rolle)

I have several and use my FPs daily.

My best writers (in order) are:

Pelikan 800 (fine nib)
Lamy 2000 (medium nib)
Waterman Carene (fine nib)

My favourite cheapies are:

Lamy Safary (fine and medium nibs)
Pelican Go (medium nib)
Parker Super 21 (fine nib)

I have four or five: a Lamy Safari, a '46 Parker 51, a Pelikano, and a couple of Heros, one of which I carry in my pocket every day. The Hero pens are fantastic for the money.

Top Bottom