What's new

Another New Member Check-in!

Hi All,

This may be long, since I've been lurking for over a year!

My first hearing about wet-shaving was when I read a shaving article in a book called "The Expert's Guide to 100 Things Everyone Should Know How to Do". The intriguing thing about the article was the emphasis on the badger hair brush and good quality cream/soap. Later I saw a spot on the Today show again talking about the brush and soaps, old razors with really cheap blades, etc.

Started with a Van Der Hagan boar brush and VDH soap. I liked it, but within about two days found B&B and classicshaving.com and had a Merkur HD, Vulfix 2233 brush and some TOBS Avacado on the way as well as a sampler pack from WestCoast shaving. I'm on my second sampler and have added many other creams and some Tabac soap.

The information on B&B was a huge help with enabling my budding addiction!! I mentioned to people about the cheap blades, but never mentioned that my "real" reason for installing a whole house water softening system was to get better lather!

Eventually, I was lured to trying shaving with a straight. I ordered an excellent shave-ready straight and strop from KenRup on StraightRazorPlace.com. This brings me to my question: What should the first WTG pass "FEEL" like? I've read a lot including Joel's wonderful interactive guide. I read a description once (probably describing the ultimate razor,lather,prep, etc.. ever) but it really stuck with me. I think it was that it felt like a warm sponge just wiping away the whiskers. I know it isn't a realistic experience for my first week, but I'm not really sure what I should be expecting it to feel like.

The shaves on my cheeks and neck got much better by day four. I think my stropping and prep got better. But I can't get near my chin without nicking it up. I've realized stretching is much more important than with the DE, but it still feels like it's pulling a bit rather than sliding across my skin and cleanly slicing the whiskers.

Sorry, I'm starting to ramble... boiling down my questions:

• What is the sensation of a decent WTG pass?
  • Is the sensation different depending whether there is one days growth, or three?
  • Should i use the linen side of the strop each time, or just occasionally?
  • Should I place the razor gently (for example below my bottom lip) then start moving it? Or get a "running start"?

Any of your thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. I've really enjoyed reading all the experiences of the folks here. It seems to be the most welcoming forum I've ever "lurked" on.

Thanks everyone.
Jon

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Hi Jon,

Welcome to B&B.

I'm sure the straight users will be along shortly to address your questions.

Hi Jon,

Welcome to B&B.

I'm sure the straight users will be along shortly to address your questions.

+1..especially the welcome! I am still on the upside of the learning curve with str8s..so all I know is I need to know more!!

Welcome, don't know all to much about straight shaving unfortunately just trying to get my safety razor down then maybe I can ggo venture.

Welcome to B&B, Jon. I can't help you with the str8 razor, either, but I did just happen to go to a barber this past weekend and got a shave from a lady barber who used a str8 razor, and the first pass didn't feel like she was wiping it off with a sponge. It felt more like scraping. She did say my beard is very coarse. I'll be interested to see the responses you get from the str8rs here.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes guys! Straight shave number 5 was pretty good this morning. Even though I read it a million times, I think I'm starting to appreciate the importance of serious stropping. Even got my chin and lip this morning without blood! I think I'm going to like this!

Top Bottom