What's new

Safety Razor Of the Week, 11/23–11/29 The Gillette Toggle Adjustable

The Gillette "Toggle" Adjustable

proxy.php

Photo courtesy of our own mr razor

This week I would like to take a look at and discuss another of the unique shavers to the wet shaving world, the Gillette Toggle Adjustable.

proxy.php

The Gillette Toggle Adjustable hit the shaving scene in 1958 as a limited regional test. The patent was first brought about by Meyer J. Shnitzler, Brookline, Edward Michael Lewiecki, Hingham, and Joesph Muros, Newtonville, Mass assignors to Gillette Company, Boston, Mass. A corparation of Delaware. Application November 1, 1955, Serial No. 544,226.
It re-appeared again in 1960 in the third and forth quarter for the Christmas season and then it was to be made no more. The Toggle came in the familiar hard case as well as the lesser known soft case or pouch.

proxy.php

The Toggle is 4” in length Gold plated and weights in at 3.1 oz. It as a flip open head design, bottom tip of handle works as a lever to pull tight a metal shaft which runs up the inside of the handle and pulls the head doors closed.

The Toggle adjustable was designed so that the shaver could adjust the razor i.e blade edge exposure to their own beard conditions. The thought behind this was as follows;
1,2, and 3 where designed for people with the lightest of beards and tender skin
4,5 and 6 where said to be for folks with average skin and beard and used by the majority of shavers
7,8 and 9 was thought to be for the shaver with the most dense, hard-to-shave beards.

Here is a close-up look at the rare 1958 prototype that sports the red dot and the digits 1 through 5 only.

proxy.php

Most all of the Gillette razors came with an instruction booklet. Here is a photo from the 1960 set. As shown in our very own WIKI page.

proxy.php

Here is my SOTD for today 11/23/2008

proxy.php

Information and pictures have been collected from various sources including the net, (mr razors page), Thank you Achim. The Complete Gillette Collectors Handbook, By Phillip L. Krumholz, The B&B Wiki and my personal thoughts and opinions (which may not be a reflection of the management).

Any and all information about this razor is more than welcomed.

Back to Safety Razor of the Week.

Nice Ray! Thanks! I still need to get one of these. Scott should post pictures of his. It is pretty!

Thanks for the info and pics, Ray.

I've always wanted to see a Toggle up close. Not sure about trying one - adjustables and me don't seem to go together too well. :rolleyes:

Nice work, as always.

Wow.. Thanks again for this weekly thread. The toggle looks even more tempting now.

I notice in the pictures of Mr. Razor's nickle toggle that the adjustment knob has a wider section between 9 and 1. I think I see the same thing in socttydoint's nickle toggle. However, I haven't seen this in other toggles or in other models. Is this unique to just the nickle toggle?

I notice in the pictures of Mr. Razor's nickle toggle that the adjustment knob has a wider section between 9 and 1. I think I see the same thing in socttydoint's nickle toggle. However, I haven't seen this in other toggles or in other models. Is this unique to just the nickle toggle?

You can seen this wider section on the 195 Fatboy too:

proxy.php

nice review Ray, question other then the closing mechanism do these shave any different then a fatboy or are the basically the same other then that?

I just sold my toggle to SableDog, who should be receiving it mid-week. That'll allow him to participate in the 'Toggle Week'.

I really liked shaving with the toggle, but felt it was time to pass it along to another B&B'er. If you have the opportunity to acquire one for shaving, you should do so, as they are just wonderful shavers.

-- John Gehman

Hi All,

I have a sort of unusual Toggle, but sadly I can't post any pics. This one's a gold version, dated D1, which makes it a very early model I believe. The numbers are 1-9, but no red dot on the handle.

These things are definitely a different shaver than my fatboy......the weight somehow makes it more aggressive, which is interesting.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this.
Martin

I had my 1st Toggle shave today and it was good (with special guests Tabac, BBE brush, Swede Gillette, Thayers Rose, and 1805 aftershave balm--That's a combination to be thankful for :biggrin:)!

It's been a long time since I've used my Fatboy, so a comparison is difficult but I'm thinking it feels like a longer handled fatboy. The balance and weight are very nice and blade access is very cool! I'm pretty sure it's a keeper. :thumbup:

Just got one in the mail today from ebay. I like this razor, it has been someone's favorite as it has a lot of the gold worn off the doors, but is obviously been well cared for. I can't wait to try it tomorrow!

It seems to me that all toggles have those red dots and the red stripes. Is that true? So is the way one differentiates between the prototype and the 1960's version by checking how many adjustment dials it has?

Excellent post Ray! If you ever decide you need to part with one of your NOS sets be sure to let me know! For some reason this is on the short list of must haves for my collection!

Top Bottom