What's new

I need help using an Alum Block.

I started using an Alum block about 2 weeks ago and really like it. I am having a problem with bumps and general bad skin in one area, it really is bad! I apply then leave on a little while then rinse off and then use witch hazel. Am I suppose to be washing the alum off with soap? I am starting to think that the Alum is closing my pores and clogging my face up and I should go back to the standard bump control paste. Help!

Thanks,
Richard

I have never needed to use soap to wash alum off. But, I find that I can only use alum every once in a while. Otherwise, I find a similar problem, that it closes up my pores, and can cause problems. Basically, I use it in moderation, every once in a while. Especially if you are also using witch hazel, that is two astringents in a row. It may be a bit much.

Thanks for the information! I was thinking that the Alum Block was something I could use everyday and have not heard about these problems.

Thanks,
Richard

I almost never use Alum at all. My technique is ok enough that I almost never get so much as a nic or irritation. If I do use it, I don't leave it on for more then a min. two at the most.

Regards

I use alum on my neck every day. I leave it on for about a minute and then rinse it off with cool water. I don't wash it off with soap.

I have hyper-sensitive skin and tree stump whiskers. I use an alum block everyday.

After a cold water rinse, I run the block over my entire face, and twice over my neck. Then I allow it to air dry, never rinsing it off. This completely prevents irritation, bumps, etc.

Alum is great for your skin. I use it every day. Apply it and then after a few minutes just rinse it off.

+1. What he said. I think that using alum daily has improved my complexion. I keep mine in the freezer for a chilly application. If you choose to do this, be sure to wet the block before using it!

Yeah let it air dry and it will help alot. Have you been using a shaving balm afterwards? Also have you tried using a hypoallergenic cream just to make sure that you arne't allergic to anything.

so...witch hazel or alum bloc? Are they more similar than different? I use witch hazel and it is v good. Any requirement to switch to alum instead?

Top Bottom