What's new

Watch Tool kit

Once again I find myself in need of advice...
This time around I am contemplating the purchase of a watch repair kit

I need to remove a few links on some of my watches... I also need to replace the rubber strap on another... I would like some suggestions on a simple inexpensive repair tool kit so that I don't waste my Saturday mornings going over to the Jewelers...

Thanks again,

:biggrin:

Visit ofrei.com, you can find just about anything you need for watch repair at all price levels, including hard to find parts and straps.

Since you can probably spend days looking around their site, this is what I own for what you're looking to do:

You need to hold the case in lieu of a third hand, search for CWR175.00 (cost $8.98). There are other choices

This is a nice spring bar tool with nice selection of tips for the price, search FB-504 (cost $24.95). There are other choices

For a bracelet link removal tool, search FB-506 (cost $15.95). But if your links are the screw pin type you'll need to look for something else

They have simple inexpensive stuff to serious heavy duty (and $$$$) equipment. Like I said, everything and anything a watch maker may ever need even.

What kind of watches do you guys own?

I have about $20 in tools and can do just about anything I need to on a watch. I purchased some stuff from watchprince.com, but ofrei is awesome too.

I have one of those little pin pusher things, double sided.

I bought an Orient submariner style watch, great watch but actually taking out the links to size it was such an unbelievable pain. The links are in so tightly that I had the bracelet squeezed in a vice and I was pressing as hard as I could, practically leaning all my weight into this tool and it wouldn't pop out, I felt like I was going to break the tool first.

Eventually, I ended up breaking the sort of fork shaped tool on the other side of the tool off, I'm not sure what it's used for, so that I could hammer on the other side.

So all in all, I don't know if it's just a matter of this particular watch, but sizing it was a brutal experience. I'd just go pay the $10 or however much the jeweler wants to get it done next time.

You might also want to check this place. I've placed a couple orders with Bob over the last year. Communication was good, service was quick, reasonalby priced, and fast.

I do recommend the Bergeon spring bar tool. Don't bother with the bracelet sizing tool if you're bracelet uses screws instead of pins. You can get very small screwdrivers (1.2-1.6.mm) at electronic component shops. I find my 1.5mm screwdriver seems to fit my Concord, Rolex, and Ball bracelets.

Mike

Top Bottom