What's new

Canned cream after 1 year

My mother has been very ill. Business has been up and down. The other day I found myself having to S/S shave and dress in 30 minutes. I keep a can of Barasol and Clubman canned shave cream as an emergency reserve. These products are truly emergency items and now I remember why. I only had time to apply the "lather" and do a WTG shave. The lather was light and full of air. It had essentially no lublication. It was better than shaving dry or with a wet face but not by much. Sometimes we tend to get so critical of wet shaving products. and grade them highly or poorly on slight differences. My recent experience made me pray for Williams as an alternative. Lets support these great manufacturers and spread the word. Even the least of the soaps and creams beat the heck out of canned products that I thought were great not too many years ago.

I agree with you completely on the down right disgraceful canned shaving creams. Even if I went back to using cartridge razors I would still use a brush to make my own lather.

And you didn't even mention the horror that is 'shaving gel,' I shudder to say its name. There are few worse ways to start a day than a face full of cold blue glop...

The worst shaving soap is like a golden nugget (or puck if you prefer)! then anything coming out of a can...IMVHO.:tongue_sm

I recently was given a Nivea sample bag, and inside was a little bottle of their Extreme Comfort balm which I occaisionally use anyway, and a bottle of their new shaving gel, which I gave to my lady for her legs. Out of sheer curiosity, I used it the other morning. I haven't really paid attention to canned stuff for a couple of years, but they do seem to have come on from the Gillette "cans of crap" I used to use daily. Honestly, it was surprisingly moisturising, very slick and the scent didn't make me scrunch up my face. Would I use it again? No, of course not. It's simply boring to use them when I know the fun and positive benefits of using a brush and decent soap/cream.

They aren't all bad. They're just a bit dull.

the nivea canned stuff isnt that bad, actually, it stands out a bit from the rest of the canned goo,

its still not up to par with basic creams like proraso, but the extreme comfort and the oil control/purifier lines are quite good for canned goo,

before i discovered this world, i had a daily fight against my Wilkinson cuatro, and i tried all the gel and foam cans out there, and nivea is basicly the top of the heap, theres nothing better that squirts out of a can,

Yes, the Nivea gels aren't that bad. I sometimes use them when I am away from home and don't have acces to my brush and soaps/creams.

Nivea is excellent, but I have good experience with Palmolive mentholated canned goo.
proxy.php

Proraso canned goo is difficult to beat though.....

I have tried it, and using it when I travel....

I could live with it.

The few times I ever used canned foam were awful. I had better success shaving in the shower with a multi-blade disposable and bar soap.

Now, if I had to shave w/o using a brush to whip up some lather, I would use most any SC brushless or Proraso SS - it's not a hard soap so you can scoop out a little and use it to "wash " the lather on your face. This wouldn't take any longer than applying "goo from a can."

For the rare occasion that I need to get out of the house fast and shaven, I use Proraso cream with out a brush or regualar Noxima. Like Bob above me said, just about any cream can be used brushless. Just a bit of water and scrub it over your beard.

That Nivea was seriously good canned goo. It's the only one that I have never gotten a nick out of, and that was with a old, getting dull Mach3 (emergency office supplies, btw Nivea is uber cheap at the NEX for you fellow shipmates out there)

I recently bought a travel pack of Nivea and thought it was awesome for a canned shaving soap. I also enjoyed the balm. I don't travel as much anymore, but it's in my kit for overnite stays.

I picked up a tube of Clubman brushless...Have only used it once...I wasn't that impressed...but I was in hurry...so I'll give it another try or two...If it doesn't get any better...I'll just PIF it to someone who would like to give it a try...

Regards,

+1 on the Nivea gel. Less than $3 a can and I got more than a month of shaves from one. I now carry the travel kit with me when I go out of town.

A few months ago, I picked up a travel can of Barbasol for kicks. Horrible. Just horrible.

My mother has been very ill. Business has been up and down. The other day I found myself having to S/S shave and dress in 30 minutes. I keep a can of Barasol and Clubman canned shave cream as an emergency reserve. These products are truly emergency items and now I remember why. I only had time to apply the "lather" and do a WTG shave. The lather was light and full of air. It had essentially no lublication. It was better than shaving dry or with a wet face but not by much. Sometimes we tend to get so critical of wet shaving products. and grade them highly or poorly on slight differences. My recent experience made me pray for Williams as an alternative. Lets support these great manufacturers and spread the word. Even the least of the soaps and creams beat the heck out of canned products that I thought were great not too many years ago.
Hmmm -- you picked the one wet shave product that I'd rather go without than use for shaving -- Williams. Tho' I do shower with it. I'd rather have a can of barbasol shave cream than Williams.

That aside, +1.

I hope your mother's health improves. And your business fortunes.

Hmmm -- you picked the one wet shave product that I'd rather go without than use for shaving -- Williams. Tho' I do shower with it. I'd rather have a can of barbasol shave cream than Williams.

That aside, +1.

I think I'd rather have the Williams over the Barbasol. While it is on the low end of wetshaving products, it is far better than goo out of a can. Even goo that's been heated. If I had a choice to shave with either canned goo or Williams, I'd go for the Williams.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom