What's new

I'm Making Popcorn

I think I'm on my 3rd Whirley Pop. This last one might last awhile. My wife was able to find one that is stainless steel instead of aluminum.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I think I'm on my 3rd Whirley Pop. This last one might last awhile. My wife was able to find one that is stainless steel instead of aluminum.

Where did you get the stainless one and what size is it?

I have a special popcorn popper on my short list for Christmas:

Cuisinart Easy-Pop Popcorn Maker, White

Now you can enjoy plain, buttered, cheese or caramel popcorn anytime. This efficient machine produces 10 cups of perfect popcorn in less than five minutes, using less than a tablespoon of oil. Its motorized stirring mechanism keeps the corn in constant motion, uniformly distributing heat so every kernel pops to tender, crunchy perfection. And the popper’s durable plastic lid can double as a serving bowl.

* A great gift for popcorn lovers.
* Vented to ensure crispier popcorn.
* Removable parts are dishwasher safe.
* 550W, 10 1/2" x 9 1/4" x 12 1/4" high.
* A Williams-Sonoma exclusive.

I have an induction cooktop and the aluminum Whirly-Pop doesn't work on that, so I have to get creative.

Also, I use peanut oil to pop my corn -- instead of corn oil. I like the taste.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I think she got it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond but I am not sure. Here it is on Amazon

Its a little taller than the aluminum one. Makes great popcorn.

I figured it would be priced about where it is. I got my aluminum one at a thrift store for about $3. If I ever wear it out, I might spring for the stainless one.

I have a special popcorn popper on my short list for Christmas:

Cuisinart Easy-Pop Popcorn Maker, White

Now you can enjoy plain, buttered, cheese or caramel popcorn anytime. This efficient machine produces 10 cups of perfect popcorn in less than five minutes, using less than a tablespoon of oil. Its motorized stirring mechanism keeps the corn in constant motion, uniformly distributing heat so every kernel pops to tender, crunchy perfection. And the popper’s durable plastic lid can double as a serving bowl.

* A great gift for popcorn lovers.
* Vented to ensure crispier popcorn.
* Removable parts are dishwasher safe.
* 550W, 10 1/2" x 9 1/4" x 12 1/4" high.
* A Williams-Sonoma exclusive.

I have an induction cooktop and the aluminum Whirly-Pop doesn't work on that, so I have to get creative.

Also, I use peanut oil to pop my corn -- instead of corn oil. I like the taste.

That baby looks pretty expensive for a unit that is only half the size as the Stir Crazy, although, Cuisinart is a pretty good brand name. Considering that mine is 27 years old and I only had to repair it once, I'll stick with it until it dies.

Now you guys are making me hungry. Time for popcorn. I use peanut oil, sometimes olive oil, even corn oil if I am out of the others, as long as it works and tastes good.

Black Jewel popcorn is my favorite. I had a yellow popcorn kernel stuck in my gums once that caused an infection and serious pain, I'll never eat yellow popcorn again. The black jewel is a smaller package all around, less chance for getting into that situation again, as for taste I can't really tell...

I also pop in a wirlypop and use whatever partially hydrogonated butter flavor popping oil I can get ahold of, drown the end result in butter add salt and garlic powder, SWMBO abhores this conccoction, I think I'll continue...:tongue_sm

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Ah what a timely question. My wife and I make big batches of Carmel popcorn with various nuts and Nuts N Bolts at this time of year to share with our friends. We use a big turkey roasting pan and given the spirit of the season we are generous with the seasoning.

Anyone want a recipe?

Mike

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Ah what a timely question. My wife and I make big batches of Carmel popcorn with various nuts and Nuts N Bolts at this time of year to share with our friends. We use a big turkey roasting pan and given the spirit of the season we are generous with the seasoning.

Anyone want a recipe?

Mike

Yes.

I just made a pot of popcorn. I have no fancy contraption, just a pot. I made it using olive oil and then added some zanarans, garlic powder and chilie powder.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I finally retired the old Stir Crazy some years ago and will not be replacing it. One of my concerns over the years is the negative health risks of nonstick coatings on cookware.

I also gave away the aluminum Whirly Pop popper because we have an induction cooktop now. So I replaced it with a stainless steel version. It works fine, but is disappointingly smaller than the old one.

I’m still using ruby red popcorn and it is still my favorite.

Now let’s talk about cleaning. Cleaning the Whirly Pop is kind of annoying. Because of the wooden handles it should not go in the dishwasher, but that does the best job. Even putting it in the dishwasher is a pain because of all the appendages.

My latest experiment was making popcorn in a covered sauté pan. I used my large, 12” Demeyere Atlantis on the induction cooktop. It went fairly well. It seemed to have about the same popped to unpopped ratio as the Whirly Pop. The best part was the quick and easy cleanup in the sink.

That’s my update on this old thread. Thanks for reading.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Yesterday I made a batch using my Made In sauté pan. While it popped the batch, it was not as well popped as the batch that I made in the Demeyere pan, as it had more old maids. I think it may have been due to using a different hob. So I might have to try it again using the same, larger hob that I used with the Demeyere pan. I’m not sure why I used a different hob, perhaps because there is a slight difference in size between the two pans.

I also took a picture of the Demeyere in action, but completely forgot about taking one of the Made In pan.
24A62CD4-7953-4D5A-90B1-7EF0CCE2DF01.jpeg

24622AB0-4BCE-401E-8F3E-AFA19780A27C.jpeg

Since this is the Speakeasy forum here is my contribution. Blantons flavored Popcorn. Ingredients pictured. Goes good with the Caramel popcorn.
This is actually from New Years Day 2020 as I got ready for a big day of college football.

Attachments

• 20200101_121847.jpg
    20200101_121847.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 4
Top Bottom