What's new

Buffalo Trace Bourbon

This brand has recently come available in my market after hearing much good about it. I was curious if any of you have an opinion or review of it? Perhaps compared to other more common bourbons?

IMHO, its a very accessible bourbon. Sweeter than most, barely any toasty or spicy notes. Far more distinctive than Makers', not quite as good as Woodford Reserve but cheaper, and for my money, I'd take the Eagle Rare which is made by the same distillery that makes Buffalo Trace, but I find its taste a lot more complex and enjoyable.

Buffalo Trace is a very good bourbon, on par if not better than Knob Creek and it's better than Maker's, IMO. I still like Woodford Reserve the best, but Buffalo Trace is awesome.

...for my money, I'd take the Eagle Rare which is made by the same distillery that makes Buffalo Trace, but I find its taste a lot more complex and enjoyable.

The excellent Eagle Rare 10yo/101 was discontinued to allow for the stocks necessary to support Buffalo Trace's flagship brand, Buffalo Trace bourbon, and the more expensively bottled Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10yo/90. For my money, ER 10/101 was the best of the bunch.

If I remember correctly, Buffalo Trace is made from dumps of 4 barrels of 6yo, 10 barrels of 8yo, and 4 barrels of 12yo. Eagle Rare Single Barrel 10yo/90 is, of course Single Barrel - but each one carefully chosen to be within the profile range for ERSB.

You really can't go wrong with these - the rounded complexity of Buffalo Trace or the pronounced differences that makes each Single Barrel, well, singular

Roger

If you live near Cincinnati or are passing through, the Cork 'N Bottle liquor store just across the river in Kentucky has had a number of single barrel bottlings of Buffalo Trace bottled especially for the store. Those I have tasted have all been outstanding.

Ken

The great thing about Bourbon is if you have $25 to spend, the list of very good Whiskies is long. If you had the same to spend on a bottle of Scotch, you could count them on one hand.

The great thing about Bourbon is if you have $25 to spend, the list of very good Whiskies is long. If you had the same to spend on a bottle of Scotch, you could count them on one hand.

Which Scotches would you personally recommend in that price range?

IMHO, its a very accessible bourbon. Sweeter than most, barely any toasty or spicy notes. Far more distinctive than Makers', not quite as good as Woodford Reserve but cheaper, and for my money, I'd take the Eagle Rare which is made by the same distillery that makes Buffalo Trace, but I find its taste a lot more complex and enjoyable.

This post is on the money.

I would say Dalmore 12, Glenlivet 12, Glenfiddich 12, JW Black and Teachers. I can get all of these for around $25 in my area. Not sure the availability or pricing in your area though, sometimes prices are all over the place.

I can only recommend two at that price, Suntory 12 (Japanese Single Malt) and Glenlivet 12.

JW Black is fine, but I personally find it the Scotch equavilent of Jack Daniels. Those are both very drinkable on the rocks, but not much else, IMO.

I would say Dalmore 12, Glenlivet 12, Glenfiddich 12, JW Black and Teachers. I can get all of these for around $25 in my area. Not sure the availability or pricing in your area though, sometimes prices are all over the place.

Those are all much higher in my area. *#%^&@ State ABC Board. I've tried all except Teachers and would say that the Glenlivet is the standout by far or those that remain. Consider yourself fortunate that you can get it so cheaply.

I can only recommend two at that price, Suntory 12 (Japanese Single Malt) and Glenlivet 12.

JW Black is fine, but I personally find it the Scotch equavilent of Jack Daniels. Those are both very drinkable on the rocks, but not much else, IMO.

I've always heard good things about Suntory. I'll have to give it a try sometime.

I agree on the JW Black, rocks is the only way I drink it. That's basically the only one I drink that way though.

The Suntory is good, however around $35 here.

Buffalo Trace is a very good bourbon, on par if not better than Knob Creek and it's better than Maker's, IMO. I still like Woodford Reserve the best, but Buffalo Trace is awesome.

Buffalo Trace may have bumped Knob Creek from my #1 choice. It's very affordable and very smooth. I've had friends say that Knob Creek is a bit harsh (I think they're nuts); so if that's true for you, try Buffalo Trace. You'll be happy you did.

Top Bottom