What's new

Newbie Fragrance Question

OK, so I'm very new at this. I've always enjoyed scents like GB Grey Flannel and Dana English Leather, and I'm very curious whether or not there are similar, but perhaps more sophisticated fragrances available. I look forward to your recommendations.

OK, so I'm very new at this. I've always enjoyed scents like GB Grey Flannel and Dana English Leather, and I'm very curious whether or not there are similar, but perhaps more sophisticated fragrances available. I look forward to your recommendations.

Suggest you go to basenotes.com and do your comparisons there. A good resource. By the way, just bought a 4oz edt and 4oz after shave splash in Grey Flannel for less than $15 at my local Gordmans. Believe Grey Flannel is being deeply discounted right now.

What exactly is a sophisticated fragrance vs. one that isn't? People always use that term to describe colognes but I wonder whether it actually means anything definitive.

- Basenotes is a great place to do research on what notes appear in what scents and peoples take on them. If you like certain notes, play with the database to see what pops up.

• Patchouli + Leather = Givenchy Gentleman
• Herbs + Leather = Bogart

- The Perfumed Court (http://theperfumedcourt.com) sells samples/decants of many different colgnes. Allows you to sample many of the mid or high end colognes without having to buy it first. Decants are not cheap, but they beat buying a scent without first having smelled it. Their samplers (Leather, Gentleman, etc) are great places to start.

- Many of the perfumers sell samples of their wares. Trumpers, Penhalligons etc have their fans here on B&B. If you visit their websites, you can order sample packs. If you can wait, Penhalligons usually has a big after-Xmas sales on their xmas packaged stuff.

SCS has one that is supposed to be very similar to GF...It was mentioned on the site, but I believe the reference was removed. All of Sues products are top notch and very well priced. Send her an em and she could tell you the one you are looking for.

Regards,

Grey Flanel... Violet and Lavender.
Another good Violet and lavender is Narciso Rodriguez.
You can continue with Egoiste, Ungaro III, C&S 88 and Cuba.

English Leather: We had a thread about leathers not long ago... look in there. I have heard that the Creed Royal Leather is quite similar to EL, but it is expensive. Be sure to ask / buy for samples from PEnhaligons, T&H and GFT. Check the Spanish Leathers of the last two. Also, I recommend you to try some Knize Ten. I has been reformulated, but I think I prefer the reformulated version. Finally give Rive Gauche a try. You may like it.

-
• Herbs + Leather = Bogart

- The Perfumed Court (http://theperfumedcourt.com) sells samples/decants of many different colgnes. Allows you to sample many of the mid or high end colognes without having to buy it first. Decants are not cheap, but they beat buying a scent without first having smelled it. Their samplers (Leather, Gentleman, etc) are great places to start.

+1

Two good cheap EDTs are Bogart and Cuba Red. YOu can get both for 20 USD more or less.

Since you like GB's Grey Flannel, I feel pretty confident you would also like 1903 by J. Peterman, and I find it much more smooth and sophisticated than GF. Also, Woods of Windsor for Gentlemen is along the same lines.

As to the English Leather, Creed's Royal English Leather is probably a close match, though I find it a bit too sweet. Montana d'Homme (red box) is a great, smooth, dry and slightly powdery leather, and quite affordable.

Creed's Cuir de Russie, if you can find it, is another great dry leather.

GFT's Spanish Leather doesn't really smell like leather so much as spices commonly associated with leather, but it's really nice.

I'll also second the recommendation of Givenchy Gentleman.

Knize Ten is a smokey leather, but I can't get past the burning rubber note.

Some dude around here sells very cheap decants/samples of most of these...

Thanks for your replies. I ordered a set of samples from TPC, and am currently trying out the Vetiver by Guerlain. So far, I'm really liking it.

Top Bottom