What's new

Blades for a 1904 Gillette

I'm eyeing a Gillette 1904 that looks to be in good shape, but I've got a newbie grade question for anyone who knows a bit about the older Gillettes.

These models came with the early no sharpen blades. I've never seen one of them in person, but they appear to be really thick. They have Do Not Hone or Strop written on them.

Two questions. First, can you use a standard thin DE blade in them? Second, is it really not possible to sharpen the old thick ones? They look like a pretty substantial piece of metal.

I would appreciate a reply from anyone who knows about these models.

Thanks, and smooth shaving to you.

Those razors indeed were designed for the older, thicker blades. But, my experience and that of others is that a modern thin blade will work just fine. Just be sure that the razor is properly tightened up and you should be fine. Some of the guys shim the thin blades as well, but it isn't really necessary. Be aware that these can be aggressive shavers and you should be fine.

Happy shaving and welcome to b&b!

Great! Thanks for the reply. I thought that would be the case, but I'd hate to have a wonderful old razor like that and not be able to use it!

I found a great 1905 double ring a couple of days ago. It has about 15 old blades with it, and yes they are a bit thicker than today's blades. Having said that I can also say that I have used it twice loaded with derby's and am very happy with my shaves. I also have a 1917 single ring that gives me fine shaves with the thinner blades. So unless you're being asked to pay an unusually large amount, I'd say go for it.
I'll have to get some pics up in the next week or so (I'm in the process of moving), the old blades look so good I'm half tempted to try one out.

They shave just fine with the newer blades. In fact, I just finished shaving with a 1912 single ring with a new Astra. No problem at all.

look

look over there

...its my hair.

ripped out.

lying all over the floor.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

hahaha, sorry ray todd, but that question is asked a lot. youll find that razor to be an AWESOME shaver. early gillettes are among some of my favorite razors, behind GEM razors of course.

I agree with the comments that these older razors tend to give an aggressive shave. They're rougher on my skin than more recent open comb razors and certainly than the safety bar razors. So I tend to use a sharp and smooth blade in my older Gillette razors - usually a Swedish Gillette. I get very close shaves and little irritation, though I never use this combination for consecutive shaves because it's just too rough on my skin.

It would be very interesting to hear from someone who used this type of razor with the blades that were made for them.

Did anyone of you ever try an old blade (that looked like new) and what was your experience with it?

i have, recently actually. it wasnt wrapped, but it was in great condition.. so i did some honing and stropping, and it WORKED, but a full shave wouldnt have been feasable w/o some more work on the blade. it made the razor feel like a SS or a tech though. it was weird.

Top Bottom