What's new

The Barber Shop, no really.

I am on travel in Palm Beach FL and stopped by Brooks Brothers to pick up a few shirts. I was in need of a trim so I asked the sales associate if there was a hair salon nearby. He recommended a barbershop around the corner and I decided to give it a try.

This place was small and run by a bunch of Italians who all migrated to FL from NY. I met one of the barbers outside and when I entered the shop I was amazed and very pleased to see three barber chairs covered in light blue leather. I settled in and flipped over the footrest as Vincent adjusted the chair to my frame. He wrapped my neck so fast and expertly that I just knew nothing would seep under and reach my shirt. The hair wash was first and before I knew it I was upright and spun around facing the mirror. He opened a cloth lined drawer and selected his weapon, a very sharp pointy pair of scissors. I could tell they were sharp by the way they blazed through my hair coupled with the sound. The points were so fine that he could cut around my ears with ease.

With skill, fineness and style he proceeded to give me the finest hair cut I have perhaps ever had. When finished (not really) he applied some product that felt cool on my scalp. Then he strapped on a palm massager and proceeded to massage my head, neck and shoulders. This went on for about five minutes, I was in heaven. He offered me a shave but I politely declined saying my DE is the only razor I will allow to touch my face at this time. I will never know if he could have pulled it off but I am not sorry to have kept my flesh intact.

He did touch ups before rinsing my hair and blow drying what was left. After a smoothing of finisher I was presented with a glorious and glowing review of my smiling face!

I am sure many of you have had a similar experience with a true barber, please chime in and tell of your experiences.

Sounds great! Although, you know, they do train barbers to shave people. I mean, it's their job. If he was as professional as you say, chances are good he would have given you the best shave you've ever had.

Sounds great! :thumbup1:
Unfortunatly I don't get to Barbers any more. I keep my hair at around Grade 2 or 3-4mm now. My wife says I look stupid with longer hair and prefers it as short as possible.
I remember going to Barbers when I was younger and nearly falling asleep because they made you feel so pampered and relaxed. :biggrin:

ive come to the conclusion that most barbers in the county i live in are useless wastes of space. even the italian barber in my town cant cut my hair the way i want, and sends everyone out who says "fade" w/ something out of the 50s that should be on someone named BUZZ.

i have found out that the african american barber shop near where i live does AMAZING AMAZING work. and for cheaper than the guy in town does. its a bit more of a drive, but they take there time on it as opposed to having you out in under 5 minutes (which counts to me), and theyre $2 cheaper. every week and a half im in there like clockwork.

We should keep a directory of "real" barbers.

I've never in my life gotten a massage. I'd love to find one that was that traditional around the Cleveland area. I should go where the Italians live.

I risked it last week and got an average cut. I've only found a few decent ones in my area and they're all on the other side of town.

-Mason

Italians are always awesome at stuff like that. My grandma usually takes care of my hair and she is the typical little old italian lady. The best haircut I've ever gotten was at a place called Floyd's in Boston. They also did the massage after a haircut.

Top Bottom