What's new

recommend a good case for a camera

hey guys I just bought a new lens

Now I need to find a good case to keep my lens's flash and chargers any brands and a good place to buy from would be great .

For those wondering . I have

Nikon D-40
18-55 mm lens
just bought the 55-200mm lens
flash = SB800

I would prefer that the case can fit all of this stuff and if has room for one more lens I may be tempted to buy another :wink:

Nick

already moved it when I realized I posted it in the barber shop :lol:

I just think "Moved to the X forum" is one of those funny, mod. one-liners. Since no mod. had said it, I couldn't help but interject. :tongue:

It's right up there with people who sell or trade items in the S&T of SMF and say, "Mod. Pls delete." That always gets me.

I just think "Moved to the X forum" is one of those funny, mod. one-liners. Since no mod. had said it, I couldn't help but interject. :tongue:

It's right up there with people who sell or trade items in the S&T of SMF and say, "Mod. Pls delete." That always gets me.

how about you recommend me a good case now :lol::lol:

Nikon makes/sells a case that would hold all that gear nicely. Its a top loader with a handle on the top, and a sholder strap. I got one when I got my D40x bundled with two lenes from wolf/ritz camera. If that one won't work for you I can recomend lowelpro bags/cases. For fair prices check B&H, or fleabay. Please let us know what you get, and how you like it. Good luck.

Depends on what you need the bag for. To protect my gear when I travel, I like the Naneupro backpacks. I have the U120. Nothing is worse than when someone stuffs a big wheeled carryon beside your bag in the overhead bin, or when the TSA folk slam your camera bag on/off the conveyor belt.

For walking around, I like the lighter Domke shoulder bags for when I am using SLR gear. The F2 should be plenty big.

Depends on what you need the bag for....For walking around, I like the lighter Domke shoulder bags for when I am using SLR gear. The F2 should be plenty big.

+1 on the Domke; I have the F-3X for walking around and love it; it's almost a tad too big, but then I end up using the space to throw a couple of other things in (often a compact digi; currently a D-Lux 3). I have a D70 and SB800 in it, along with extra batts, cards, notebook, manuals, etc. -- there's enough room to throw in another lens if I want. But it is too soft for rugged travel -- great for around town kind of stuff...

Depends on what you need the bag for. To protect my gear when I travel, I like the Naneupro backpacks. I have the U120. Nothing is worse than when someone stuffs a big wheeled carryon beside your bag in the overhead bin, or when the TSA folk slam your camera bag on/off the conveyor belt.

For walking around, I like the lighter Domke shoulder bags for when I am using SLR gear. The F2 should be plenty big.

I want/need the case for two reasons .

1. I would like to have everything in one case .Currently I have the camera w/ 18-55mm lens in one case the flash in another and the charger is just sitting on my desk.
2. I am going on a trip to Greece and plan on bringing all my gear . That said . I do not trust the airlines the case will be my carry on bag I would rather have the case take any hits rather then my gear .

+2 on Domke, I've been using a couple of them for over 10 years and they still look and perform great! One huge bonus is they don't LOOK like a camera bag, so they don't yell "STEAL ME!"

So here's the thing....you're going to get more stuff; it's inevitable. Graduated ND filters, just one more lens, then just one more lens, etc.

So I'd recommend going with a bit larger bag than you need right now, or you'll end up with quite a collection of them over time.

I use a LowePro Nova 5 AW for my gear. Holds a couple of bodies, a few lenses, flash, miscellaneous filters, etc. Nice bag, quality construction.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I've used Tamrak bags for years. They're adjustable and well padded.

So here's the thing....you're going to get more stuff; it's inevitable. Graduated ND filters, just one more lens, then just one more lens, etc.

So I'd recommend going with a bit larger bag than you need right now, or you'll end up with quite a collection of them over time.

I use a LowePro Nova 5 AW for my gear. Holds a couple of bodies, a few lenses, flash, miscellaneous filters, etc. Nice bag, quality construction.

Based on what i am seeing in terms of price and look this is what I will be getting . does any one else have one ? what are your thoughts on it ?

Also if any of you know of some thing better please feel free to let me know . I was hoping I would see more hard cases for my gear not just bags any other suggestions before I commit?

Thanks for all the help guys
Nick

Since your gear is on the light side currently, a shoulder strap bag could just work fine. If or rather once you pack more gear, it may become uncomfortable to carry.

I made that experience during holidays in Greece, walking around all day, which made me look for some back pack style camera bag. Finally, I went for a LowePro Slingshot AW 300, which is a pretty good compromise of comfortable carrying, spreading the weight on the shoulder and hip, and still reasonably fast access to the camera by sliding it forward.

Best regards,
Marc

I want/need the case for two reasons .

2. I am going on a trip to Greece and plan on bringing all my gear . That said . I do not trust the airlines the case will be my carry on bag I would rather have the case take any hits rather then my gear .

When I travel, I use the Naneupro U120 as my carryon. Aside from the camera gear, it has a laptop sleeve, and space for my book/magazine, water bottle, ipod etc. I find it too big for walking around town all day, though. A domke 803 flattens out nicely inside my check in luggage, and that is what I use at my destination (since I mostly use smaller rangefinders). When I travel with SLR gear, I may substitute an F2 or F3x for the 803, depending on the gear I am bringing, or just work out of the backpack, depending on circumstances.

I like my Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home for a walk-around shoulder bag with a couple lenses (+1 on the SLR body) and a flash + filters. For longer treks, I've that a Lowepro Slingshot 300AW works well (and can hold a little more gear). It only has one shoulder strap, but the waist strap and be used in such a way that almost all the weight is on your hips and makes it easy to carry for longer periods of time. There are smaller versions of both of these bags.

You didn't list the aperture of either of your lenses. I've found that this can be important when looking at bags because a large aperture lens will have a a larger diameter and may result in needing a bigger bag. I don't carry around a lot of gear, but all but one of my lenses are f/2.8 or faster, so they're pretty wide and I end up needed a larger bag than one might think.

Guys thanks for all the tips and brands I am really wanting a hard case more then a bag for my gear any suggestions for hard cases?

I was talking about this with a friend of mine and he recommended I buy a Pelican case have any of you have any thoughts ?

http://www.pelican-case.com

Nick

Pelicans are amazing.
I have several small ones for random electronics. Mp3 player, digi cam, cellphone. Waterproof and darn near indestructible. The larger camera cases have the pull-out foam to make a custom fit for anything, I have been considering one for my pistols.

domke f2 for shooting out of, and a pelican for shipping/traveling. the pelican case is pretty much indestructible, and waterproof to boot. i have actually packed a camera body, 2 lenses and a flash in a small pelican case, put the case and a bogen tripod into a black duffel bag and put the works into checked luggage. no problems!
pelican cases work well on canoe trips as well, just remember to tie the case into the canoe!

Top Bottom